It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Fish Die Off, here we go again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Oh boy.

China: Mysterious Fish Kills Strike Fujian

Fish farms along the Minjiang River in the Shuikou Township section of East China's Fujian province have been hit by a wave of fish kills in recent days, but the cause has yet to be determined, local authorities said on Sunday.

Some 9,000 tanks of fish, including about 8,000 in Shuikou town and some 1,000 in Huangtian town, were reported dead as of Saturday, according to a release from the government of Gutian county, which administers the two townships.

One tank usually holds 3,500 to 5,000 fish.

Zeng said that local fishery and environmental protection departments are investigating the case and examining the water, but the reasons for the fish die-offs are unknown.

That's a hell lot of fishes... 9000 tanks of fishes X 3500-5000 fishes = 3.15-4.5 million dead fishes... for no reason...

What is up... water contamination? Earthquake coming? What?
edit on 6-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That is a massive fish kill.
It sure feels like someone's aim is to foster a starvation economy in the world.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

wow this is very worrying, we all know animals know a lot more about the earth then we do
so its possible it could be a warning to possible natural disasters or something of the like..

air contamination, pollution?

radiation?

air born disease?

change in water density?

change in magnetism?

bp oil spill?

i dunno there’s so many possibilities, but would really want an expert opinion on this stuff

its worrying when we cant even keep fish alive in tanks let alone the ocean

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

lucky i dont eat fish..
2nd line

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Not sure, but isn't that the next closest land to Fukushima????

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Experts aren't allowed to give their opinion, lest they be silenced.

link   
reply to post by quedup

Not realy.. Fujian is abit further down from japan.. but on the coast..

link   
reply to post by quedup

No this is much further south than Japan, Korea and parts of Russia are nearer to Fukushima. This part of China is across the straits from Taiwan

edit to add thanks tripldoublesingle

edit on 9/6/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

well they can give their opinion if they are paid to and its not their opinion

but seriously someones gotta have some insight

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Maybe it would have been great to include the really strange part of this event?

Source

We also found that the fish turned white after they died. That is abnormal, and that phenomenon doesn't occur with deaths from oxygen insufficiency," he said. "The water is black and has something like oil on the surface."

One mechanism for fish turning white at death is under higher temperatures...we can only postulate what the black substance is.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That is an alarming amount of fish die/kill located on a farm as well??? 1 can only think of the near by radiation toxins going into the ocean near potentially or the radiation going up and raining back down. Its sad what has become of Earth due to Business energy business.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I've recently read an account of a die-off which was witnessed and documented with photos and video, albeit on a much smaller and local scale I found this story on a forum dedicated to fishing in Texas.

Lake turned over right in front of my eyes. 1000s of dying fish.

Now, this is were my day took a turn. I was at the far East corner working a small drop off and hump. Within about 15 mins the water in a 100 yard stretch started to turn Pee Green Milky looking. Then a small of sulferish... yucky. 10 mins later, I see a shad swimming on the surface dying. Another ten mins later 20 shad gulping air. 15 mins later 1000 shad dying. 15 mins later, Millions of shad, buffs, carp, drum all gulping air and beaching themselves.

The replies to the report contain some very interesting information about what could have possibly have caused this event - one that could explain ALOT of these events.

If you smelled sulphur dioxide it does indicate that the anerobic layer of water somehow inverted - that does two things during hot water temps - first it brings up a layer of water where dissolved oxygen is at less than 2PPM - a death sentence for any fish, second the water in the anerobic layer is generally around 61 degrees - which is why you first saw shad affected - they couldn't stand the rapid water temp change of THIRTY degrees along with lack of oxygen - it would affect the smallest fish FIRST followed by progressively larger fish which didn't escape the flip flop of the thermal layer.

and

That could very well have been a hydrogen sulfide (H2S) release from the lake floor reacting with the water and forming sulfur dioxide(SO2). This is common when organic matter decays under water causing a pocket of SO2 and H2S to push up to the surface and "belch" into the air. As explained by someone else earlier, this is why the fish were dying. The sulfur compounds would account for the rotten sulfurish smell you noticed(CH4 (mehtane) is odorless in nature so it couldnt have been methane). H2S is a highly deadly gas and is Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health at only 100 Parts Per Million in air.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Don't volcanoes have sulphuric smells too?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I believe so as well as volcanic cave systems. Hopefully some of our members from Hawaii or the Philippines can chime in

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I am leaning towards Big EQ in the next few days... fish die off seems to be first in recent eq scenarios.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
An oily film on the surface of the water screams pollution; especially in China where laxity to environmental rules and corruption is a way of life.

In there rush to prosperity they are going to kill themselves thru carelessness and lack of respect for nature.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Just looking at the density of fish in the ponds, I'm going to vote for "bad fish management practices." It may be related to something in the environment (hotter than normal temperatures, for instance. Heat drives oxygen OUT of the water, and fish will suffocate if the water gets too warm) but I'm thinking that this is a problem caused by management practices.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Zeng said that local fishery and environmental protection departments are investigating the case and examining the water, but the reasons for the fish die-offs are unknown.

That's a hell lot of fishes... 9000 tanks of fishes X 3500-5000 fishes = 3.15-4.5 million dead fishes... for no reason...

No, it is 10 times bigger. You missed a zero.
35.1 million to 45 million fish.

That's going to smell really, really bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Gollum did it

But seriously this is sad. Being a fish farm and these fish are in tank, I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to think the farmers screwed up the PH or something worse. Maybe somehow oxygen wasn't getting into the water?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
7. And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. 8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell [Greek "hades" meaning the grave] followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death [disease], and with the beasts of the earth.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join