It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Welfare is a temporary solution to the 'I need money' problem, but not in the way a lot of you seem to think.

Why does welfare even exist?

To temporarily help out people that aren't making the dough necessary to eat, have a home, and enjoy living. But why do these people need assistance whilst living within a system that works properly to meet the needs of everyone in it's care. Oh yea...because we aren't part of such a system.

America's way of sporting this capitalist system is self defeating on almost every level.

We have predatory exploitation of our middle and lower class workforce.

Handouts to corporations that don't use said handouts to fuel our economy the way they should (or rather, the way we wish they would. They won't. Let's face it, The American way taught us early to be 'out for self', and those cats live by that credo).

Handouts via welfare, that in many cases makes it more viable to remain on welfare than to go and cop that 9 to 5 ( yea I know a lot of people are lazy and don't want to work, but that's just an unavoidable and inherent symptom of a program such as this. It will never go away. Ever.)

... And then, of course, we have massive unemployment, due to a myriad of reasons, most reviled of which is the evil outsourcing of American jobs to foreign interests (Yay!).

In this country, welfare is a necessity (as Donkey pointed out). But it's temporaryness is not within it's proposed use, but in the fact that the very reason that it exists is the very thing that will cause it to cease... along with our economy.

The temporary part comes from the fact that, our economic system, the very way we conduct business both domestically and abroad, is effed. It's been effed.

For decades.

America's been bleeding. For decades.

And every new law or policy from then to now has caused a widening of the wound (Either by accident or design

Doesn't matter if you put more limits or less on welfare ... it's only ever been a bandaid that doesn't quite cover a gaping gash...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Actually the immigrants are taking all of the jobs that Americans want and are capable of doing in the information technology sector and they are starting to take other jobs in law and business as well.

If they don't outsource to India/China, then they actually fly them to America on H1-B visas. The H1-B visas is a way for them to fly white collar jobs into America and pay the immigrants extremely lower salaries than would be required for an American. The visas are only supposed be for specialized fields, but the corporations are hiring immigrant students directly out of undegraduate school and giving them jobs. In 2008 alone, nearly 300k white collar jobs went to H1-B visas and I am sure there are other types of visas as well.

Both blue collar jobs and now the white collar jobs are disappearing fast. If you look at most corporations, they are requiring Bachelor Degrees for Secretaries! (Administrative Assistants).

I am working for a company that has outsourced nearly all of their IT jobs to India AND even a majority of their business departments, such as procurement, accounting, and finance. Consultants have tons of jobs right now because all of the corporations are paying these people big bucks to help them strategize on how to increase profits by outsourcing and get rid of more American jobs.

Recently, a hospital in my area outsourced jobs done by a group of 6 Americans to a company in Tennessee and laid of their employees. Soon after the hospital signed the contract, the company claimed to be bankrupt and an Indian company took over. The Indians can not get the work done and contacted the former American employees to do the work at 1/6 of what they were making before. Their previous salaries were between 30k-40k a year, which is just making ends meet in this part of the country.

I don't think people are realizing how bad the situtation has become.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Years ago me and my family had some welfare “cash assistance” and in ohio its only 36( I thought it was only 26 months) months and there are work requirements attached to it, then you are cut off….now memory is not serving up if you could re-apply in 4yrs or so..I just cant recall, however I know it was at least the same amout of time you had assistance before you could reapply.

The article states 5yrs for ohio…well I sure in the heck don’t recall that unless it has been changed since the last time me and my family got it.

This is a good law for Michigan , however this is just for “cash assistance” the other programs such as food stamps , housing, and health are not limited to 48 months.

I hope the best for those really in need , get things together and move on from a helping hand and become a hand for those that need help.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Welfare?????????? Welfare in Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1????????? Trust me outside of Detroit , Michigan has NO discernible welfare other than foodcards and never has . I have lived here all my life , and im fifty years old . The only welfare in Michigan ends at the Detroit inner city boundaries , and always has. This is NOT racial at all , it is just the truth as i can see it and it is true . Michaganders are still in the mindset of being hard working nose to the grind stone people and loggers at heart (think umm.... paul bunon crossed with a chevy truck) and thats cemented in our blood. For now anyways.
PS just to ineterate , anyone outside of Detroit that attempted to apply for `welfare` would be greeted by blank stares and be told `what ?` there is nothing like that here . Honestly.
edit on 8-9-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Outsourcing and unions killed Michigan, period. My Dad owns a small manufacturing company in northern lower Michigan. Several years ago his revenue was 80 automotive and 10 government contracts. Today, there is no automotive; zero. He says everything is getting sent to China.

Explain again why open trade is a good thing? Look at it from this perspective; how many jobs would never have happened if Henry Ford could have outsourced to China? Early GM, Chrysler as well? How many manufacturing jobs and related services would have never existed if automotive had been outsourced from day one? Let's put it this way, we wouldn't have never become the nation we once were; prosperous, industrious, growth oriented.

It is no different today; we are seeing what would have been if we had outsourcing from the beginning; suffering, poverty, a stagnant economy, high unemployment. Who benefits? Those at the top. We open the borders to free trade and have an influx of foreign cars, that kills the American brands, yet they charge high tariffs on US imports. The deck is stacked against us yet we continue to play the game. Trying to compete with China is like Suzy's lemonade stand trying to compete with Wyler's. It can't be done. Yet our so called "leaders" choose to let it keep happening. Most senators and congressmen are wealthy. Many are millionaires. They will continue to get their salaries long after they retire, so quite frankly, they couldn't care less.

Those of you who say we are selfish and greedy as a country, no, we're not. If we were, we wouldn't be slowly fading into a shadow of what we once were. If we looked out for ourselves, we would have jobs and be growing. We would be producing our own technology and we'd have a semiconductor plant in every city with a population over 20,000. Meanwhile, our president is trying to create jobs digging GD ditches! His entire staff are welfare cases who have had government jobs from day one. None of them have ever run a business and they are all tax crooks and cheats and continue to get a free pass in every misstep they take.

You look at the welfare recipients in Michigan and what you see are people who continued to vote Democrat leaders in. Jennifer Granholm was a friggin' disaster. She drove the nail into the coffin of manufacturing in Michigan. She did it in her first term and the welfare cases voted her back in; why? Because they were voting for the the hand-outs, plain and simple. I think the automotive workers actually believed that she could wave her magic wand and create more cushy union jobs.

I don't feel sorry for the able-bodied welfare recipients. When most of our ancestors came her from abroad, they barely had a few dollars between them. It was the opportunity that they were seeking, not handouts. They were happy to be working in the field, working in a factory, working construction, anything. Most of the people in Michigan who lost jobs due to the collapse of the automotive industry are too "good" to work for less than $20 an hour. They're used to snapping on a plastic piece for $70 an hour after benefits. Hows that union thing workin' out for ya? Funny thing is, the Honda and Toyota plants in the US are doing fine, I wonder why that is.

Nope, Michigan is in such deep crap, the welfare reform will barely dent the deficit, and with the exception of the elderly and disabled, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

College costs money.

Financial aid, what a #ing joke.

Always far easier said than can be done.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MaryStillToe

It's not that "I" haven't realized how bad the situation has become. It's because "you" have realized how bad the situation has become. If your pushing papers into a scanner or entering invoices manually. If your doing any kind of manual office work, be prepared to be unemployed.

The way of the future is to make us humans do less. With technology. There is enough to go around trust me. For some reason the people with all the money just want more money. The joke is on them tho, there are more of "us" than "them". I'm not talking crazy stuff like revolutions and the sorts, im talking about their pocket books.

Money is evil, you and only you can figure that out for yourself.

I'll go a bit further, what you give will come back two times the amount. Try it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Welfare?????????? Welfare in Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1????????? Trust me outside of Detroit , Michigan has NO discernible welfare other than foodcards and never has . I have lived here all my life , and im fifty years old . The only welfare in Michigan ends at the Detroit inner city boundaries , and always has. This is NOT racial at all , it is just the truth as i can see it and it is true . Michaganders are still in the mindset of being hard working nose to the grind stone people and loggers at heart (think umm.... paul bunon crossed with a chevy truck) and thats cemented in our blood. For now anyways.
edit on 8-9-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)
I know plenty of people on welfare and they're not black or living in Detroit. I have a buddy living in Roseville that can't even turn his utilities on. He's more worried about if hes gonna have heat this winter. I have cousins that have been out of school for 2 years and can't find work that are on welfare. Both gradutated with 3.5 gpa's. Yeah their proud to be on welfare yeah right.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I know plenty of people on welfare that are willing to buy your groceries. If they buy 100 dollars you pay half which would be 50 dollars. So they can buy things the welfare credit card cant. Should I turn them in? Probably, I don't because I believe in karma.

Some people need it, most don't. God forbid remember history here. In the last great depression there were several generations living in one house. They survived.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

That does indeed suck my friend . I know that utilities here have pretty much doubled or worse in the last 3 years. But perhaps we are speaking of two different things there is (supposedly some utility assistance but thats mostly utility PR) it does not really exist in any meaningful capacity.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

I know plenty of people on welfare that are willing to buy your groceries. If they buy 100 dollars you pay half which would be 50 dollars. So they can buy things the welfare credit card cant. Should I turn them in? Probably, I don't because I believe in karma.

Some people need it, most don't. God forbid remember history here. In the last great depression there were several generations living in one house. They survived.
I know plenty of people on welfare to that don't abuse the system. Matter of fact out of all the people I know not one abuses it. I have neighbors friends and family on it. Just like welfare reciepents testing positive for drugs what 1%.

Detroit has a unemployment rate of 25%. Half of the city is illiterate. There are a lot of desperate people in that city and they want to cut off public assistance. There are hardly any jobs in Detroit to begin with. Most of them come to the burbs to shop.

I'm not black but I know what it's like to be poor. It's not easy surviving on $200 a week. I once made a decent living at $16 an hour. I now bring home $200 a week. I'm luckey to get that.

My buddy is suporting 3 people on $150 a week. He works part time at Walmart because thats all he can get. He can't afford to have his gas turned on. He's been taking ice cold showers every day before work for the last 6 months. He gets welfare and he sure isn't lazy.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Cheers, Gov!

Have fun drinking your vintage champagne and eating quails' eggs while people starve.

Have a nice time in hell!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
i frequent a small convenience store in the neighborhood and see lots of the welfare suckers in there and most of if not all of them are super fat and out of shape lets just suck it up is there attitude while they buy their blunts and mooch for those really messed up these people give you a bad name pieces of fat crap dog me now i work for my money

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I tire of these "detroit" horror stories. Last I checked they still have an NFL football team. Japan made better cars, get over it.

The poor us montage is getting old. Kinda like welfare.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Wow..
Mental note, stay the # away from michigan.

I don't get why they would do this?
The system disenfranchises people, the least you can do is keep the people who gave you rich bastards all your money alive,

I get so mad, when i see asses like F1 billionares buying billion dollar houses like this
www.autoblog.com...
Where the money comes from the people, the same people who struggle to make ends meet, and the same people who are homeless.
The people the ones who made these people rich in the first place get the cold shoulder.
Sad to say, but if people dont fight this, that neo cortex you have is a waste.
Think for once

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Before you damn people, I would like you to consider this:

Some people have a mental condition that stops them from getting jobs.

And in some places, jobs are scarce.

Let us walk a mile in our brother's shoes.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Ask your brother to walk in your shoes.

Pick up three objects, learn to juggle.
Grab a guitar from a rummage sale (they often sell cheap), mess around and learn to play.

Do something.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Yeah,

You are litter.

Get a heart and a soul.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

I tire of these "detroit" horror stories. Last I checked they still have an NFL football team. Japan made better cars, get over it.

The poor us montage is getting old. Kinda like welfare.
Yeah I'm tired self richeous hicks that think they know it all. Football players are ignorant real men watch hockey. Hockey players have a lot more class then those dumb meatheads. Go ahead and drive your rice burner. My dad is about to retire out of Ford Mo Co with a net worth of about $2 mil. My mom is a registerd nurse. If only we were as smart as you we'd be Republican right?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I lean libertarian and am fiscally conservative / socially liberal.

This issue is one that needs to addressed and seen for truth within. It is not simple. There are fiscal and social principles involved.

Why is unemployment and the need for so many people on welfare there in the first place? The reason is because much of the United States' working class jobs have been sent over seas due to cheaper costs in other countries. This is primarily due to the fact that we over regulate, over tax corporations and fight for extremely "fair" (high) wages. Strong government regulation on pollution controls and union control over worker wages has made working class positions, that are very simple jobs, very costly to businesses in the United States. These same positions can be done by most people of any country without educations over seas. In other words jobs that are simple manual labor in the United States are costing companies top dollar. The government cannot create jobs. The only thing the government can do is sustain or create conditions that encourage companies to want to do business here in the United States.

Above you have the reason for the problem. The interesting thing is that the progressives are the ones who desire more pollution regulations, higher wages through union control, and higher corporate taxes. Yet, at the same time they are trying to help those they put out of work by offering them welfare on the taxpayers dime. I mean just think about that burden it puts on our country. Not only is tax revenue decreased as companies relocate, but the tax burden is increased again by the burden of more people needing assistance within the system.
People listen to our wonderful media conglomerates and never stop to think about these things logically.

The only answer to our problem is to make conditions more favorable for the working class to get jobs in the United States. None of that can be done with a progressive agenda. What must occur? Lower regulations, ensure labor unions have less power so people will at least still have manual labor jobs even if the pay isn't $77,000 a year like the average GM assembly line worker.

This issue pains me because I love people and can see their struggles. I can see the injustices done to them by the government. I can see how it is destroying families as people cannot provide for themselves or others and must rely on government assistance. I can see the depression as people feel worthless without work. I can see the natural progression as they turn to other more desperate methods like drugs and alcohol to cope.

I am torn between agreeing and disagreeing with decision because I think the problem must be addressed before you cut the people off from assistance. Yet, it is the same people who won't allow the problem to be fixed who are pushing for unlimited welfare. It is a catch 22 at this point.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join