It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft 'intentionally designed software for phones to track customers without their consent'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Microsoft 'intentionally designed software for phones to track customers without their consent'

www.dailymail.co.uk

Microsoft allegedly tracks the location of its mobile customers even after users request that tracking software be turned off, according to a new lawsuit.

The proposed class action, filed in a Seattle federal court on Wednesday, says Microsoft intentionally designed camera software on the Windows Phone 7 operating system to ignore customer requests that they not be tracked.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ran a search but didn't see this one up yet. Apoligies if I've missed something.

Concerns about privacy are increasing, and it is more important than ever before for people to remain vigilant about the ways our privacy is being chipped away at -- by big corporations as well as by big government.

This strikes me as a particulalry egregious violation of trust and decency if true: Note that the system was specifically designed to ignore requests for non-tracking. In a just world, Ballmer and/or Gates would end up wearing a yellow jumpsuit for that. I'm guessing the world just yawns and forgets instead. But that doesn't mean we have to.

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that just about any cell phone you buy these days can be tracked by GPS as long as the battery is in the phone.

Edit-
After some quick, lazy googling:

The United States Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Enhanced 911 (E911) program requires that all cell phones transmit their phone number and location when dialing 911. The FCC gave phone manufacturers, service providers and PSAPs until the end of 2005 to comply with this ruling. This is one of the reasons many new telephones have GPS receivers built in, even if they can't provide turn-by-turn directions.

electronics.howstuffworks.com...

edit on 1-9-2011 by TheSnowman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.dailymail.co.uk

Microsoft allegedly tracks the location of its mobile customers even after users request that tracking software be turned off, according to a new lawsuit.

The proposed class action, filed in a Seattle federal court on Wednesday, says Microsoft intentionally designed camera software on the Windows Phone 7 operating system to ignore customer requests that they not be tracked.

I wonder if there are any earlier versions of Win Mobile phone (6.0, 6.1) that are the same?
I'd like to join into this lawsuit.
SnF

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Gah, you can be tracked with anything nowadays. Not suprised

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperCereal
Gah, you can be tracked with anything nowadays. Not suprised

But you should be surprised. And you should be angry.

What happens when an entire generation emerges without the slightest conception of traditional privacy that we have understood and taken for granted our whole lives?

Get mad.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It's been several years now that cars have had crash data chips installed in them. So this isn't really a first.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
It's been several years now that cars have had crash data chips installed in them. So this isn't really a first.

It is a first (that we know of) when one of the world's biggest companies (allegedly) deliberately designs something that ignores customer requests for privacy, even when customers have been told they can opt out. That's a lie.

I want somebody in prison over this. Not likely to happen though.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
With a modern cell phone, the rule of thumb-

Do not assume it can not track your location at any moment any time.

There has been cases of criminals who commited robberies
with there cell phone on them which is all the evidence they need.

I wonder how deep this will go.

Are we being conditioned to having our every move tracked
like a hurricane?

This could be abused terribly.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

At least Apple doesn't lie.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I agree that it's complete bs they should be allowed to lie about the fact they're tracking you. However, somebody is always tracking you anyway, as long as you own a cell phone.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I find the apple vs. microsoft false dichotomy almost as meaningless and stupid as dems vs. reps.

They are both big companies. They are both out to eliminate privacy.

I
edit on 1-9-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSnowman

I agree that it's complete bs they should be allowed to lie about the fact they're tracking you. However, somebody is always tracking you anyway, as long as you own a cell phone.

But see what the OP said?

Responses like "so what, this already happens..." -- you have already given in.

I have not.

Partgirl: No facebook, no twitter, no blog, no smartphone.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
What makes me laugh is things like this come out and people laugh about folks who talk about feeling like we're heading towards 1984. It's happening as we live and breathe.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Whoops, sorry
edit on 9/1/2011 by DieBravely because: I have to double post at least once a day or the minotaur under my bed will eat my soul

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

What happens when an entire generation emerges without the slightest conception of traditional privacy that we have understood and taken for granted our whole lives?

What happens? Then you get people like SuperCereal saying "so what, big deal?"

What I'm saying is, we're already there. Privacy is deader than chivalry.

Originally posted by Partygirl
I find the apple vs. microsoft false dichotomy almost as meaningless and stupid as dems vs. reps.

They are both big companies. They are both out to eliminate privacy.

Absolutely right! This deserves another look. We're becoming happy to toil endlessly as slaves to these soulless, heartless, mindless corporations. We have to see them for what they are; the downfall of the world.
edit on 9/1/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I was being sarcastic. ...I agree with you. GREAT point - Microsoft v/s Apple IS a false dichotomy - and just as meaningful as dems v/s reps.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

after 9/11 the carriers were required to log traffic on their network.

one way or another your cellphone is traced and tracked.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We are all prisoners of our own technology.
It's all about balance, if you want convenience you're going to have to sacrifice a little something, somewhere else.
You either play the game or you live like a hermit.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

then they'll be better adjusted to live in the modern connected world than previous generations are, with their outmoded ideas of privacy.

that's why us old folk die out - so things can move along!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join