It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill O Reilly Loves To Make False Statements

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I watch most of the commentary shows as well as read the papers as it's part of my job being a political scientist actually.

Nice try however.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Silentkiss

I watch most of the commentary shows as well as read the papers as it's part of my job being a political scientist actually.

Nice try however.
That's good to hear. So do you have to watch all of the MSM outlets as a part of your job or what? If that's the case, how do you think O Reilly compares to people on other networks, in terms of intelligence and accurate information?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

cool dude, and you know this how?

did you get really stupid watching him? any close relatives or friends you want to out for watching him?

how do you know that he will make you stupid and how can i believe you if you even seen him?

how does what you say actually work?

you ARE speaking from experience, right? i think your IQ dropped about a 12th grader,

from, nevermind.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

He is one of the more reputable commentators out of the bunch however he certainly puts his own "spin" on some of the issues. He has apoligized various times when he has been wrong which is something you don't see from the likes of Maddow or Shulz or any of the major networks.

For example, people like Limbaugh or Hannity are guilty of far worse blatant attempts to mislead than O'Reilly is in my opinion and though he can get worked up his is generally considered to be acting off of his deep beliefs than any hidden agenda.

He also has no problem with putting himself in volatile situations under scrutiny which he does quite often by appearing on very liberal shows like "The View". This indicates that he is confident in what he believes and is ready to defend it whether it's actually wrong or right.

Your examples in your opening post are certainly correct however they need to be taken in context with the rest of his career and compared to those of others and that kind of tells a different story.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

He is one of the more reputable commentators out of the bunch however he certainly puts his own "spin" on some of the issues.
Yes the "fair and balanced" reputation of Fox really falls apart in his lap.

He has apoligized various times when he has been wrong which is something you don't see from the likes of Maddow or Shulz or any of the major networks.
He has also chosen to lie even more rather than apologizing various times. But he does go on lots of shows and debates people, so yeah like you said he's confident in his beliefs.

Your examples in your opening post are certainly correct however they need to be taken in context with the rest of his career and compared to those of others and that kind of tells a different story.
That's the point of this thread though, not to analyze the entirety of his career, but to look at the false statements he's made.

And he doesn't just mix something up and come on and apologize, he often lies to cover up his lies. Look at the video where he talks about the Malmady massacre or the threats of jail time if you don't buy health insurance, he doesn't come on and say "Look guys, I thought this was true, but I had it mixed up. Here are the facts", but instead he comes on and justifies his lies with more lies. That's messed up.

edit on 9-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

cool dude, and you know this how?

did you get really stupid watching him? any close relatives or friends you want to out for watching him?

how do you know that he will make you stupid and how can i believe you if you even seen him?

how does what you say actually work?

you ARE speaking from experience, right? i think your IQ dropped about a 12th grader,

from, nevermind.
How about from the first search result on Bing when I type in "Fox viewers misinformed"?

See for yourself:

•Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

•Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

•The economy is getting worse (26 points)

•Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

•The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

•Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

•The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

•When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

•And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

The study also found that as exposure to Fox News increased, so did the misinformation.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I am curious why your selecting Bill O' Reilly when you can't watch the first 5 minutes of any Rachel Maddow show without seeing blatant lies she spews out. You obviously are not a fan of O'Reilly and instead of giving rational comparisons about all the commentary broadcasters you are choosing to single him out.

Very biased approach and rather pointless to debate you since your mind is made up.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I like this one better. ;-)

And Bill O'Reilly is an irritating man.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentkiss

He is one of the more reputable commentators out of the bunch however he certainly puts his own "spin" on some of the issues. He has apoligized various times when he has been wrong which is something you don't see from the likes of Maddow or Shulz or any of the major networks.

Well, as a political scientist (student?), you might appreciate keeping the record straight, at least regarding Maddow:

www.liveleak.com...

www.mediaite.com...

...but I agree that absorbing O'Reilly makes one stupid, and I don't think it's accidental, either.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Everyone is right. Sort of.

Bill O, Alex Jones, Rush, and many many others all do basically the same thing. They mix truth with "lies", lies being untruths or mistakes, that's the real issue isn't it?

The first few weeks I watched Fox I was really looking forward to "Fair and Balanced", then I could see story after story taking a right wing bias. This is admitted by Fox now and a given. MSNBC leans left. CNN goes pretty much everything pro government no matter who's in office. They all play commercials at the same time and are reading the same stories and pretty much the same time, so there is coordination at work here.

With the assumption that you are truly interested in knowing the "truth", when you "like" any one of these people, you tend to drop your critical thinking guard a bit, you're more likely to take their word for things without researching it yourself. Bill O may knowingly twist information to suit his network and fan base, then again, he may not be at any given time. You really don't know for sure which is which. For those that dislike him, it doesn't matter and you'll notice this more often than a "fan". A fan will forgive mistakes or worse because they remember the moments they agreed with Bill. We all do it to a certain extent, it's just human. Networks use the Bill O's and Maddows because they know people will relate to these personalities.

If you are REALLY interested in the cold hard truth, you would probably have issues with EVERYONE in media, because no one is perfect, everyone is affected by influences in their own lives,but again the question is, where is their heart and what is their overall record like? There is no one close to being completely accurate in media, NO ONE. The industry has moved towards opinion only and this is the result.

The audience has people that think for themselves and are intellectually curious and there are millions of complete idiots that will believe almost anything they hear and see on TV and there is nothing you can do about it. Trying to wake them up by pointing out the obvious will only frustrate their denial process and make you an enemy. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I am curious why your selecting Bill O' Reilly when you can't watch the first 5 minutes of any Rachel Maddow show without seeing blatant lies she spews out. You obviously are not a fan of O'Reilly and instead of giving rational comparisons about all the commentary broadcasters you are choosing to single him out.

Very biased approach and rather pointless to debate you since your mind is made up.
Yes my mind is made up about O Reilly, I made that pretty clear in the first sentence of the OP:

[color=limegreen]I so passionately despise Bill O Reilly that I decided to dedicate a thread to exposing some of the countless false statements he's made over the years.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

He is one of the more reputable commentators out of the bunch however he certainly puts his own "spin" on some of the issues.
Yes the "fair and balanced" reputation of Fox really falls apart in his lap.

He has apoligized various times when he has been wrong which is something you don't see from the likes of Maddow or Shulz or any of the major networks.
He has also chosen to lie even more rather than apologizing various times. But he does go on lots of shows and debates people, so yeah like you said he's confident in his beliefs.

That's the point of this thread though, not to analyze the entirety of his career, but to look at the false statements he's made.

And he doesn't just mix something up and come on and apologize, he often lies to cover up his lies. Look at the video where he talks about the Malmady massacre or the threats of jail time if you don't buy health insurance, he doesn't come on and say "Look guys, I thought this was true, but I had it mixed up. Here are the facts", but instead he comes on and justifies his lies with more lies. That's messed up.

edit on 9-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

maybe you need to apply for his job.

call my friend rupert, idiot.

lol!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentkiss

By the way? Just in case you had any illusions of neutrality on the issue, you do wear your own particular bias on your sleeve. As do I...but I'm not validating my comments as a 'professional'...simply one who likes to think he pays attention.

Regarding O'Reilly...and FOX News in general, truth is incidental to The Message.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You are making some pretty hefty assumptions right off the bat with the title to your thread. Bill O "LOVES" to make false statements?
Pyschopaths often times say what they mean with conviction, but it doesn't mean they love what they say. As a matter of fact, it's practically guarenteed he has absolutely no clue what is coming out of his mouth.
Frankly he looks kinda sad these days. I almost feel bad for him. He will be such a jerk at the oldie home.

CJ
edit on 9-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

You are making some pretty hefty assumptions right off the bat with the title to your thread. Bill O "LOVES" to make false statements?
Well he has lied to cover up his previous lies when he becomes aware that they are lies, so I don't think the title is too far from reality. Obviously he doesn't get some sick pleasure from lying (Although at times it may seem like it), but I'm sure people read the title and don't take it literally.

Pyschopaths often times say what they mean with conviction, but it doesn't mean they love what they say. As a matter of fact, it's practically guarenteed he has absolutely no clue what is coming out of his mouth.
Agreed.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yeah, I'm a little slow with the witticisms today. Just trying to pretend like I was serious. Bill is a windbag and I hope that really it is only the over 55 crowd that watches this clown.
CJ

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ditto, Tup. I despise the man. How his books are popular is amazing. They're sophomoric drivel, and full of inaccuracies. What makes me the maddest about him is his blatant demonizing of anyone who questions the govt's. role in 9/11. When he talks about 'the folks' and says that he's lookin' out for us, it makes my blood boil. He's part of the problem, and cares nothing about the solution. His lack of respect for Ron Paul is criminal, and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass. Try writing him with a dissenting point of view about 9/11. But, make the first one good because that's the only one that will get thru. I know this for a fact. The guy is a fraud.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Bill o'reilly don't give a rats azzz about the truth,or weather or not you agree with him.
Its all about the MEAN GREEN nothing more nothing less.

I've heard people who have been on show say thats he is one way on air and as soon as the camera is off he is another way.

Its entertainment..........i don't take him serious and i don't like him,but he has the right to spew his nonsense like the rest.

Those people who hang on his every word like its GOSFUL and buy his stuff.........NOW THOSE ARE THE TRUE DUM DUM DUMMIES!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join