It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Massive Power Outage Hits Southwest US - Post Updates Here

page: 7
72
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Plantgrll, I really don't know what comment you are talking about.


All I am saying is that a lot of people don't think it is possible for our grid to be attacked via the computer network, hacked, if you will. And no, it does NOT take 'reverse stuxnet' as you called it to do it. That level of sophistication is NOT needed.

And as for 1920 transformers, it would not suprise me. It was not long ago that our power grid was still using WINDOWS NT. In fact, I think it took MS stopping support for windows NT to get them to upgrade.

Slammer hit and it affected the grid, Up north there were blackouts and people wondered if they were related. The news assured us they were not but the infosec community continued to question it. IT later came out that, yes indeed, slammer had penetrated the systems that controlled the grid, and yes indeed, it HAD brought systems down during that time.

Now if it were a cyberattack, do I think Iran could do it? Yes. I do. But it could just as easily be the US testing itself, or someone else performing a bit of SOF.

And no one would know for a while, they'd have to analyze traffic and systems affected. After 3 hours no one in their right mind would say Yea or Nea definitely, unless that person was responsible for it and knew it for a fact and was admitting it.




posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
Detroit, MI

Los Angeles, CA

Long Beach, CA

San Diego, CA

where else?

www.sce.com...


Detroit??? Are you sure the person reporting didnt forget to pay their electricity bill?



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


NO, detroit was down too- I went to Google news not long ago and saw it in several articles, but it said they were mostly back up.

What I don't know is were they related somehow. It doesn't look likely, it could be coincidence. Or not.

The timing was close but I'm not sure b/t the time zones www.istockanalyst.com...
edit on 8-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlantGirl
reply to post by hadriana
 


WHAT?!?!?!

Just WHAT are you trying to say? I'm not blasting you here, just trying to understand your comment.

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks a bunch!


lol...i don't know what you are talking about, but if you are talking about what the OP is talking about, he's/she's blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.

he/she obviously, OBVIOUSLY doesn't know any dayum think about what life is like down here.

it wouldn't even qualify as news if it wasn't a slow news night. San Diego is always having electical problems. so is Arizona. not to mention the fact that most of the area he/she is talking about is desert. dry, unoccupied desert.

so how he/she decided it was a "massive" power outage "across the Southwest" is beyond me. I live in the southwest. it didn't even make the news. and, as you can tell, i'm typing on a computer, which needs energy to operate. and i dont have a generator going, either.

case closed. another case of Nothing trying hard to be Something.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lkpuede
 


It's not the op- the local radio stations were reporting and tweeting that it was massive, with millions affected.
So I am here in Georgia too, and I'm typing too, it didn't affect me either, it doesn't mean that it did not affect millions of people, and if I were trapped in an elevator or needing oxygen and the ER was full of other people with the same need, I'd consider it a significant event, wouldn't you?

And millions affected- to me that qualifies as massive.
So perhaps, if it is subjective, you shouldn't close the case so quickly because it didn't affect YOU.
edit on 8-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
it was a bad power supply on a sunserver rack

"Mfg. Part: XTA3310R01A1R436 | CDW Part: 471626



| UNSPSC: 43201802 ... SCSI RAID Drive Array with (12) 36.4GB 10000 rpm drives and two AC power supplies ... downtime by providing real-time data in the event of a component failure. ..


.Part: 471626

Outage Alert Note 471626

bad server.
mystery solved.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome
 


If that was the problem, is that it? if that was IT, that's it?
No redundancy or decent failsafe, in the grid that controls multiple large cities?

And that's it. We know. OK, move on.
We accept too much once we have words for it.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
reply to post by BobAthome
 


If that was the problem, is that it? if that was IT, that's it?
No redundancy or decent failsafe, in the grid that controls multiple large cities?

And that's it. We know. OK, move on.
We accept too much once we have words for it.


the OP is bored and needs something to talk about. that's all there is to it. I live in the southwest. I think if it was "massive", i might be affected by it. but all of New Mexico might could be included in "southwest US", but eeerthan is fine here. the vast majority of Arizona is fine too.

so there is a half of a third of Arizona, and San Diego, which is at the bottom of Calfornia, which is affected. but somehow, that becomes "massive".

yea ok.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome
 


Could you post a link to that information.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
reply to post by lkpuede
 


It's not the op- the local radio stations were reporting and tweeting that it was massive, with millions affected.
So I am here in Georgia too, and I'm typing too, it didn't affect me either, it doesn't mean that it did not affect millions of people, and if I were trapped in an elevator or needing oxygen and the ER was full of other people with the same need, I'd consider it a significant event, wouldn't you?

And millions affected- to me that qualifies as massive.
So perhaps, if it is subjective, you shouldn't close the case so quickly because it didn't affect YOU.
edit on 8-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)


umm...i live in the southwest, and i might think if it was so "massive" it might make the evening news...but IT DIDN'T.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lkpuede

Originally posted by PlantGirl
reply to post by hadriana
 


WHAT?!?!?!

Just WHAT are you trying to say? I'm not blasting you here, just trying to understand your comment.

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks a bunch!


lol...i don't know what you are talking about, but if you are talking about what the OP is talking about, he's/she's blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.

he/she obviously, OBVIOUSLY doesn't know any dayum think about what life is like down here.

it wouldn't even qualify as news if it wasn't a slow news night. San Diego is always having electical problems. so is Arizona. not to mention the fact that most of the area he/she is talking about is desert. dry, unoccupied desert.

so how he/she decided it was a "massive" power outage "across the Southwest" is beyond me. I live in the southwest. it didn't even make the news. and, as you can tell, i'm typing on a computer, which needs energy to operate. and i dont have a generator going, either.

case closed. another case of Nothing trying hard to be Something.


Wow, you really are full of yourself aren't you? I did not say it was 'massive', the NEWS HEADLINE I read then and linked to in my OP did.

Also, I do know what life is like there, I used to live in SD which is how I knew and posted it before anyone else.

I would not call 1.4 million people without power in SEVERAL states a 'case of nothing'.

Do you really have nothing better to do than go around trying to be contrary just for the heck of it?

Some people......



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by BobAthome
 


Could you post a link to that information.


yea here's your link. go to KOB.com, which is in the southwest, and investigate this "massive" power outage. and i'm not sure what the television stations are in Arizona or California, but google some of them and see what their local news says about a "massive" power outage.

get back to me i'll be waiting.



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Still defending the op- but the mainstream news is reporting it as "MASSIVE" too. I give you that it is a subjective term, but to me that leaves it open, because it is a subjective term that a lot of people would apply.

and my point was, if it was a sun server that failed, that's no excuse and tells us ZILCH other than it was something electronic- it was STILL some failure of redundancy that should have been there, or it was sabatoged, or both. Tells us very little really.

No critical system should ever be dependent on any one machine, or component..
edit on 8-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buskey

Originally posted by lkpuede

Originally posted by PlantGirl
reply to post by hadriana
 


WHAT?!?!?!

Just WHAT are you trying to say? I'm not blasting you here, just trying to understand your comment.

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks a bunch!


lol...i don't know what you are talking about, but if you are talking about what the OP is talking about, he's/she's blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.

he/she obviously, OBVIOUSLY doesn't know any dayum think about what life is like down here.

it wouldn't even qualify as news if it wasn't a slow news night. San Diego is always having electical problems. so is Arizona. not to mention the fact that most of the area he/she is talking about is desert. dry, unoccupied desert.

so how he/she decided it was a "massive" power outage "across the Southwest" is beyond me. I live in the southwest. it didn't even make the news. and, as you can tell, i'm typing on a computer, which needs energy to operate. and i dont have a generator going, either.

case closed. another case of Nothing trying hard to be Something.


Wow, you really are full of yourself aren't you? I did not say it was 'massive', the NEWS HEADLINE I read then and linked to in my OP did.

Also, I do know what life is like there, I used to live in SD which is how I knew and posted it before anyone else.

I would not call 1.4 million people without power in SEVERAL states a 'case of nothing'.

Do you really have nothing better to do than go around trying to be contrary just for the heck of it?

Some people......


yea i am full of myself. and since i live in the southwest, i might have heard about a "massive" power outage.

but i didn't.

soooo....maybe it's not as "massive" as is being portayed. but you can fall for that if you like.

it's kind of like a fool and his money...
edit on 8-9-2011 by lkpuede because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
reply to post by lkpuede
 


It's not the op- the local radio stations were reporting and tweeting that it was massive, with millions affected.
So I am here in Georgia too, and I'm typing too, it didn't affect me either, it doesn't mean that it did not affect millions of people, and if I were trapped in an elevator or needing oxygen and the ER was full of other people with the same need, I'd consider it a significant event, wouldn't you?

And millions affected- to me that qualifies as massive.
So perhaps, if it is subjective, you shouldn't close the case so quickly because it didn't affect YOU.
edit on 8-9-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)


Thank you! i was simply sharing a news event, not fearmongering or playing it up. Some people only comprehend what they want to instead of what they actually read. Guess it makes their life more worthwhile or something??



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lkpuede
San Diego is always having electical problems. so is Arizona. not to mention the fact that most of the area he/she is talking about is desert. dry, unoccupied desert.

Dry unoccupied desert? You're kidding right?



it didn't even make the news. and, as you can tell, i'm typing on a computer, which needs energy to operate. and i dont have a generator going, either.


Front page of CNN, I think, can be considered "making the news".

Power outages reported in southern California, Arizona, Mexico


case closed. another case of Nothing trying hard to be Something.


May I suggest taking a few deep breaths and an hour or two away from the computer? You might feel better.
edit on 8-9-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Cause of Widespread Outage Under Investigation
APS Works to Restore Service to Customers in Yuma Area

September 8, 2011

PHOENIX – At approximately 3:30 pm today, the North Gila – Hassayampa 500 kV transmission line near Yuma, Ariz., tripped off line resulting in a major power outage across southwest Arizona and into Southern California. Among APS customers, approximately 56,000 lost service throughout Yuma, Somerton, San Luis and Gadsden. APS is in the process of restoring service to customers in these communities.

The outage appears to be related to a procedure an APS employee was carrying out in the North Gila substation, which is located northeast of Yuma. Operating and protection protocols typically would have isolated the resulting outage to the Yuma area. The reason that did not occur in this case will be the focal point of the investigation into the event, which already is under way.

“We are working hard to restore our customers as quickly and safely as possible,” said APS President and Chief Operating Officer Don Robinson. “We take great pride in our hard-earned reputation for safe and reliable service, and we will work hard to identify the cause.”


APS is Arizona’s largest and longest serving electric utility and serves more than 1.1 million customers in 11 of the state’s 15 counties. With headquarters in Phoenix, APS is the principal subsidiary of Pinnacle West Capital Corp. (NYSE: PNW)

www.aps.com...



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
it was a bad power supply on a sunserver rack

"Mfg. Part: XTA3310R01A1R436 | CDW Part: 471626



| UNSPSC: 43201802 ... SCSI RAID Drive Array with (12) 36.4GB 10000 rpm drives and two AC power supplies ... downtime by providing real-time data in the event of a component failure. ..


.Part: 471626

Outage Alert Note 471626

bad server.
mystery solved.


Did you get this information off of a sequence of events recorder??

second



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
here is another link to the story massive power outage www.nbclosangeles.com... so stop bitching about the subject title



posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lkpuede
 


You're online, and you are in this thread, and you've not heard of it?
CBS reported it, and it's being reported widely online now. IT was on the top of the drudge.







 
72
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join