It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Member Claiming To Have Important Warning/Information. You Be The Judge...

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

No worries.
You are doing so much and things are moving very quickly on this thread.

For all your hard work!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hi there kdog,
yes, the SCEC is also an excellent resource.
I was aware of that one but in this case I was only addressing my comments to what Honor had queried re USGS and an apparent absence of some quakes in their database/maps.

It's now been sorted out.
(See below)

reply to post by Honor93

Hi Honor,

all is well and I understand completely.
Considering the resources I know you have to hand I actually suspected it might be just an attack of the "tireds". I've had them more than a few times, especially during long spells on ATS!
However, I posted the link to the US map and a data page sample anyway as there might be some members who don't know that the USGS has two sets of quake maps that cover the US and so they might find it useful to have the link. It was also to show that different earthquake databases sometimes have differences in the magnitude values they assign to quakes.

Wife and I had hugs and then she kindly syringed my ears for me as they both blocked up this afternoon. Most annoying. The syringing didn't help much but it was better than nothing.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Honor93

Thanks for your post and the links to those resources. Good to have them and more to add to my gowing list of quake resource bookmarks in my firefox browser.

Also just want you to know I've sent a response to your U2U.

Meanwhile, I'd like to ask members to keep an eye out for any significant quake activity in the region of Nth Afghanistan, especially around the Hindu Kush region and NW towards Tajikistan and over to Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, which all border the Afghani region I mentioned. There was a mag 4.5 in the Hindu Kush region yesterday (ie Wednesday) and while it could be significant I am more concerned about potential events at least a mag higher.

Though this might seem totally unconnected to the current thread's main region of interest in California I can assure you that I've mentioned it for a good reason and it does relate. The explanation would take quite a while but I'll do that later if it turns out that a mag 5-plus quake occurs in that region within the next 72 hours. (Just btw, I know about the Mag 5.1 in Southern Xinjiang, China that occurred a few hours ago but it's the Afghan region that I'm more concerned about right now.)

Mike

I haven't seen anything yet,but here is a neat tool to use for that.
www.seismicportal.eu...

www.seismicportal.eu...#

I too,have been reminded that I am married,so I have too go.
Even my kids miss me!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Gee...thanks for the hoax....and there is no member by the name of (Tmiddlebrook35).

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yes there is a person by that name, they have made several posts about a possible M8 quake hitting very soon.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Gee...

Actually, GEE is a handy little program.

thanks for the hoax....

Despite its location, whether or not this is actually a hoax has yet to be determined.

and there is no member by the name of (Tmiddlebrook35).

tmiddlebrook35 was banned... they now have the username tmiddlebrook36
edit on 15-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

If you go to the top of the page and click (tools)...then click (members)...then scroll down to the bottom of the page and type in (tmiddlebrook35) and hit enter.....it comes back and says....."displaying 0 members that contain (tmiddlebrook35) ......"

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

They got banned and may have gotten banned again. Some of the information that they gave is very legitimate but has everyone investigating it all and they have only given bits and pieces at a time as they were worried about loosing their job over posting it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I was using the word (gee) not referring to a program. If it is not a (hoax) then why is it in the hoax section. If this person was banned...why were they allowed to come back?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey

They got banned and may have gotten banned again. Some of the information that they gave is very legitimate but has everyone investigating it all and they have only given bits and pieces at a time as they were worried about loosing their job over posting it.

Thank you for letting me know this additional information. I will try and keep more of an open mind about all of this.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Not sure who you are thanking, but you obviously haven't read much of the thread.....if you really are interested, then you should start at the begining and go over the first part of it and the last part at least. Lots of info here and most of it has nothing to do with a hoax, but scientific data and research.

@everyone else.

So there has been a ton of info exchanged and it really is hard just to get caught up on it all! I simply don't have time to look at all the links and read through that data. It trust that there are enough of us involved though that we'll ferret out the most important, possible applicable info.

Sorry to be gone so long, but life must go on!

I have mixed feelings.....like I am looking down the rabbit hole, yet there are enough splotches coming together to form an odd but recognizable picture. I even went so far today as to warn some people in my 'real' life. You know what? They believed me....and even recognized that a lot of people feel as if something is on the horizon. It's [not] just us searching through data on the internet. I have spoken with numerous people here lately suffering from headaches and anxiety. I haven't stepped out too far...only to say we should be prepared. Using the quakes off our coast as a wake-up call and saying that I'm afraid something is going to happen in Southern california what will have an impact on us too.

So it doesn't happen in our near future. Great. Glad I was wrong. But even if it means one of my friends is better prepared for any natural disaster that may come along, glad to look the fool for it.

The 7.3 in Fiji....will this satisfy the 188 day count? I would like to say...except for that it is on the WRONG side of the ring of fire. To me, this increases the probability of an even larger event on our side (the west). Hope again that I am wrong.
edit on 15-9-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Start with this post (assuming you've readthe first 5 pages of the thread) then work your way forward until you are current.

There has been much that has come to light regarding all of this and there is still more to find. Any assistance you an provide in the way of analysis, links to new resources, or insights would be most appreciated.

You will find that despite it's location in the hoax bin, all who have been actively contributing are taking this as a very serious matter.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Let me rephrase my response...I think i came across more abrupt than I meant to.

There is just so much info here, and it could potentially be so important, that it is a bit overwhelming.

I know it is confusing due to it being in the hoax bin. Those of us posting here have lately come to see this as a bit of a gift though, since we have been able to roll all of this around a bit 'under the radar' of the general population.

If you have the time and interest, give it a read. You may be intrigued and we would welcome any input you may have.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I get the point you are making. I have sent you a U2U with some details that might help to clarify the situation in this case.

EDIT to add: due to my slowness in writing my U2U to you, I see that others have already responded. In any case, I hope the message I sent you will be of some use.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 15/9/11 by JustMike because: added an eta

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

here is his/her profile....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-9-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Woah!!! Is this the quake you guys were talking about earlier that got changed?????

Earthquake Details
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 2.1
Date-Time Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 08:18:06 UTC
Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 01:18:06 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 40.446°N, 122.259°W
Depth 51.7 km (32.1 miles)
Region NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances 3 km (2 miles) ESE (102°) from Anderson, CA
7 km (4 miles) NNE (17°) from Cottonwood, CA
12 km (7 miles) S (190°) from Palo Cedro, CA
17 km (11 miles) SSE (147°) from Redding, CA
221 km (137 miles) NNW (342°) from Sacramento, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles); depth +/- 1.6 km (1.0 miles)
Parameters Nph= 11, Dmin=12 km, Rmss=0.07 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=4
Source California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID nc71647091

Check out the depth! 51.7 km
Probably why it got changed....THAT is unusuall. You don't often see quakes this deep in California. This came from something down deep.....like a subduction zone????
edit on 15-9-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Fiji quake is troublesome. Over 60% of all deep quakes (300 km or more) have historically occurred in this area, and almost all EQs deeper than 500 km have been here. This is one of the most active parts of the ring of fire. We need to watch for aftershocks in this area. Deep EQs dont usually produce aftershocks, but something tells me we are about to experience an underwater volcano erupting in this area. either way, an EQ this strong this deep is very unusual.

I don't have the maps in this computer, but if someone can produce a map showing EQ activity worldwide over the last 60 years, it illustrates the ring of fire and the concern t is talking about. The only area along the ring that isn't covered by EQ dots is the CSZ except where the triple junction exists, Cape Mendocino. And very little elsewhere along the CSZ. All the energy from other EQs along the ring is being transmitted outward. When it hits the CSZ it stops.

When the CSZ pops, it will set off a chain of events unlike any the earth has ever seen IMO. And I moved to the Cape Mendocino area in the late sixties from Frisco because geologists at that time didn't consider it a threat for serious EQs. It was too fractured or something like that. Now we know that the reason it is so fractured is because it does get EQs. Massive EQs. Every 500 years in the northern section, and every 250-300 years in the southern section from Cape Mendocino to the Oregon border. But saying every so many years is really meaningless cause it goes when it goes. And the next one will possibly set the record. Can anyone say M10.

ON EDIT; The most important way that any of us on the west coast can prepare for the big one on the CSZ is by studying the recent Japan EQ and tsunami. The tsunami generated when the CSZ goes will probably be bigger than the Japanese tsunami. The reason being the difference in a double junction EQ (Japan) and a triple junction EQ generated by a plate that is a relic, and slowly being pushed out of existence. The EQ wont be centered like the Japanese EQ, but instead will fracture along a wide area, possibly a 300 miles long fracture, as occurred in 1700. And the epicenter will probably be 50 miles off the Humboldt coast, giving the ocean ample distance to roll out a massive tsunami. Forget 30 and 45 foot tsunamis. I have a feeling we will be talking in the 100 foot range with a surge height reaching 200 feet. Most of the westcoast population centers are like Japan, in the tsunami zone. If you live in this area, do you know how to get to 200 feet above sea level quickly, with all roads destroyed or impassable. I like to have an emergency pack by the door (flashlights, water proof matches etc) and feet that are ready to run as fast as I can to a safe place. We will have 15 to 20 minutes to get there. Maybe longer. but not much.
edit on 15-9-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Dont think so there was another one this afternoon that had the info posted by anmarie in quakewatch at 2:50 pm today ATS Quake Watch and that got removed from the map in under 5 minutes and has not returned yet. It was located at Mt. Shasta. I have a scrennie of the USGS map with the loc.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The one I saw was just N of Redding, CA...speaking of which...weren't there recently two 2. something earthquakes at Mt Rainer in the last couple of days? I'll go check

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Speaking of GEE, it is indeed a useful little program.

Now, clearly CLPrime knows what GEE is, but for anyone who wonders "what on Earth is GEE??", then you're close as that's what GEE is all about: the Earth! It's the Global Earthquake Explorer program, that allows you to click on live seismo stations in various parts of the world and watch the seismograph traces in a real time viewer format. Most cool and well worth getting and learning from.

With practice you can even estimate the magnitudes of quakes -- and we have at times noted them in threads before they show up on USGS.

For anyone who wants GEE, you can download it free (and safely) direct from the providers (via Uni of South Carolina) HERE.

Windows (98, ME, 2000, XP and later), Mac OS X (10.2.6 or later), and Unix/Linux versions are all available.

If you need help or guidance on how to use GEE, you can either ask those of us here who use it or (if we're not around), refer to TrueAmerican's excellent thread called GEE (Global Earthquake Explorer) Tips.

Just a note: in TrueAmerican's opening notes in his thread he says that GEE can take a long time to load the stations. This used to be so, but lately I've found that it only takes a minute or two. I would guess they have improved their servers since he wrote that post almost two years ago.

Another member on page one of that thread even tells you how to install GEE on an Ubuntu OS.

Anyway, best regards to everyone and hope you enjoy GEE,

Mike

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join