It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic: Hurricane Irene "Looking Bad" for U.S.—Moon May Make It Worse

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i live 15 miles inland from Atlantic City. Ive been in 5 or 6 Hurricanes in my lifetime here in N.J. and none of them were even close to what this is gonna be. this going to be devastating for the seaside communities, and barrier islands. places like Brigantine, L.B.I.and Seaside, are gonna be destroyed. with these mandatory evacs in place, i dont think too many people are going to be boarding up their windows, and most of the houses built since the 1950's are only rated at 75 mph. I am not looking forward to this!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
After living through 2 cyclones (Southern Hem) only a few weeks apart, to not take this seriously would be a very bad mistake.
That is a massive storm cell and people will get hurt if they take no precautions.
Save your personal paperwork/documents
Have food and water and medical kits on hand
Check your neighbors and old people who live alone and keep your pets locked up.
Be sensible.
We boarded up our Eastern facing windows, one hit South of us and the other North. When we lost power , in the middle of the night, we had no idea the path of the cyclones until the morning, so a battery operated radio is a must as well.
A couple of weeks later we went North and there was only stumps left of some houses, and what was once forested mountains looked like a sea of leafless sticks in the ground.
If in doubt get out early.
Good luck to those in the path of this monster, you'll remember the noise forever.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My folks are right in the (presumed) path of this thing being in Virginia. Hope they don't get washed away! I made it through hurricane Ike in Houston in 2008 and it is no fun being without power for a week. Definitely smart to stock up on non-perishables and water, we get so used to just running to the local grocery but when these things hit NOTHING is open! Also don't forget to emply out your fridge and freezer before the power goes out. Perishables go out fast once that power cuts off. Good luck to everyone in the path!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Have you never heard the saying...be careful what you wish for?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordpiney

Originally posted by new_here

Originally posted by jude11
From Space:

I'm wondering why in this satellite video, there is no movement whatsoever of this storm. Swirling, I mean. Shouldn't this thing be spinning... somewhat? If you tell me it's a static pic, why does the Earth rotate downward, implying the satellite is flying over? If this is a series of still shots, the eye of the storm should still appear to rotate.

Sorry if this is an idiotic question. I will be a shame pup.

this video was taken from the space station. it's too high to show any movement from the storm.

I will believe you, and the other poster, because I am not an expert on these things. May I just say that it confounds the brain... See, in the 46 seconds of footage, not so much as a shadow changes, nothing to indicate movement whatsoever. Yet, in that same 46 seconds of filming, that baby was spinning like a freakin hurricane to anyone in its path, I guarantee! This is certainly a space-time puzzle to me, and try as I may, I just cannot truly wrap my brain around it, I am sad to say.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but just one more serious question... If someone's house got blown over in those 46 seconds... well, did it or didn't it? What I mean is, if you can see the eye, but it does not spin in those 46 seconds... how could it knock a house down in the same 46 seconds?
edit on 8/26/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That thing is huge...Can't believe we still have school tomorrow. Everything is in but the dog toys. Bring those in when I get back from the store.

*Water check
*can junk food check
*Jager check

*Cigerettes check
*Dog on leash check
*Hide in panic room check

Batteries tomorrow, fill up tomorrow, car stays in garage,

School books in suitcase, so they don't get water damages.

This is my first one to weather. What else do I need?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
That thing is huge...Can't believe we still have school tomorrow. Everything is in but the dog toys. Bring those in when I get back from the store.

*Water check
*can junk food check
*Jager check

*Cigerettes check
*Dog on leash check
*Hide in panic room check

Batteries tomorrow, fill up tomorrow, car stays in garage,

School books in suitcase, so they don't get water damages.

This is my first one to weather. What else do I need?

candles, and the longer burning the better. if you don't have a gas stove...one of those little propane camp stoves are a good choice. the electric could go out for a long time. good luck.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
omg, I have a propane gas grill on my back porch, should I disconnect that so it doesn't go boom? That would not be good. Especially on the back deck near the house. Call the gas company tomorrow to disconnect that.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

For clarity, the moon's influence will be tidal.

The high tide will be higher than normal during this period... conversely, the low tide will be lower too.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is so not a warm fuzzy.

Irene threatens 65 million along East Coast

It is a massive storm - spanning as wide as 700 miles - with tropical-force winds extending almost twice as far as normal.

edit on 8/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
People have this problem of waiting til "tomorrow", to do stuff. And then, tomorrow's stuff gets pushed to the following tomorrow....and before you know it...you're eyeball deep in bills. Know what i mean??? Tomorrow was here, yesterday...and the day before that. It's called procrastinating! Don't put off for "tomorrow" what you can do "today". Tomorrow is guaranteed NO ONE! Now, "Grab somebody sexy....tell 'em..hey, give me everything tonight...for all we know, we might not get tomorrow. Let's do it TONIGHT!" (Thank you, thank you very much)

Now, on the conspiracy end of things...all i can say is..."wow, didnt see that coming." Could you imagine, if everything from N.C. to N.E. was wiped out, New Orleans style? Ok, ok....just a little fear mongering. I mean, i dont watch t.v., so give me something to be scared about.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Dear Internet, Media and all parties involved,

This is not our first rodeo, thank you.
We have endured many, many other hurricanes along the Eastern Seaboard, not for decade but for centuries.
Is this one big? Yes.
Is this the largest we've ever had? No.
Will we survive this? Yes.
Is this a world ending, extinction level occurrence? No.

Thank you for your concern, not so much for the sensationalist hysteria.

If this it's your first experience, then welcome to the East Coast. Don't Panic.
If you live on the coast, now is the time to visit those inland relatives of yours.
Either way, tape up your windows,
Stock up on water, dry and canned foods, candles, flashlights, batteries and crossword puzzles.
Locate a nice, cozy basement (don't forget the radio) and hunker down for the duration.
If you are lucky, the falling trees will miss your car and house.

Let the kids be obnoxious, check the news broadcasts often, before you know it the storm will pass.
The streets will be a mess. There wil be damage. Insurance adjusters will hide and fight tooth and nail against claims. But most important of all, life will go on.

It had happened many times before, and we survived just fine.
Many more will happen, and we will survive just fine.

Sincerely,
East Coast.
edit on 8/26/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/26/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
S & F

Typhoon/ Category 5 forming in the Pacific...

mentioned on CNN about 30 minutes....

panahon.blogspot.com... (so far)

Stuff is getting real...week by week, day by day...

2012?? We gotta make it through 2011.......

edit on 25-8-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

Ya i am south of that in Central Philippines its incredible the constant wind being sucked into that thing, we have had steady 15-20 knots for days.
edit on 26-8-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Ever watch The Day after tomorrow?

Coincidence?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlUnleashed

Ever watch The Day after tomorrow?

Coincidence?
What coincidence?
Day After Tomorrow is a complete and total work of fiction loosely based on a book co-written by Art Bell and Whitley Streiber, which itself is based on complete pseudo-science around the very real science of the El Nino/La Nina phenomenon.

Plus, Roland Emmerich.
'nuff said.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U
People have this problem of waiting til "tomorrow", to do stuff. And then, tomorrow's stuff gets pushed to the following tomorrow....and before you know it...you're eyeball deep in bills. Know what i mean??? Tomorrow was here, yesterday...and the day before that. It's called procrastinating! Don't put off for "tomorrow" what you can do "today". Tomorrow is guaranteed NO ONE! Now, "Grab somebody sexy....tell 'em..hey, give me everything tonight...for all we know, we might not get tomorrow. Let's do it TONIGHT!" (Thank you, thank you very much)

Now, on the conspiracy end of things...all i can say is..."wow, didnt see that coming." Could you imagine, if everything from N.C. to N.E. was wiped out, New Orleans style? Ok, ok....just a little fear mongering. I mean, i dont watch t.v., so give me something to be scared about.

It's a thing called "It'll never happen to me" syndrome.

It's just not something we are programmed for anymore. Long term survival.

We are in an instant society that doesn't think past today and just a little bit into tomorrow. We only buy what we need for a few days and don't stop to think of what would happen if the 7-11 closed down, and then the Wal-Mart, Target...etc.

Oh well....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yawwwwnnnnnnnnnn.

Now Cat 2, just a weeee lil storm.

Wake me up when its over. No need for excitement til its cat 4 or above. bring out yer boogie boards!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You have to assume people are just covering their bases so if it is bad no one can say they weren't warned.

However , with the hype of this growing continously in the media you begin to wonder is there something they are not telling us?

Anyway, I will leave you to ponder these words of comfort:

Obama: Americans must take Irene seriously. 'All indications point to this being a historic hurricane'

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 26-8-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
FEMA director warns of power outages for days, flash floods, strong winds inland. Watch #Irene news conference:

www.breakingnews.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Looking for reports.

Anyone in the zone to report?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join