It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Wants To Do Away With FEMA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The moment Hurricane Irene was sweeping through New York, Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul was calling for additional spending cuts before funding disaster relief.

The Texas congressman doubled down comments he made Friday that the nation was better off in the 1900s, before the existence of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

“Congressman, you would really at this point, do away with FEMA and all the things it’s doing to help hundreds of thousands of people along the East Coast?” Fox News Chris Wallace asked Paul.

“Have you ever read the reports that came out of New Orleans [after Hurricane Katrina]?” Paul laughed. “It’s a system of bureaucratic central economic planning, which is a policy that is deeply flawed.”

“So, no. You don’t get rid of something like that in one day… I propose we save a billion dollars from overseas war mongering, bring half of that home, put it against the deficit and yes, tide people over until we come to our senses and realize that FEMA has been around since 1978. It has one of the worst reputations for a bureaucracy ever.”

(Click here to read article and watch the video)

I didn't realize FEMA was 20 billion in debt. I couldn't agree more, however, that we need to do away with FEMA. It's a highly wasteful organization (Ilke most gov agencys) that also carries along with it the conspiracy of FEMA camps which seem to have a place in the NWO police state.

edit on 28-8-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Agreed. Now after hearing what Paul said on the matter, lets see how it will be spun in the press.

"Ron Paul advocates letting people die in floods"

Or something similar when what he is proposing is a move to greater accountability and fiscal discipline by handling disasters at the local level.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I agree with Ron, again.

Shut FEMA down, this is why states have the National Guard. The entity is already in place and a functioning command structure. If they lack some of the training needed to handle some situations, then get them trained in it. But the bottom line is the National Guard can handle pretty much anything that is thrown at them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I love me some Ron Paul. I got my daily dose, now I can resume on with my life today.

I love the way this guy thinks. He is logical.

The next pet I get will be named Ron Paul, mark my words.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Try using the search function before you go making a thread...........

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I agree.
FEMA has done nothing but cost the US lives and billions of tax dollars.
It has lined the pockets of corporations, and politicians.
It's a broken horse that needs to be put down for it's own good.

As we allot more tax dollars to FEMA and they hemmorage funding like a stuck pig, we suffer from their corruption and incompetence.

I won't get into the Katrina Trailer fiasco... where, after aquiring trailers for free or at a seriously low cost, they let them sit unused, on lots...sealed up tight...until the glue fumes filled them, then they deemed them un inhabitable, sold them at auction and made a mint.

( FYI: This is normal....all mobile homes exude glue fumes after they are built and assembled. 2 days of venting makes them fine. This is how every manufacturer does it, but not FEMA ...they used it as an excuse to make profit.)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
After Katrina can you blame him? All that taxpayer money given to fema and they don't know which way to pull their heads out of there ass. kinda reminds me of this old ass cartoon and Williby being Fema. And let's just say everyone in washington to me is reprsented by Williby. lmao

edit on 28-8-2011 by shortyboy because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2011 by shortyboy because: Cuz i can

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

CNNs Wolf Blitzer was interviewing a governor of one of the states affected by Irene and asked him "Ron Paul said he wants to cut FEMA, on a day like this, what would you say to him?"

He was obviously hoping for the governor to paint Ron Paul as an evil bogeyman, but instead he was told this was no time for politics.

Maybe it's a good sign that CNN is switching to attack mode. Perhaps they're beginning to see Paul as more of a real threat to the establishment, rather than one they can simply ignore?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Soo, let's see if I get this straight.

The messiah of the TEA Party is saying that if you are in a natural disaster, he wants to give you the finger. Basically it's your fault for being in a natural disaster and to bad so sad.

And you all want to make this guy president? Remember this if some horrible act of god happens to you. The guy that you stump for, and prey to, and worship like a god, will if elected, not help you out in any way shape or form.

Not saying that FEMA is perfect, we all know they have problems in that organization, but I think it would be far worse if State governments were required to handle any disasters that happen to come along.

What happens if you all get your wish and there's 0% federal funding for anything and 0% tax and the state has to pick up the check for everything? Are you all going to start complaining that state tax is too high? It sure as hell will be if there's a natural disaster and there's no federal help coming your way. I can imagine property and state taxes go through the roof.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

The messiah of the TEA Party is saying that if you are in a natural disaster, he wants to give you the finger. Basically it's your fault for being in a natural disaster and to bad so sad.

And you all want to make this guy president? Remember this if some horrible act of god happens to you. The guy that you stump for, and prey to, and worship like a god, will if elected, not help you out in any way shape or form.

Not saying that FEMA is perfect, we all know they have problems in that organization, but I think it would be far worse if State governments were required to handle any disasters that happen to come along.

What happens if you all get your wish and there's 0% federal funding for anything and 0% tax and the state has to pick up the check for everything? Are you all going to start complaining that state tax is too high? It sure as hell will be if there's a natural disaster and there's no federal help coming your way. I can imagine property and state taxes go through the roof.

No, he's saying that we should stop FEMA from giving us the finger when we are in a natural disaster and charging us money to do it.

I guess you forgot about GWB appointing his friend to head up FEMA.
a guy with ZERO credential, experience or knowledge on how to do the job.

GWB thought FEMA was a cake job he could give out to anyone, because they do nothing of importance anyway, and appointed his buddy as the man in charge..

How about FEMA blocking experienced, professional aid workers from helping Katrina victims due to ignorant policy?

FEMA is broken, corrupt, and extremely costly.

git rid of it, and start fresh.
that would be safer, and cheaper for all of us.

If you take my tax money to do a job, you need to do it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ron Paul, on the week of a earthquake in VA. and a hurrican moving up the east coast you want to what ? Give me a break, you are looking for publicity.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
He wants to make things like Emergency Management a STATE issue. How can the Federal Government know what is best for specific areas? For example, my state (NY) would handle emergency response much better to a disaster then some suits in DC.

Also, FEMA sucks. Lets face it. They screwed up big time in Katrina. They had egos and stopped people from helping. I believe they did the same thing during the oil spill in the gulf. And how about the "trailers" they were giving people down there to live in? How about the millions upon millions of dollars worth of donated goods, that sat in a warehouse because FEMA didn't know what to do with it.

I love all the witch hunting of Ron Paul. If you actually listen to his message, instead of having a knee-jerk reaction at the sound bytes, maybe more people would agree with him. But the MSM wants to push the "Oh there goes that CRAAZY Ron Paul again". He is correct. FEMA is another bloated worthless government agency just siphoning money out of our pockets.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ron Paul's interview with Chris Wallace was spot on. They asked Ron Paul about fema and he told them he was in a coastal district and they love how he is opposed to fema. Another grand slam.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
emergency management should be directed by the states.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

about as straight as the norway spiral.
edit on 28-8-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Dr. Paul is correctly all about states rights of state governance--not some huge, centralized bloated bureaucracy of a Federal clearinghouse. He has the same mindset on the Department of Education (which has NEVER educated one child, but mires school districts into a one size fits all PC bowl of mush).

The good doctor gets ignored by the media, because the media can't handle the hard truths he speaks. Michelle Bachmann runs a close second in her call outs on federal waste. That is why, IMO, they are marginilized by the msm.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
No federal agency serves as a better example of government fraud, waste, and abuse!!!

Good for you Ron Paul!

edit on 28-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I totally agree with Ron Paul, but not just because it is an "Bankrupted Wasteful Federal Agency".

It is also the most dangerous Agency in the USA, any Government Putsch would have to count on FEMA - since it is the only Agency with power to decree a "temporary" State Of Emergency, in other words - Martial Law.

Everybody saw how FEMA handle the New Orleans disaster, how they brought in the armed forces, how they attacked, and disarmed local residents just trying to protect their homes/businesses from looters.

Rid the world of this aberration called FEMA, but not because of it's wastefulness. Destroy it because of it's totalitarian powers, and willingness to used them!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The responsibilities and duties of the federal government are very limited and very clear. National Defense.National Security. National Safety. Creating and enforcing national laws and regulations as they pertain to aforementioned. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but essentially it's a very specific and finite list. And as our federal government has way overreached its boundaries and using this very thing to tax us to death, it's time we pared it back to where it should be. It's really very simple when you discard all the special interests and butthurt and it's not even all that scary...most of the things we think or have been convinced we just can't live without will simply transfer back to the states.

As for FEMA itself, it's the old centralize/decentralize debate, and as with many debates the best answer lies somewhere in the middle in some sort of compromise and cooperation. I believe FEMA may be necessary to a degree as a reporting and oversight coordination function, but at its most bloated should probably consist of 50 people...one per state, and maybe a couple for the territories...plus a person they report to. What it has grown into just breeds waste and burns $$$.
edit on 8/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've seen FEMA in action twice, once on St. Croix after Hurrican Hugo and in Stuart, FL after Hurricanes Frances and Jean. There are people on St. Croix who are only ALIVE because of FEMA. FEMA provided food, emergency building materials, and shelter for people who had lost everything to Hugo. Stuart after Frances and Jean wasn't as bad but it got hit pretty bad. FEMA provided shelter, loans or grants for repairs, and in some cases direct food aid. FEMA may need more oversight but it has done a tremendous amount of good. The main problems in NOLA after Katrina were caused by Mayor "Chocolate City" Nagin and Governor Landreau putting partisan politics ahead of their constituents well being.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join