It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
reply to post by SeleneLux

The real problem is not the poor and helpless it is the rich and powerful.

What qualifies someone as poor and helpless?

Do me a favor. On the 1st or the 15th of the month, wake up one morning at like 6:30am. Go to your local Social Security office or wherever they hand out the checks to people who dont get them in the mail.

I will bet you there is a line that stretches the front of the building for people waiting to receive their check from the taxpayer.

Considering it is all done by either direct deposit or debit card now, I will take your bet. No one gets a check anymore.

Now in that same morning, drive around to all the local businesses. Best Buy, Wal Mart, any department store or mall or any grocery store. How many people will you see lined up to get a job application? Zero. And that is not because they are not hiring. That is because there is a percentage of welfare recipients who would rather receive a check for free than work for it.

Wal-mart has only electronic job applications and it's been that way for at least several years now. So does Kroger, Kmart, and most other places of similar status. So no, you will not see welfare recipients lined up at these places to get a job application anymore than you will see non-welfare recipients lined up to get a job application.

So stop with this "holier than thou" attitude about how the rich are evil. There are countless of rich people who employ countless others and provide them with a job. Do you know how many people welfare recipients employ and provide a job to? The people who work for social security and the politicians who make it easy for them to get a check for free.

People on welfare also help to keep demand up at places like Wal-mart which in turn help the rich to continue to employ people to work for pennies on the dollar for what their hard labor generates for the same mentioned rich people.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I have read multiple comments from people who have massive student loan debt. I owe over $130k in student loans.

If you are low income, you qualify for the income based repayment plan. www.ibrinfo.org...

I am on this plan. Based upon my income, I have zero payment due each month. After ten years I think it is, the amount is wiped out.

This might help a lot of you who are dealing with this. I keep seeing people post about how much student loan debt they're in, but I hadn't seen anyone mentioning it. If you get on this, it may help you out big time.

Right now, your chances of landing any kind of job just isn't good at all. Places literally have thousands of job applicants per opening. And those who have any kind of disability or are over a certain age are even more unlikely to find anything.

There have been news articles covering the issue where many employers are being so bold as to come out and say that they would not hire someone who is currently unemployed. So, the longer you are unemployed, the less likely you are to find something.

I lost my last job December 24, 2009. I hadn't been called in for a job interview since March 2010. I'm now on disability. I applied everywhere. The only jobs around here are minimum wage jobs or jobs making just a little above minimum wage. So, I never had an issue with pride regarding wages. The last job I worked at was Wal-mart making $7.50/hour.

I am a thesis away from my master's degree, but the degree is totally worthless now. I'm just finishing to prove I could do it at this point. I kept going back to college for the student loans because I couldn't find a job to pay bills. I've been trapped in that cycle for years now. I'm sure many have. Student loans are a huge scam to get the naive and uneducated deep into debt. Most from public schools do not find out about it until they've already been suckered. I've been educating my daughter over the years on what a trap it is hoping that she doesn't learn the hard way as I had to do. The school system helps the loan scammers sell their loans. They never tell the kids the truth about them while they're growing up.

If you know anyone nearing college age, do what you can to teach them about the pitfalls of student loans. You may save someone a lifetime of hardship.

There are not enough jobs for those on welfare to have one. Many on welfare have some sort of disability that is bad enough to prevent them from being kept on a job by an employer but isn't bad enough to be on disability payments. You can fill out job applications all you want, but that doesn't mean the employer has to hire and keep you.

There are not enough jobs for everyone who isn't on welfare to have one. And that isn't going to change. The ones in power don't want that to change.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy
And the Federal minimum wage in all states in 7.50. And there are a lot of poor people who are poor because they like to be poor.

The federal minimum wage is $7.25. It is not $7.50.

www.dol.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This bill is long over due and should be inacted in every state. Far too much free "Assistance" being handed out to too many non motivated , don't want a job anyway, suck off the system, types.

Drug testing should be manditory for all persons recieving Federal assistance. You flunk, you are cut off.

P:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by StayAlert1
This bill is long over due and should be inacted in every state. Far too much free "Assistance" being handed out to too many non motivated , don't want a job anyway, suck off the system, types.

Drug testing should be manditory for all persons recieving Federal assistance. You flunk, you are cut off.

P:

I really don't understand this. If someone is testing positive for an illegal substance then it is evidence that the person broke the law. As a lawbreaker, why isn't the person brought up on charges instead of just getting cut off assistance?

I have taken and passed five drug screens since I have never used. Yet, I would never be exempt from a drug test. That shows me that I have already been deemed guilty of a crime and that the authorities will keep after me until they get proof. Therefore, it is obvious that the poor have already been judged guilty without a chance to actually be proven innocent. Instead, the ones who passed will keep being harassed.

True drug abusers made the choice to use. They should be charged with a crime. Those who have shown repeatedly that they were not using should stop being harassed for something they didn't do.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

these are the things I think that I need to live...
a roof over my head...

Yes, to live you need shelter.

a car, transportation.....sorry, no walking here!! used to walk, but them messed up my feet, then they got messed up more through lack of healthcare.....car, is needed, period!!

No. A car is not needed. A car is a luxury that you must be able to afford. That is why they make public transportation. If you live in a metropolitan area, a bus stop is a short walking distance from your house. If you are disabled, the public transportation system can make accomodations.

untilities, electricity, heat, water, ect...

Ok sure, to an extent. Having the air conditioning blasting all summer is a luxury. If you do not make much money your should try to limit your use of utilities as much as you can. Most utility companies also have programs where people can qualify for discounted rates. All it takes is a little research.

food, a meal a day, at least......

I would go as far as to say you need atleast three quality meals a day. But that does not include steak dinners. On a limited income, many people afford three healthy meals a day.

healthcare!!

This is a grey area. There are millions that survive without health insurance. But you said healthcare not health insurance. But yes, a person does need a basic amount of healthcare to be able to survive serious injury or illness which can be provided by the hospital. Hospitals also have programs for those who do not have a lot of money or no health insurance.

cigs, but that is irrelevant really, since I don't earn enough for the stuff I listed...

Thank you for making my point. You do not NEED cigarettes. It is rediculous that you would even list that. Especially since they have become increasingly expensive.

I make more than minimum wage, less than 10 dollars an hour, and this is based on a 40 hour workweek, although our slow period this year was about half a year, and well, we don't get 40 hours a week....
to me, affordable rent would be somewhere between a quarter to a third of my income....well....
sorry, can't find anything in that price range, not even a tiny efficiency in the crappiest part of town....
doubt if I could meet the rest of my needs if I could find it anyways....
luckily, I have a husband!!

If you do not have a lot of money then any appraisal of the part of town you can live in is irrelevant. You find someone, or multiple people, who you can share the rent with and then you find what you can realistically afford.

With all of this you have simply made my point. You can afford to live. You just cannot afford the life you believe you are ENTITLED to.

So you work at this job for a while. You work hard and get promoted so you make more money. Then you start to upgrade your living conditions accordingly or find another job that pays more. It is very simple.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
In order to put a limit on welfare; jobs need to be brought back. The outsourced jobs need to come back and stricter laws on illegal aliens. You can't just rip things away from people without a security net. They need to have more programs to help people get off benefits. I get different benefits myself(I am on disablity); but my case worker is a hands off type who never helps me really. I have asked if there is some sort of program to get me acculmated to a job that would work with my disablities. I never get an answer. I went into voc rehab and because I am not a criminal or drug addict they don't want to help me. There are not enough programs at least in my state to implement a rule like this!

Most jobs are not coming back, and thats why Obama made this loud and clear, encouraging more people to advance their education.

Technology is taking the jobs, and rightfully so; so what does that means for humans?

Keep up or get out. Sounds harsh but it is the reality, as we advance as a species.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join