It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Another idea is to encourage those on welfare to go back to school. A poor person can get loans and even pell grants in which they can live on. I got $10,000 per year in excess funds in my bachelor's program and about $13,000 in my masters. It did help with some living expenses and if done right a person can live on $10,000 per year. Yet at the same time there needs to be plan to get them a job. That is our main problem right now is not enough jobs I guess all the education in the world can't really fix that.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Interesting... Welfare was never intended to be a permanent setup. It is suppose to be there for when people need it while they are looking for more work. Because of tax revenues this is a losing program since there are no tax placed to offset its expenditures.

Welfare, when used as anything other than its intended use, is wealth redistribution hiding in plain sight.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by sarra1833

I don't care if I rack up $100,000 in loans if I would have bought a house I would have had more debt than that anyways. I figure due to the fraud alert on my credit I may never own a home so I might as well keep going back to school to help me make it. I do use the excess loan money to live on. I have applied to many online colleges to teach online courses and I am hoping that I will be hired if not before the six months are over I will be going back to college.

Wow!

There is a huge difference.

School loans are what is called secured loans, meaning you cannot get out of them period, so they basically follow you to the grave.

Where on the other hand, a home loan, with a good lawyer, people can usually walk away from their debt.

School loans have become one of the biggest scams, in the USA today, and I feel for the young students saddling themselves with this burden early in their lives.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Yes they are, is a big scam, I posted in another thread when It was a time that higher education was inexpensive and subsidized by the government.

I went to college when Tuition was only 5 dollars a credit and I had full scholarship. You earned your education and without any debt to tag along.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yes they are, is a big scam, I posted in another thread when It was a time that higher education was inexpensive and subsidized by the government.

I went to college when Tuition was only 5 dollars a credit and I had full scholarship. You earned your education and without any debt to tag along.

Marg,

I think with the advent of easily obtainable loans, many higher educational institutions have taken advantage of this easy found money, but this will be the next big bubble to break.

And it will be interesting to see what, or how all of these over-built educational systems will remain solvent, with no students.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Welfare, when used as anything other than its intended use, is wealth redistribution hiding in plain sight.

Do you consider subsudies paid to oil companies, farmers, www.downsizinggovernment.org...
www.window.state.tx.us...

In effect welfare for the rich and redistribution of wealth to those already wealthy.

Much more fun to scapegoat the poor isn't it?
edit on 7-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I hope so, because soon after I finished college both my brother and sister fell in the 80s for the student loans scam when private colleges started to sprout all over.

Is been 30 years of scam going on already.

edit on 7-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I know what you mean because while i believe in education it should have been free but thats not how our society works. I love learning myself so why not? I know I may have a mess later on my hands but with my disablity, ebt and part time job is not enough to live on.
Once you get out of college they do have low payment plans I have heard but when I saw that even that would not be enough for me to afford it I knew I had to go back again or get a better job. College is great yet the loans incurred are not so great. Too bad the thing called the american dream is dying if not half dead already. The best I can hope for now is to keep renting an apartment and stay there as long as rent does not go up. I hope for a job that at least makes $1,000 to offset my disablity. That is the best I can hope for in this economy. Funny in high school I was told I could have it all; a house a great career but maybe that dream will come back again?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If they keep pulling the tail of the tiger, eventually it's going to bite back. I've always said, once you affect enough peoples pocket books, the people will organize and fight back. Michigan is really hurting economically and this may just cause the pot to boil over.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

There is hope, but people have to start to believe in themselves again, instead of putting all of their faith in a few representatives, or authority figures.

This doesn't mean run out and start a revolution, but find the strength within ourselves. I understand it's difficult in the times we are in, but sometimes looking within helps.

I made a list years ago and it really helped me out in my life and careers.

My list consisted of what I liked to do and what I hated to do, not just in work, but in life.

If we hate doing something how long, and how productive can we ever be doing something that we despise? And at the end of ones life will we have a sense of fulfillment and little regret?

I want little regret at the end of my life, because who knows when that will come.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by rogerstigers

The bill makes allowences for illnesses, part of your "bad stretch".
Investors can and do pay for start-ups. They are called "Angels" and invest (help) in new businesses.

Really? please, tell me where to find these "angels", because I have a ton of ideas to make money.

Oh, and the "angel" wouldnt want to own 90% would they? I mean, if they take all the wealth you create, what is the poiint?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If class warfare is what they want they'll get it. Half of Detroit is illiterate and can't read but they own guns. I hear them shooting almost everynight. Now if only we could get them to fight for a cause instead of each other.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
If class warfare is what they want they'll get it. Half of Detroit is illiterate and can't read but they own guns. I hear them shooting almost everynight. Now if only we could get them to fight for a cause instead of each other.

Where do you get your information from?

Half of Detroit is not illiterate, many may be poor but they still get educated.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Where do you get your information from?

Half of Detroit is not illiterate, many may be poor but they still get educated.
I live on the border of Detroit.

detroit.cbslocal.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

BRILLIANT!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
When I was a child my mother and father divorced. My mother had to use welfare to survive at first because my father was the bread winner in the family. I don't remember this but when we were checking out in a grocery store line I said to my mom, "mom you can't pay for groceries with monopoly money!" Some of the people in the line chuckled and my mother was very embaressed by this event. I don't remember us ever being on any kind of assistance, therefore she used it when she needed it and got off it as soon as possible.

Reason for the story, you should be embaressed using welfare. You absolutely should be ashamed of yourself for not being a productive member of society.

A couple years ago I dated a girl and learned how the new "cards" work. You swipe it like any other credit/debit card but you choose a different option on the screen. Nobody knows your using a welfare card. We should give these people a welfare ID card that the cashier needs to see. I'll bet some people would be a little more hesitant in the future if they knew the cashier would say "may I see your welfare ID card?"

I didn't date that girl for very long, just like many that use welfare she felt she deserved the world without working towards anything.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Is it retroactive?

Crosses fingers.....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Torok
Is it retroactive?

Crosses fingers.....
Yup lets kick the poor right? You should be mroe focused on the greedy corperations steeling your money then the poor.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Torok
Is it retroactive?

Crosses fingers.....
Yup lets kick the poor right? You should be mroe focused on the greedy corperations steeling your money then the poor.

If you don't buy anything, how are corporations stealing your money? You understand they can only steal what you give them right?

The only argument you have is the federal and state taxes. Which you have no control over since they get taken out of your income before the income reaches you. Unless you lie about income.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by korath
I'll bet a lot of them just wait out the four years and then pack up and reapply in another state. Welfare benefits should have a nationwide limit.

Or perhaps get a gun and hone those predatory skills. It's gonna get ugly!

I love the rationale of "if you cut them off of welfare, they are just going to go violent and rob and pillage". It's been mentioned at least a handful of times on this thread alone. Nice belief in the capabilities of people on welfare, that you think they will just become violent criminals. You make it sound like your paying ransom or tribute so as "not to get the poor all riled up". Talk about class warfare, jeez.

Most will figure out a way of making the money up, whether it be a above the board job, being paid under the table, starting a small venture ect. Some might even get two jobs to make ends meet. Yeah, yeah I know jobs are hard to find, but they are out there if you look hard. I have a friend who fills out interviews online for jobs, wonders why no one calls her. If you show up in person, your chances increase by quite a factor, I've told her. It doesn't help that she shows up to fill out applications in person looking like a total slob. I've never hired someone who puts forth that little effort. I actually heard her once say on an interview "I left that job because it was too much work", I kid you not. And she's shocked that she isn't being hired.

The VAST majority of those cut off of welfare under this plan will not turn to a life of crime. Have a little more faith in your fellow man.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join