It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can People Please Just Stop With The AI Threads!: An Open Competition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
All,

Nice and quick thread this, but something that has been annoying more than slightly the last few days. I'm sick and tired of seeing people talking about advancements in the computing industry as if we will be seeing sentient, artificial beings walking around the planet in the next decade.

I keep repeating the same point over and over; at this point in time a computer system can only be as smart as it's programmer, not smarter.

In fact I'd even go as far to say that any AI based creation will still never be more intelligent than human beings, how could that be the case if it wasn't programmed to explore subjects beyond our comprehension?

It seem's to me that too many people on here have watched a few too many Sci-Fi movies and have no real understanding of how the fundamentals of Electronics, Operating Systems and programming logic come together in the real world.

So as a challenge for those who believe, If someone can write some code that displays completely Autonomic behaviour, that isn't pseudo-random then I'll eat my shoe, any takers?

It can't be done.

ETA: Scientist's already admit they have a no where complete understand on how the human brain truly works, so how is anyone going to create a system smarter?.......
edit on 18/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

How about computers using human brain cells?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

ETA: Scientist's already admit they have a no where complete understand on how the human brain truly works, so how is anyone going to create a system smarter?.......

By accident.......... isn't that how it always happens in the movies.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about. learning algorythms. how did you get the idea that intelligent behavior or thinking is random or pseudorandom. this is a vast paradigm, educate yourself.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue

Think you answered your own question there

This ain't no movie

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CriticalCK
clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about. learning algorythms. how did you get the idea that intelligent behavior or thinking is random or pseudorandom. this is a vast paradigm, educate yourself.

Firstly, learn how to spell

Secondly, you haven't really said anything of value or anything to disprove my point.

So once again, show me you can create autonomic behaviour via algorithms?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

While I agree AI is far off. I don't by any means believe it to be impossible to achieve. It could be 20 years from now it could be 200 years from now. The rate in which technology is progressing is remarkable.

But again I agree people should not get their hopes up that they will have robot friends anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
All,

Nice and quick thread this, but something that has been annoying more than slightly the last few days. I'm sick and tired of seeing people talking about advancements in the computing industry as if we will be seeing sentient, artificial beings walking around the planet in the next decade.

I keep repeating the same point over and over; at this point in time a computer system can only be as smart as it's programmer, not smarter.

In fact I'd even go as far to say that any AI based creation will still never be more intelligent than human beings, how could that be the case if it wasn't programmed to explore subjects beyond our comprehension?

It seem's to me that too many people on here have watched a few too many Sci-Fi movies and have no real understanding of how the fundamentals of Electronics, Operating Systems and programming logic come together in the real world.

So as a challenge for those who believe, If someone can write some code that displays completely Autonomic behaviour, that isn't pseudo-random then I'll eat my shoe, any takers?

It can't be done.

Not every one believes the earth is going to be wiped out. You say "a computer can only be as smart as its programer" and you all so say " here have watched a few too many Sci-Fi movies and have no real understanding of how the fundamentals of Electronics, Operating Systems and programming logic come together in the real world." Well i don tthink you understand. Keep in mind that the CPU in your computer can calculate numbers faster than you. If you dont understand what that means then maybe you dont understand the technology at hand. Look at how fast technology is advancing. I just read about a circuit board witch is made out of some kind of special materiel witch is no silicon. It can house a CPU with out a heatsink. Heat used to hold us back but not any more. Do you know of fiber optics? They are not just used as amusement park toys. I read a article about a company that is using fiber optics to build computers. Instead of electricity, they use light witch is the fastest source of energy we know of. a chess computer can beat world champion chess players and you say AI is impossible? If we dont fall we can only build. Build more computers like chess machines for various complicated jobs.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hi I believe that computer's can be made more intelligent than humans for one reason...

"emotion" we are hindered by our emotions we involve it in our logic there are already computers that can go beyond the human brain, they are called calculators, you can get them at a local supermarket for less than a £1/$1 they can compute far faster than any human on this earth...

As soon as "we" introduce a computer that can "learn" its superior computing power will explode.

The singularity

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue

Think you answered your own question there

This ain't no movie

Yeah but they have all ready made advancements towards (if not completed that) that by being able to control a being with a microchip implanted on the brain. I saw a video on youtube of a rat that was being controlled with a chip in his brain. I bet we are way past that, considering our govt has a endless hole of money and something like that would be of grate use to them. Most people dont realize allot of technology advancements you see in the movies will come to be reality. Either because some one is working towards that invention, the invention is all ready invented and kept away from the public until feather advancement or some one that see the technology in the movie goes out and invents it. Kind of like minority report, or irobot, or AI.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CriticalCK

Firstly, learn how to spell

Secondly, you haven't really said anything of value or anything to disprove my point.

So once again, show me you can create autonomic behaviour via algorithms?

He said educate your self.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Remember that the military always gets a 10 years headstart.

Any developed sentient software is going ot be used to monitor drones or even display realtime parabolic trajectories in a hud for even moving targets.

It is going to happen death kron. You are on a sinking ship KRON. Ive told you hundreds of times to prepare for whats coming.. and not to be afraid of the machines, be afraid of the self-destructive nature of those who lose their greatest delusions.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Though I agree with your sentiments and I hope there won't be any AI in the future, my opinion is that the first true AI system that will surpass human intelligence will not be made by humans but by other machines/software.

Humans don't have the ability to evolve AI. It's the same as AI would never be able to make humans evolve.

Offtopic: Isn't this a rant?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
He said educate your self.

I'm sure he can speak for himself

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Of course I know about fibre optics
I work in the IT/telecom industry, yes computers are able to process information at a far greater speed than we are... but they can't associate compassion, emotional intelligence, common sense etc to those data streams.

Well they can, in accordance to their programming - hence my original point...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I'm making the same point again here, but speed doesn't equate intelligence... An old tennis player can beat a young buck through experience, computers cannot learn emotion nor can they learn fear etc etc

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Yeah but GM, your missing the point here as well. You would have to program a computer to be intelligent enough to create another computer, which is something that already happens on a daily basis i.e. car manufacturing for one example.

These machines aren't creating anything superior because they don't know how! We haven't programmed/gave them that ability, a program will always only be as smart as it's creator.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
And for those that disagree, I'm still looking for a sample of code that can think for itself, put it in any high level language you want, I'll even compile and test it myself. Prove to me that it's possible to create a truly self thinking set of code instructions ....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Might want to check out:

IBM develop 'human brain' computer chip

I see you already have. Probably the reason for this thread. Oh well.
edit on 18-8-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

"(...) There is not the slightest reason to believe in a coming singularity. The fact that you can visualize a future in your imagination is not evidence that it is likely or even possible. Look at domed cities, jet-pack commuting, underwater cities, mile-high buildings, and nuclear-powered automobiles — all staples of futuristic fantasies when I was a child that have never arrived. Sheer processing power is not a pixie dust that magically solves all your problems. (...)"

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join