It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Watch Social Reality Television Programs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Simple Question?

With the rise of television programs here in the UK such as the following:

Big Brother

The Only Way Is Essex

Dirty Sexy Things

I've come to wonder why so many individuals retire to their couches at night to what such dross, I'll hold my hand up and admit that on occasion (aka tonight) I'll put one of these silly programs on the TV in the background and half watch it while I'm trying to read about extra-terrestrials or similar.

But from a serious point of view, why has this nation spawned a generation of people sitting at home on the couch watching people on TV sitting on the couch and generally embarrassing themselves?

Half of the time I'm not sure if I want to pat the characters I see on TV on the back or pity them, I'm not sure what's it's like for the rest of the world but I'd say that in the UK programs of such nature are definitely on the rise.

What gives?

Public demand for such programs or an increasing wilfulness for people to "make" a life for themselves by any means possible?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I cant STAND TV nowadays, most days its off, unless I am watching a DVD
I got rid of Satellite TV when Battlestar Galactica ended, if I want news, I can read it online or go to one of the media outlet's websites and watch streaming video

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Because people live vicariously through other people's drama.
Ever stopped to watch a car accident? Same reason.
Our egos get off on it.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Last one I watched was viva la bam and that was ages ago!!!!!!!!!!! Like in 2003??

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Television has been taken over by stupidity. Jersey Shore, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Lamar & Chloe, Housewives. Everything is a poison now days, and the new generation is falling victim to it. It's not like it use to be in the 80's-90's. I just watch youtube or netflix, or go through my collection of awesome DVD's.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I normally hate reality TV , but am watching Big Brother at the moment as my brother's boss is in it and it's been quite amusing to watch someone I hear about all the time.

I think people have always had a voyeuristic side to their nature, which partially explains the success of these formats.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The only one of that genre I have watched was "The Colony". It sucked, but the rest suck even more.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Because people live vicariously through other people's drama.
Ever stopped to watch a car accident? Same reason.
Our egos get off on it.

Yeah, I once heard the second biggest cause of car accidents is people slowing down to watch a previous car accident, scary...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

This is the same question I ask frequently. Everyone complains there is absolutely nothing on tv and for the most part that is true. More and more people I know are getting rid of cable along with the tv. If TPTB believed that their brainwashing tv shows were going to keep the masses dumbed down they need to get better programing or they are going to lose the battle by no contest.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Whats this we stuff? I can't stand the reality tv.

I like to watch the science/history channel, also don't mind watching the military channel.

But even then, I'm not really watching it just listening till something catches my attention. The rest of the time I'm either not there or I'm glued in front of my computer.

I love all the people who think that tv is stupid. New flash sheeple the internet is probably worse. Not really but it can be at times.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

We have a psychological need for social relations - this type of thing takes advantage of it, but at a cost that i think is not easily recognised. Check out the documentary 'starsuckers' for an interesting take on it - the whole celebrity (or should that be psuedo-celebrity?) thing is the new 'opium of the masses' in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
There are times I watch television. I cannot lie that I do not watch T.V. But I hate television. There is nothing on television that I like. Sometimes programs about the military, economics, or animals I do watch. But everything I seen as a kid or teenager I could care less about. All the shows I loved in the past I hate with every inch of my being. If I could I would just attack the television and destroy it without hesitation. Because I hate popular culture!
edit on 25-8-2011 by ManOfGod267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Reality TV isn't reality, but the people simple enough to watch it desire it to be, so they are in fact creating the reality of the reality TV, life imitating art, imitating life, entertaining the dim witted.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Great question I have asked myself a million times. What ever the "reality-thingy" is, it is creeping into other shows too.

Just about any human endeavor is now fodder for a TV show. As long as the focus is on the human interaction versus the stated subject of the show, it's a winner.

I swear, you could make a show about garbage collectors and people would watch if there was some ridiculous form of petty drama. Who cares if they ever actually pick up any trash, that is besides the point. It is almost like semi-non-fiction soap operas.

The scariest part is the news seems to be getting sucked into the same vortex of stupidity. Ask anybody what the invertebrates running for office in 2012 have a proven track record of voting for and you will get blank stares. But just let the same invertebrates start to smack talk about each other or have some sexual discretion and it is game on. People can now talk about them for hours.

Seriously, how long before we have shows filming the bus tours of these goobers?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I hate all this so called reality tv ( it scripted any one with half a brain can see it ) I have never watched any of them its just chewing gum for the eyes, I actualy think its a test because if every body watches this IQ draining tripe, and enjoy it then the PTB know that we are stupid enough to do what ever they sy and as a reward they will put on another reality tv show

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I do not watch reality TV-I find it almost as brain melting as the soaps.
I also detest the latest generation of "reality tv"-you know the sort that are filled with nobodies,but are actually scripted as well-A sort of fake/reality TV.
I'm talking about the Essex/Chelsea shows...Man do they suck or what?

I wish our news channels show "reality news" though,instead of the politically biased bullcrap we are fed these days.

So I tend to stick to movies or documentaries if I watch anything.
No doubt soon they will have documentaries and movies about reality shows,just to piss me off.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The only reality TV that I like are the ones about dangerous jobs (Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, etc.). In my mind, those kinds of shows are totally different than, say, Kardashians or Big Brother.

With these, you get to learn some stuff and get insight on how people do jobs that are really tough to do.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
i think many watch the reality TV shows to see what behaviors are good/bad/indifferent..
they know that they themselves are right on the edge of going ballistic, or fringe psychotic,...

they are interested in comparing themselves to the behaviors of the reality-test particopants on a TV format

that vouyerism angle is in error... there are 24hr live webcams that provide that aspect of vouyerism & selacious peeping-tom disease

i echo what Anoynymoose posted in that reply

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well for a start it's getting expensive to take the family to the zoo.
May as well tune in and watch strange breeds on the tv instead.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I used to enjoy watching TV but now, with so few quality programmes available, I hardly bother. There are only two or three shows a week that interest me whereas in the past it might be a handful of shows each evening.

The reality shows I watch are Big Brother and the various Pop Idol / X Factors on the grounds that if I'm going to spend an hour watching utter tripe it might as well be honest utter tripe - even though it patently isn't honest. Except for it's not pretending to be anything other than tripe

What fascinates me is that the TV producers don't even try to hide how much it's edited and manipulated any more. They've got as 'couldn't care less' as the politicians. They're all like a stage magician who has lost all respect for his audience and doesn't care if his sleight of hand has got sloppy and we can all see the stuff shoved up his sleeves or thrown over his shoulder.

Something I find as deplorable as the reality shows is the fact that 'celebrities' are now taking over as quiz show contestants. Somehow they've all got their snouts in the trough and finding a show featuring ordinary members of the public comes as something of a relief.

I'm saving my real venom for the ads, though. A few days ago I saw an ad that mentioned Christmas. Oh, gawd. I nearly had a nervous breakdown last year from September through to Christmas day. I'm not joking, I nearly cried. It seems to me that the ad breaks are getting longer and the ads are getting more and more persistent and aggressive. Go Compaaaaaaaaare - if I do have a breakdown, that's the company I'm going to sue

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join