It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic: Hurricane Irene "Looking Bad" for U.S.—Moon May Make It Worse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I've noticed a lot of people on these Irene threads actually downplaying the seriousness of Irene so how about something from a source that is not known for fear mongering but rather research and facts.

National Geographic:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The exact times, places, and intensities of Hurricane Irene's predicted U.S. landfalls are still ripe for revision, but according to meteorologist Keith Blackwell, at least one thing is certain: "It's looking bad." And the moon is at least partly to blame for that cloudy outlook.

By Friday morning, Irene will likely be a Category 4 hurricane—a storm with wind speeds between 131 and 155 miles (211 and 249 kilometers) an hour—according to the National Hurricane Center.

From Space:

And this from Patch.com

monroe.patch.com...

* The storm impacts our area Saturday night into Sunday
* Be prepared for at least 5 to 10 inches of rain, causing flooding
* Strong, sustained winds of 40 to 70 MPH are expected
* Flooding is likely and wind damage may cause power outages

Inland Towns Are Not Safe From Hurricane Irene:

monroe.patch.com...

Satellite images show Irene's length almost equal to that of the eastern seaboard, with hurricane force winds extending outward some 90 miles from her center. Storm-force winds currently reach out more than 290 miles from her eye and current estimates are that she'll drop six to 12 inches of rain wherever she tracks.

Some helpful tips that many aren't considering:

* Take in the lawn furniture and anything that's not a permanent fixture. Toys, garden tools, wheelbarrows, hanging plants can become deadly missiles in hurricane force winds.
* If you get occasional water in the basement, move what you don't want wet upstairs. Flood insurance doesn't cover basement losses.
* If you have a boat, get it out of the water and store it. Not only will Long Island Sound surge, but rivers, lakes and ponds will flood.
* Ride out the storm away from windows, and take notice of where nearby trees are planted. Maples, oaks and elms aren't built to bend like palm trees. Whipped by wind, top-heavy with rain, limbs will snap, trees will be uprooted and power lines will fall.
* Be sure there's a full tank of gas in the car and cash on hand. ATM's, gas pumps, anything that uses electricity could be out for a week. Stock up on food and prepare a Disaster Kit (see PDF checklist) for the family, including pets.
* If you have any concerns about your home standing up to Hurricane Irene, go to a friend's home or call your town police department (not on the emergency line) for advice. Trailer homes are unsafe. Major hurricanes often spawn tornadoes and Irene is already a Category 3.

And here is the real problem:

Some residents, however, were surprised to even hear a storm was coming. "What hurricane?” asked Janice DePalma of Monroe, her cart piled high with groceries. "I just don't have any food in the house. Is it really coming?"

How blind are people to not be aware of a hurricane coming in that may be the cause of mass evacuations...in their own neighborhood! Stock up on the water, dry goods, canned, matches, flash lights, batteries etc...Come on!

This is what makes me angry and frustrated. What are people going to do when this thing hits? All the warnings are there and yet many still believe that the local 7-11 will be their island in the storm.

A State of Emergency has been implemented. What more does it take?

The Military is taking it seriously so maybe paying a little attention to what's going on would be a good idea right about now:

Anyway...just wanted to post a bit of NG info and I guess a little rant as well. Didn't plan it but, oh well.

Please be safe, use your common sense, stock up, help the elderly and the little ones...whatever it takes.

Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot worse than many are expecting.

Peace

edit on 25-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
S & F

Typhoon/ Category 5 forming in the Pacific...

mentioned on CNN about 30 minutes....

panahon.blogspot.com... (so far)

Stuff is getting real...week by week, day by day...

2012?? We gotta make it through 2011.......

edit on 25-8-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am glad I live in Texas for once lol..Joking aside, I hope they are wrong. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
You know, I was just camping last week and made a comment to someone how most people living in big cities would be completely lost if they had to take care of themselves. Can you imagine if the damage is as widespread as it appears it could be? If New York city or all of Manhattan is without power/water for more than a few days? How long until looting/violence took place? Hours? Minutes? I've always compared of New York to a box filled with rats...take away the food and water and watch how fast they turn on each other.

I hope people listen and leave or at least take precautions. This could be very bad.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I am really worried now. I have family in NYC, Long Island, and the coasts of South Carolina and Georgia.
edit on 25-8-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I was in Miami the day after Andrew came through and stayed six weeks. I can't begin to tell you how bad it was. I grew up in South Miami, and was familiar with the area before the hurricane. It looked like a foreign country afterwards. There was a billboard attached to a very large iron I-beam that was twisted and bent over to the ground. All the chain link fences were flattened due to the wind blowing things into them. The first day we got there (National Guard), we went out to the beach, and there was a very large boat (in my mind a ship) that was sitting on dry land with a concrete light pole stuck straight up through the center of it like a mast. What a lot of people don't understand about hurricanes is that it's not how the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing. There were brick buildings whose bricks had completely blown away without a trace. If you're hit by one of those, or whatever at 150 miles an hour, you're gonna have a bad day.
My suggestion to those in the projected evacuation areas is to get the hell out of there, now!!!!!
You may not have another chance, and no I am not fear-mongering...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
I've always compared of New York to a box filled with rats...take away the food and water and watch how fast they turn on each other.

Yeah but take away their parking space and they'll kill you. The food and water are just afterthoughts.

okkkkkkkkkkk, juuuuuust kidding.....

*sigh*

Seriously, let's hope this sukka just heads out to open water and scatters. With a 300 mile wind radius though, might be a good time to invest in... hurricane-resistant windmills?

I dunno. Crazy me. *smack*

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I saw some live feed footage of Irene from the ISS on sky news yesterday, and was shocked by
the sheer size of its cloud formation. Im no expert on hurricanes but had a feeling what I was
looking at was something out of the ordinary compared to other hurricanes I have seen before,
in terms of potential for damage if it strengthens anymore.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

In Miami (Andrew), seriously there was nothing left worth looting. The State of Florida saved hundreds of thousands of lives during that time, with the help of the National Guardsmen, other branches of Military, Florida Highway Patrol, and local law enforcement/emergency personnel. Florida really did a great job for it's people, and I was proud of everyone involved...

edit on 8/25/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I saw some live feed footage of Irene from the ISS on sky news yesterday, and was shocked by
the sheer size of its cloud formation. Im no expert on hurricanes but had a feeling what I was
looking at was something out of the ordinary compared to other hurricanes I have seen before,
in terms of potential for damage if it strengthens anymore.

This puts the size into perspective:

link   
DBL post.
edit on 25-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

It's great to hear the stories of our National Guard being used for what it was meant for.....saving lives on American soil. Thank you for your service!

What concerns me is that the Florida Government and its inhabitants are well versed (for the most part) in the dangers of hurricanes and how to respect its power. How often have the states in its sites this weekend had to deal with a storm of this size?? There are probably not too many residents left alive since a storm this big last hit, and memories tend to be short anyways.

Looking through lists of states and their warnings/recomendations, they seem very wide and varied. Some are being cautious....some, like DC are still only addressing the quake damage and haven't even issued any warnings for its residents regarding this storm.

I am afraid that these states and the people there will largely be taken by surprise. They may know a storm is coming but aren't aware just how serious it is.

I pray this storm turns, because I think that if this hits New York and surrounding states as a category 1 hurricane.....well, I think what happened with Katrina, as horrible as it was, will not be as bad.
edit on 25-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by westcoast

I've always compared of New York to a box filled with rats...take away the food and water and watch how fast they turn on each other.

You're kidding right? Narrow minded much? Have you ever been to New York or just read news reports about it?

Like True American said - you take my parking space there's hell to pay - but I would share my food and water! You so sure your neighbors would?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Sorry if you took that personally. I make that analogy not of the people themselves, but the sheer numbers.

There are a whole lotta people on that island....cut it off without food, water or power and I am pretty darn sure there is going to be some bad things going down in a hurry.

Yes, I have been to New York. Once, last summer. I don't want to go back. I prefer my life in the country where yes, I know my neighbors would not only feed me, but defend my life if need be. We have done it before for each other.

I pray you are right, don't get me wrong. I just fear what would happen.
edit on 25-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It looks like it would be fun, i mean who wouldnt like to put ur test through urban survival, can you make it... then you get to say that you did, granted you might lose alot of valuables in the process but at least you know you can handle things a lil more rough then what they are. I wish we got one of these on the west coast.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I didn't take it personally and apologize for my knee jerk reaction, but, that kind of thinking and generalization is not helpful. Not all New Yorker's are bad and not all country folk are good.

Doesn't help that I'm about to be washed away by Irene. Why the hell couldn't they name this hurricane George Clooney - then maybe I wouldn't mind being washed away!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
From Space:

I'm wondering why in this satellite video, there is no movement whatsoever of this storm. Swirling, I mean. Shouldn't this thing be spinning... somewhat? If you tell me it's a static pic, why does the Earth rotate downward, implying the satellite is flying over? If this is a series of still shots, the eye of the storm should still appear to rotate.

Sorry if this is an idiotic question. I will be a shame pup.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

From Space:

I'm wondering why in this satellite video, there is no movement whatsoever of this storm. Swirling, I mean. Shouldn't this thing be spinning... somewhat? If you tell me it's a static pic, why does the Earth rotate downward, implying the satellite is flying over? If this is a series of still shots, the eye of the storm should still appear to rotate.

I've seen these before and with the size and distance, to see a movement is almost impossible.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

No apology necessary at all. You are absolutely right, certainly a good portion of New Yorkers are great people...I am just afraid they aren't prepared for this type of disaster.

I will be praying for you!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

From Space:

this video was taken from the space station. it's too high to show any movement from the storm.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join