It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Releases Statement on Comet Elenin 19AUG2011 (Disinformation?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

So here we have a senior scientist from NASA explaining how there is no threat from Comet Elenin.

My question is whether or not you think NASA is giving information or disinformation.

If this were to actually affect us, do you think NASA would give us ample time to prepare? Or would they rather wait until the last minute to keep order within the country and the world. Do you think they would spill the beans early and cause chaos and panic, or would they hold off as long as possible?

I'll go first...
I think in this case, we're only going to experience the pass of a comet. However, if and when future events present themselves, I do not believe they would be honest about it. It just wouldn't be practical to cause fear and panic when the world can do nothing to stop it.

** This was also posted today titled: "Elenin Heads Towards Earth"
The guy has some very interesting points; figured I'd put it up for debate as well. It's really hard to pick sides to this issue when you look at it from this angle...

edit on 19-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

In the world we live in today, they can try all they want but panic would arise at some point. Maybe not exactly when they first discover it, but we have alot of amateur eyes on the sky and tons of communication methods available. I would actually like to be oblivious to my ultimate demise and live my final hours the way I was living them and be happy. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen lol

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If their was a comet coming or a planet coming that would cause disaster. Do you think they would tell you? I dont think they would even tell us at the last min.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Elenin is a COMET. A comet is 85% ice. Our atmosphere burns up anything that enters it. What ever debris is left of it probably will disintegrate. I'm not worried.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ok forgive me but i am of the age when,,
Jack Kennedy,,,were putting a man on the moon, Bobby.
Bobby,, which would tell the Russians ,
, if we can land a man on the moon,
imagine were we can land ,,,,,,,

John,, no wonder your President,,

And we have till,,,whats the time frame there, Mac?

Ohh and set up an Angency,, call it NASA,,,,
give them whatever they need,,,

later,,,
"this Is One Step For Mankind"
Yes Walter,, thats live from the surface of the moon, ladies and gentlemen,,

picture of Nasa Emploies,,

Cigars and,, champange,,,

all with the computing power of an Atari,,

wow

and now i hear this "drizzle"

pathetic.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think that what we lack most is "heroes of science" who can encourage kids (or grownups for that matter) to learn about the world and learn how to tell reliable information from unreliable information. The sad truth is that many of the people doing Youtube videos (which seem to be so convincing) couldn't tell a comet from an asteroid and have never really looked at the sky through a telescope or binoculars.

They have no idea how far away stars are (they behave as though they're all in some sort of cosmic shell at an equal distance from us.

NASA is not hiding anything. There are hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers around, and if NASA really WAS trying a cover up, every single one of them would be yelling their heads off. NASA couldn't move for the crowds of university astronomy students, people with telescopes, and field binocular astronomy buffs standing on their lawn and shouting ugly things at them.

The next time you hear some sort of Dreadful Incident, stop and look for an astronomy forum and see what those folks are saying about it. Believe me, if it was a danger, that would be the FIRST place you'd see calculations about trajectories and impacts and other effects.

Even Fox News says the popular view is absurd

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They seem very keen on convincing us that we're all safe - If they know that is a fact why even try when they know time will prove it??

I for one think that as they know more and more astronomers are going to be seeing this thing and reporting on it they're ensuring we stay calm and don't panic till it's too late. Just a gut feeling.

I also don't trust anyone who continuously licks their lips whilst talking - first sign of a liar!!!! Didn't Clinton do this?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
If their was a comet coming or a planet coming that would cause disaster. Do you think they would tell you? I dont think they would even tell us at the last min.

As much as I feel it's our right to know of impending disaster, they probably shouldn't tell us. If every one of us on the surface of the planet had no chance at survival I'd rather die in ignorant bliss relatively quickly from a massive asteroid strike then spend my last days fighting for my life against a society gone bats##t insane destroying everything in sight cause they're pissed.
edit on 19-8-2011 by bigern because: grammar

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't worry. You can't stop anything in space from killing us all

At least the world will be at peace

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

NASA have been getting tons of emails every day asking them whether or not Elenin is going to kill us. By releasing a statement like this they don't have to respond to every email that comes in. Of course, it's a Catch-22. If they didn't release the video and just ignored the emails people would claim they're trying to cover it up. By releasing the video people will claim that they're just lying and continue with their fearmongering. At least this way they can at least point to the video and say, "Hey, at least we tried. It's not our fault they don't listen."

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

"NASA is not hiding anything". Nice try. Elenin is small, but her daddy Nibiru is nearby. There was confusion at first with all the disinfo but now the picture is clear.

Have you read that 92 page report on Nibiru and Elenin? Not just look at the pictures. Elenin is apparently the farthest object in Nibiru's magnetic influence, kinda like Pluto is to our sun.

Anyway, believe what you want. Take care.

edit on 19-8-2011 by yourmamaknows because: left word out

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't think there is a single chance, not even the slightest chance that the government would tell us anything, except maybe at the last second but even that I doubt.

Quelling panic is always the excuse to lie. I am not saying elenin is a problem or not, personally I haven't looked into it one bit but just hearing that guy from NASA talk makes me sick. He is very presumptuous and I feel is being quite patronizing.

The one thing I hate about "scientist" is that many often forget that what they know as fact is merely said so because all the available knowledge points to it being fact, for that time. How many countless times in history has "fact" been found to be false. Then, only after much resistance and ridicule.

In 100 years, the "facts" of today will be laughable and any "scientist" who comes at me saying "these are the facts" comes off, to me, as being quite closed minded.

The only fact is that facts are constantly evolving with knowledge. At one point it was fact that washing your hands before surgery was pointless. I think many of these people get "facts" confused with "scientific opinion" or "scientific consensus".

They need to get off their high horse and accept the "fact" that "scientific fact" is faulty and always changing.

edit on 19-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: Then, only after much resistance and ridicule.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I agree with what this guy is saying. If you've ever taken an astronomy class, his description about comets and where they orbit is right on. We'll always have people wanting to stir up fear on this site and on the internet. With the amount of professional and amateur astronomers pointing their telescopes in the night skies, you would have more than just a few astronomers claiming that Elenin was going to cause an earth catastrophe.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am glad that NASA is at least addressing the speculative ideas point by point, and giving their perspective on the Elenin situation. Whether I believe it or not is another story. I want to believe that there is no threat, and do agree that with so many scientists looking at the sky, it would be difficult to keep such a massive story (like an asteroid collision with earth) quiet - even with a gag order or such. And I am not nearly qualified or educated enough on astronomy to say whether or not a threat is present at this time. What continues to bother me though is that many countries are investing their money in building underground bases and the storage of massive amounts of food supply. With a world in economic crisis, it seems extremely peculiar that they would invest so much money if there was no threat!
edit on 19-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: misspelling

link   

Originally posted by RichardMongler
Elenin is a COMET. A comet is 85% ice. Our atmosphere burns up anything that enters it. What ever debris is left of it probably will disintegrate. I'm not worried.

comets being ice is a theory if i remember correctly. the idea that they may be capacitors seems plausible.

btw, its several MILES in diameter. small meteors burn up, bigger ones are reduced in size before they hit, but something the size of elenin wouldn't burn up enough to help us.

link   
I think this comet is harmless, but I do believe it is very significant to a handful of people around the world who we like to call TPTB. Last time i checked they worship astronomy and astrological alignments and this is one that has too many numerology coincidences for it to be insignificant to them. I feel like they will use this comet's arrival to initiate the next ritual they've been planning, whatever that may be. I'm watching out for false flags, bizarre HAARP activity, and sneaky legislation... remember this comet isn't very important to us, but WE are not THEM (TPTB).

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes, listen to the old Nazi.

He would never lie to you.

I don't care about elenin, I care about NASA sucking since it's fascist birth.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Although I do think believers in this idea bring up some interesting points, I don't personally buy into the theory. I just wanted to comment on the saying that there are lots of amateur astronomers out there, and that we would have heard it from them, etc...Well, if they are not academics, it isn't like they are going to get the publicity to get their ideas out there, so they would post them online most likely...

And too many people will dismiss their claims, all the while saying that some amateur astronomers will let us know if this is real. Do you see the quandary there?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Am I the only one who caught him saying @5:10 "Nibiru, Elenin or any other FICTITIOUS object"...." ???

So is it real or "fictitious"??? He starts the whole interview off by acknowledging that Elenin is a tiny insignificant comet, and then says it is fictitious... unbelievable even for NASA

edit on 8/19/2011 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
Am I the only one who caught him saying @5:10 "Nibiru, Elenin or any other FICTITIOUS object"...." ???

So is it real or "fictitious"??? He starts the whole interview off by acknowledging that Elenin is a tiny insignificant comet, and then says it is fictitious... unbelievable even for NASA

edit on 8/19/2011 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

The Elenin as a Dangerous Object is fictitious.

The Elenin as your standard comet is real.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join