It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Mandatory Evacuation In New Jersey

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Philadelphia Inquirer: Mandatory Evacuation of 750,000 people ordered in Cape May county, New Jersey.

If anyone is in that area and is on this forum... what the hell are you doing?? get your basics together and get the hell outta there... more to follow

Updated Post:

Sky Breaking News Article

The Philadelphia Inquirer said officials in Cape May county have told people to leave from 8am local time tomorrow.

Irene, a category three storm with winds of up to 120mph (195km) has already caused damage in the Bahamas. Those who choose to ignore the mandatory evacuation order have been asked to place an ID card in their left shoe so they may be identified if necessary.

edit on 25/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: updated post with link then quotes

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

Ummm, being from New York, I'd wish you posted a link, source, and a reason why they claim almost a million people are leaving NJ. And where exactly are they gonna go? Talk about traffic jams!

Oh yeah, derrr, we may have some badass storms coming this weekend.

NJ prisons ready storm evacuation plans

www.chron.com...

NJ IRENE UPDATES: Major floods possible anywhere in NJ

www.dailyrecord.com...|head

Hurricane Irene: East Coast States Declare Emergencies, Amtrak Cancels Trains

abcnews.go.com...

edit on 25-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

link   

Sounds serious!
Would you like to post a link,so we can read this developement?
Thanx

link   

link???

More to the story???

Is this the Hurricane????

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow - 3/4 of a million people? That should go smoothly.

I'm surprised to hear it is mandatory already. You'd think they'd start with a recommendation before they go full throttle. Not reassuring, to be sure.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
One link I found...

Cape May County orders barrier island to evacuate Thursday, mainland residents will leave Friday

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE - Hurricane Irene is expected to barrel directly into Cape May County this weekend as a Category 2 storm packing sustained winds of 75 mph, as much as 16 inches of rain and a record high tide of 14 feet, county officials said.

At a press conference Thursday, county officials ordered a mandatory evacuation of Cape May County's barrier islands on Thursday and a mandatory evacuation of the mainland on Friday. The order covered all 16 municipalities, including the estimated 1 million residents, visitors and workers on this coastal peninsula.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
this has just broke as I am watching skynews

link

no full story yet more to follow
edit on 25/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

www.philly.com... 110825_Evacuation_ordered_for_all_of_Cape_May_Co_.html

Cape May County will take a direct hit from Hurricane Irene and that it could make landfall here. McCall said the decision was made to issue the order because Cape May County is considered the sixth most difficult area to evacuate in the U.S. based on it geography. "This kind of order isn't issued without a great deal of thought and concern. I urge you to move, to get out," said Cape May County Freeholder Gerald Thornton. The last time a mandatory evacuation proclamation was made was in 1985 during Hurricane Gloria.

Ahhhh, you guys are fast, beat me to it.

edit on 25-8-2011 by CarpenterMatt because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 25/8/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Found this...

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - Officials here issued a mandatory evacuation order late Thursday that begins at 8 a.m. Friday morning for all of Cape May County.

It is estimated that as many as 750,000 people will be ordered to leave the county, said Frank McCall, the county's emergency management coordinator.

McCall said it is likely that other shore counties, including Atlantic, Ocean and Monmouth, will issue similar evacuation orders.Evacuation ordered for all of Cape May Co.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 25/8/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ummm.. yes, could you sort out a link for everyone else to drink from your Fountain of Knowledge, please ? That would be very nice, thank you

OK, just ignore me. I apologise. Carry on, nothing to see here...
edit on 25-8-2011 by trisvonbis because: Lousy internet connection.

+139 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
if mtv don't cancel jersey shore, god will.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is breaking news, the reporters will be typing up an article right now as it was fresh into the studio breaking news as I was watching and was rolling on the breaking news yellow bar

I will update with links as they appear

link   
For more info,here is your city by city forecasts and more!

www.weather.com...

Hurricane central.
www.weather.com...
edit on 25-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

link   
source

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - Officials here issued a mandatory evacuation order late Thursday that begins at 8 a.m. Friday morning for all of Cape May County. It is estimated that as many as 750,000 people will be ordered to leave the county, said Frank McCall, the county's emergency management coordinator. McCall said it is likely that other shore counties, including Atlantic, Ocean and Monmouth, will issue similar evacuation orders. McCall said the National Weather Service has indicated that there is a 90 percent chance that Cape May County will take a direct hit from Hurricane Irene and that it could make landfall here.

I would guess this is the source

link   
link

edit on 25/8/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: (no reason given)

link   
Irene is predicted to be a weak category 1 hurricane by the time it gets there. Why is this necessary?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
wow...last evacuation in 1985...

This in itself is huge news, now combine this with all the other ridiculous news coming out each day and the prophecy of the Mayan days of destruction start to make sense...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
why New Jersey, what about Virginia and the Carolinas, New York. There are a lot of places that should be evacuating first. Maybe HAARP is planning on specifically hitting Jersey hard?
South park was right, jersey is the enemy. (I kid I love NJ)
edit on 8/25/2011 by GoldenObserver because: Addition

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
Irene is predicted to be a weak category 1 hurricane by the time it gets there. Why is this necessary?

Storm surge.
More to a hurricane then you think.

Heed the Warnings, Irene a Rare but Dangerous Hurricane

- Irene is a hurricane that poses an extraordinary threat and is one that no one has yet experienced in North Carolina to the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast and New England. - We can now narrow the projected path corridor. Confidence is growing that locations from eastern North Carolina and the eastern Mid-Atlantic states to Long Island to southern New England are all in the potential path of Hurricane Irene. - It is becoming clear that Irene's future track will NOT be a Hurricane Earl (2010) scenario where a hurricane barely brushes the Outer Banks of North Carolina then stays well offshore. - History tells us that no category 4 hurricane has made landfall north of the South Carolina/North Carolina border. That said, some computer guidance indicates a category 4 landfall over eastern North Carolina and this solution can NOT be ruled out. - There is historical precedence for a hurricane impacting the major metropolitan areas of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast but these hurricanes are rare. - However, with a population explosion along coastal areas of the Northeast during the past several decades, there is little to no precedence for a hurricane of this potential magnitude making landfall over highly populated metropolitan areas such as New York City. - Regardless of track and intensity, confidence is growing that Hurricane Irene will cause extensive tree and power line damage. Electricity infrastructure will be greatly compromised for millions if not tens of millions of Americans. - Recent heavy rains over parts of the Northeast, especially New Jersey, have made tree root systems highly vulnerable. Flooding rains combined with high winds will add to tree destruction. - Extent of water level rise (surge) for local bays, inlets and sounds is dependent on the local geography however suffice to say new high water marks could be set. - Severity of Irene's impacts are dependent on the final track. - Please begin to think about and act on your hurricane preparations. Now is the time.

www.weather.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Mandatory Evacuation in LBI

Jeez.. I didn't realize the severity of this storm. For those of us inland, I've heard that the most we can worry about is extremely high winds, fallen trees and power lines and power outages.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join