It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complete Survival Kit Checklist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979
As for fire starting tinder, we use dryer lint. I know it sounds silly, but it works great and it is free! That is if you have a dryer..

That works well. I use cotton balls coated with petroleum jelly.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i watched a video the other day

this guy took a coffee can put some tp paper in it filled it with rubbing alchol

worked great for a light source and a stove now a coffee can may be too big

but same principle will work for any can soup kind or any other works on the same principle as alcohol stoves.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I printed this off in booklet style and it fits nicely in my pack, not sure if it has been suggested before but it pretty much covers everything.

Army Survival Field Manual

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

As for fire starting tinder, we use dryer lint. I know it sounds silly, but it works great and it is free! That is if you have a dryer..

petroleum jelly? I may give that a try
May even try it with the dryer lint..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

I have a gollan Ziplock bag full of dryer lint that I compressed down for space saving in my BoB. It is the best tinder in the world, dryer lint and a magnifying glass and you have fire almost anywhere.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

Are you sure you can use Elephant Ear plant leaves as toilet paper?
I know you cant eat the leaves without boiling them several times while changing the water, and you get a skin reaction from the sap of the stem and leaves.
I've had the skin reaction and the itchy throat from not enough boiling, the last thing id want is for the leave to break open while wiping my but and have but rash for a couple days....
btw this is a universal reaction for all people and elephant ear not just my own.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

petroleum jelly? I may give that a try
May even try it with the dryer lint..

Try melting some paraffin wax and soaking small cut sections of jute twine in it. Pull the jute out, dry it on some wax paper then tuck it away in your fire kit. When ready to use, pull a piece or two and seperate the fibers making a birds nest of sorts. Give it a spark and watch it go. Its a little messy to make but easier to store and use than the vaseline soaked balls.

It all works, I've even bought the Weber grill charcoal starter tablets from Home Depot and those work great as well. I suppose they are just hexamine tabs like many of those sold as tinder. Pack some small pieces of fat wood as well. Split them and tuck them away. They hold a flame for quite a while and help get a fire going in wet conditions.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
reply to post by oldshooter1979

I have a gollan Ziplock bag full of dryer lint that I compressed down for space saving in my BoB. It is the best tinder in the world, dryer lint and a magnifying glass and you have fire almost anywhere.

I absolutely love that idea...Best of all...It's free and readily available !
Thank you!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yeah but if you don't have a dryer, just pop in at your local coin wash and talk to the attendant....You night get a positive reaction when you ask for them to keep the lint for you !

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I would hasten to add a couple of condoms, for emergency water containers and some tapons for tinder.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks for the reminder... been meaning to check my bug out panniers for a while
your threads are always good reminders and full of things I miss

reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I can see someone has a Blue Peter badge

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Been caught out before. Still, I would have loved to meet Valerie Singleton.

edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Been caught out before. Still, I would have loved to meet Valerie Singleton.

edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

Like the ideas tho.. ingenious in the typical services fashion of getting by on string and sticky tape ala Blue Peter

And speaking of Valerie.. I wonder what young lad hasn't

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the checklist DaddyBare,

I used to make lists for my more serious camping trips, but these were specialized for the area, time of year, and the purpose of the trip. Your checklist is for traveling as lightly as possible or for an emergency survival situation. If you don't mind I'll use your list as a starting point for a couple of new checklists I'll be making.

M.S.B.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart

any pointers sir on boots
all your advice i listen to
cheers
dave

You know I have spent a ton of money on boots... some good some bad... some last many dont...
right at this moment I'm waiting for payday so I can order a new pair of Elk Trackers from Redwing

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
people google those thing called pilltowels.

the are small and light weight and have multiple uses and when you run out of leaves you can use them as tp

just make sure when your looking for "plant leaves" make sure they are not poision ivy,oak and sumac.

and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Originally posted by davesmart

any pointers sir on boots
all your advice i listen to
cheers
dave

You know I have spent a ton of money on boots... some good some bad... some last many dont...
right at this moment I'm waiting for payday so I can order a new pair of Elk Trackers from Redwing

I used to wear Hi-Tec Magnum boots but they are getting harder to find, now I wear Blackhawk's. They are extremely light and durable and have stood up very well for me in Florida's wet swampy environment.You can find them online starting at about $100.00
edit on 8-9-2011 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I've owned Hi-Tec's good shoe... but I have wide feet and never really got the right fit....
I guess redwing sells boots to a lot of old fat men like me cause theirs always fit...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You know what you really need to do DB? Expound on what is in a good first aid kit. Many of these kits you buy at wally world are next to useless. People listen to you on this topic, so for their sake I would ask you to do it. Thx.

Got ya covered buddy
www.abovetopsecret.com...
But I may have over "Expounded"

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
All I need is a lantern, laudanum, and lots of tinderboxes

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join