It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-ton NASA satellite set to fall

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah. Thanks. I guess it's done all the time but how come they didn't build the ISS here (say in a neutral zone like Switzerland) and THEN launch it? Seems if they have the technology to lift a small city then why make more work for themselves (unless the astronauts get paid by the day because THEN, it would make more wasteful sense). I guess the ISS was an experiment of sorts, eh? Isn't that being set to be discarded too?
Man, for a country that's about to go belly up there's an awful lot of money being blatantly wasted.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Probably because the ISS masses 460 tons.
It isn't so much as an experiment as a platform from which to perform experiments.
www.nasa.gov...

Science is seldom a waste. I think research which will help us leave this planet is worth every penny.
edit on 9/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think research which will help us leave this planet is worth every penny.

I like those words, well said.
Unfortunately we are losing to much pennies on making those @#$! weapons and war, so it might take longer than expected.

edit on 8-9-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Probably because the ISS masses 460 tons.
It isn't so much as an experiment as a platform from which to perform experiments.
www.nasa.gov...

Science is seldom a waste. I think research which will help us leave this planet is worth every penny.

I don't mean to banter on semantics but the ISS is an experiment. They weren't sure if they could build this mini-city and two, they weren't sure how a ventured deal with other countries would bode (especially ones that were our nemesis) So it was indeed a gigantic grass-root experiment.
And it looks like their experiment failed (or wasn't too well-thought out) because now they fear getting pummeled with space debris. Not sure why that wasn't factored in.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You didn't see the list of research which has been and is being conducted? What makes you thing debris (and meteroids) weren't "factored in"?

Sure. A terrible failure.
I disagree.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
reply to post by my3911

What has Elenin to do with a Extinction Level Event? It's just another comet. Some come close, most don't, some actually hit (Tunguska 1913). There is nothing unusual about this comet it's a perfectly natural phenomenon. Why is it that every comet these days is somehow perceived to be a harbinger of doom?

Edit to add:

We are far more at risk from a large asteroid...That could truly be an ELE! In the meantime our biggest concern regarding things dropping out of the sky is the satellite.
edit on 8/9/11 by Insomniac because: as above

ELEnin stands for Extinction Level Event Nibiru. Course the only way you'd know that is if you actaully read the ELEnin threads instead of ignoring them and thinking "oh its just another comet that will do nothing"

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
lil update;

As of Sept. 8, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 152 miles by 171 miles (245 km by 275 km) with an inclination of 57 degrees. Because the satellite's orbit is inclined 57 degrees to the equator, any surviving components of UARS will land within a zone between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude. It is impossible to pinpoint just where in that zone the debris will land, but NASA estimates the debris footprint will be about 500 miles long.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
and ;

NASA has scheduled a media teleconference for Friday, September 9, at which it hopes to be more specific. About all NASA has said so far is that the surviving components comprise "...a surviving mass of 1,170 pounds (532 kilograms) falling within a debris footprint length of some 500 miles (800 kilometers)." The agency does not yet know where that 500 mile footprint might be laid down. Recall that when SpaceLab did this same uncontrolled re-entry, most of it wound up in the Pacific, but a fair-sized chunk hit the ground in Australia. The same sort of result is not out of reason for this event.
technology.gather.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
N eed
A nother
S atellite
A SAP

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

How very clever. But it makes no sense.

UARS did what it was supposed to do and then some. It was designed to work for three years, it was decommissioned after 14.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

does it have any Nuclear fuel and what would happen when it hits the ground at between 675 and 1,000 miles per hour....

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
a surviving mass of 1,170 pounds (532 kilograms) falling within a debris footprint length of some 500 miles

I love how they're down-playing this. A half a ton of falling metal would certainly obliterate Los Angeles!

What's with all this space/satellite news lately anyway? And on the heels of Elenin no less? Does any one else think the timing is very suspicious or am I spending too much time on ATS?

We have ISS possibly evacuating due to 'space junk'
We have this satellite about to crash to Earth
We have comet Elenin and
comet Garradd and
comet Honda and
comet Levy all making a passage.
The we have this large (planet?) Tyche out in the lurches and
YET........people still ridicule planet X/Nibiru?

Really? Why? Because NASA fails to mention it?
Would you PLEASE look at all this distraction! There's something going on or headed our way I'm afraid.

I guess you all need NASA/government to validate everything in order to make them real huh?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

How very clever. But it makes no sense.

UARS did what it was supposed to do and then some. It was designed to work for three years, it was decommissioned after 14.

Oh really? How come I can't leave my disabled car on the shoulder of I-95 without getting a ticket but yet, NASA can put 7 tons of hardware in space (for the betterment of mankind I'm sure) for a life span of 20 years and HOPE and PRAY it doesn't take out a small village? Where's the due diligence and any humane culpability?

I'm sure if this hits an African village and 2 dozen people die, it'll make front page for one day and be replaced by Kate Gosslin's new look!

You know, if these people (government agencies) are supposed to be our role models, it's no wonder 3/4 of the worlds' population isn't behind bars due to mimicking illegal acts.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

And what if it hits Tucson? That could happen too.

The Earth is a big place. Yes, there is a chance that debris from a satellite may hit a populated area but there is just as great a chance that a large meteor will. How often do we hear about African villages (or any place else) being hit by meteors?

As re-entry gets closer more accurate estimates of the location will be made. If a danger is posed to human life something can be done about it.

I don't know of anyone who considers government agencies as role models. Some people within in them might be considered so, but the agencies? That doesn't really make any sense.
edit on 9/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for the orbit info, I misunderstood. So it may fall on my head then? I think I have a hardhat in the garage.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
Recall that when SpaceLab did this same uncontrolled re-entry, most of it wound up in the Pacific, but a fair-sized chunk hit the ground in Australia.

I suspect they are thinking of Skylab, and the Indian ocean.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by JohnySeagull

does it have any Nuclear fuel and what would happen when it hits the ground at between 675 and 1,000 miles per hour....

they have stated not to go near any debris. they have not warned that it would be contaminated or that there would be any dangerous substances leaking. it does seem like it will just be a hot lump of metal.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Really? Why? Because NASA fails to mention it?
Would you PLEASE look at all this distraction! There's something going on or headed our way I'm afraid.

I guess you all need NASA/government to validate everything in order to make them real huh?

'
The planet is just expieriencing some 'high anxiety' at the moment. Everyone is wondering is something headed our way. Maybe some are waiting on planet x , some are waiting on aliens or some even waiting for JHC to reappear. What people aren't picking up on is that this 'thing' we are all wondering if it will hit , is here already. Impact is already under way. Chances are it will be gone too before most people realize.

If there is something you told yourself you would do if you thought the world was about to end, maybe you should be doing it anyway(any nutjobs please disregard that last sentence). Maybe this is part of what this is all for. To give people that extra nudge.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Nice slideshow for you to read on UARS situation ;-

www.nasa.gov...

No NASA or USG human casualty reentry risk limits existed when UARS
was designed, built, and launched.
• NASA, the USG, and some foreign space agencies now seek to limit human
casualty risks from reentering space objects to less than 1 in 10,000.
• UARS is a moderate-sized space object. Uncontrolled reentries of objects
more massive than UARS are not frequent, but neither are they unusual.
– Combined Dragon mockup and Falcon 9 second stage reentry in June 2010 was more
massive.
• Since the beginning of the space age, there has been no confirmed report
of an injury resulting from reentering space objects.
• NASA, DoD, and the IADC will be monitoring the decay and reentry of UARS
carefully

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

Sorry neobludragon, life's too short!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join