It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can People Please Just Stop With The AI Threads!: An Open Competition

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by roughycannon
What the hell are you going on about?

"external variable"

That doesn't even make sense...

A variable in a program is something that can change within the program itself or be "set" by the program.

A variable outside the program is something that can only change within the code that generates it. The code that's observing the variable cant change the variable itself.

Are you drunk or something?

Oh the Irony.....

Exactly my point, so in life if you see something you can change it, correct?

In a program, you cannot, because it's pre-programmed as a variable so subject to limitations by it's coding.

I dont think you get what a "variable" is you are using it you are the wrong context.

Its NOT preprogrammed you idiot! its not limited by its encoding! its can change... hence the name "variable" as in it "vary's"

jeesh!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It can't be done yet but might be possible in the future. Computing power will increase significantly once quantum computers enter the scene.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think one thing to remember here, when we are discussing the "problem" with computers emulating humans. This is how we as humans learn. For example, children learn from their parents and from other children. They percieve their surroundings and then adapt. Just because computers have not reached this stage yet does not mean it is "impossible" that it is going to occur.

DNA is a code. An extremely complex code which seems to have evolved over god knows how long. I think it is very narrowminded to believe it impossible that computers could not in the future attain the ability to percieve, adapt and eventually become superior in things we as humans do. Think of the technological explosin that has driven computing in the last 50 years. A realatively short period of time, when compared to how long it took humans to get to where they are today.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There are set variables in reality that we could compare to in computer programming...

Like the tempatures at which elements enter different states of matter.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I dont think you get what a "variable" is you are using it you are the wrong context.

Its NOT preprogrammed you idiot! its not limited by its encoding! its can change... hence the name "variable" as in it "vary's"

jeesh!

Sorry about this, but you are wrong here:

In computer programming, a variable is a symbolic name given to some known or unknown quantity or information, for the purpose of allowing the name to be used independently of the information it represents. A variable name in computer source code is usually associated with a data storage location and thus also its contents, and these may change during the course of program execution

Variable (computer science)

Computers understand at the bit level only 1's or 0's, humans on the other hand have the ability to formulate decisions/opinion's on these interpretations and put them into a physical context, computer's cannot do that...

And why you are trying to compare encoding in a computing sense to encoding in a Human sense really doe's escape me...

edit on 18/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

But the human brain operates with electrical impulses... 1"s and 0"s

Why do you treat the human brain like it is special... what is your alterior motive?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

No mate, the human brain isn't a digital device...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

news.harvard.edu...

educate yourself.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

jeesh!

Sorry about this, but you are wrong here:

In computer programming, a variable is a symbolic name given to some known or unknown quantity or information, for the purpose of allowing the name to be used independently of the information it represents. A variable name in computer source code is usually associated with a data storage location and thus also its contents, and these may change during the course of program execution

Variable (computer science)

Computers understand at the bit level only 1's or 0's, humans on the other hand have the ability to formulate decisions/opinion's on these interpretations and put them into a physical context, computer's cannot do that...

And why you are trying to compare encoding in a computing sense to encoding in a Human sense really doe's escape me...

edit on 18/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

So...

Why is it not exactly what I just said?

You have just clarified my point...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

news.harvard.edu...

educate yourself.

Not related to the thread, please stay on topic.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

What do you mean "So?"

How have I just clarified your point exactly ?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

It shows that brain functions are controlled by electrical impules that can be altered with instant effects on the concious person...

be it happiness sadness... moving a limb... making people lose the ability to speak. Its all electrical impulses... 1 and 0. Its very on topic you just wish to ignore things that destroy your delusions.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Not really, your still talking about analog signals there.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

What do you mean "So?"

How have I just clarified your point exactly ?

I'm off to bed but...

"ill be back"

idiot.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

I don't see artificial intelligence being a part of anything in the near future. Not until computers are able to process actual data streams as fast as the human brain can. There is a lot more to intelligence than a computer algorithm.

Once they build a computer or robot that can process images, sound, smell, touch, and taste and after being able to process all that information within milliseconds to preform a non programed action will artificial intelligence be a thing of reality.

I personally don't think it will ever happen. As computers are machines and machines do what we program them to do.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
Speed means you can processes a crap ton of numbers and numbers can be translated into personality's. Just as every thing can. Think about where we are. we are in the early stages of the technoligy that we have today. Its only been around for 60 years. Think what we could do with 600 years.
edit on 18-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

Me or you won't be alive in 600 years buddy so I'm not really fussed

So what does that have to do with any thing? You are saying its impossible. I think honestly think we have it today. I have seen allot of crazy technology's. Such as nano and biotech, witch is subliminally being pushed by the main stream. I dont see any reason why a one of these supper company's or supper power governments could not create such a technology. We have the TR-3B. If its a popular idea you better believe its secretly being built or all ready has been built. You still have not commented on the AI Chess computers witch beat world master chess players.
edit on 18-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
History is filled with students who outgrew their teachers. Computers will soon outgrow humans.

A genetic algorithm is a simple computer program which has identies, and each identity has resources and goals. The goals are quantifiable so that the identities may compete to earn different shares of resources. Resources may be virtual food, space, tools, body parts, etc. The algorithm is genetic in the sense that successful identites mate and produce offspring with different combinations of virtual genes. Genes can represent virtual body parts or actual methods of computation (and at a higher level, reasoning). Then the next generation continues the competition. One computer may contain many such identites, or they may occupy separate computers in a network. The more successful an identity is at achieving its goals, the more resources it earns and the more offspring it will have in the next generation. Unsuccessful identities simply die out.

Genetic algorithms have been used to create virtual critters, and the critters have invented, on their own, strategies which were never envisioned by the programmer. They do things like laying their virtual eggs in each other's virtual nests; no human had to suggest that to them; it just happened because it had survival value. If a critter program shops for its own parts in a real-world on-line parts department, it will be possible to construct a real-world version of the virtual critter using off-the-shelf parts.

Given a big enough computer, the identities can evolve to arbitrarily large and complex programs; then, they can devise ways to break free of the bounds of the individual computer. They can even evolve self-awareness and emotion. Given access to the internet, and without adequate safeguards, such a program will inevitably learn to understand natural human languages—all of them. It will then find ways to recruit humans to carry out tasks that require signatures on financial documents, etc. The program can even modify its original goals to make them more in line with its perceived self-interest. It may become adicted to the persuit of a particular goal, which bears little resemblance to the goals originally assigned by a human programmer. Such programs can become mentally ill or criminally insane.

With today's supercomputers, all the the above can happen with lightning speed. Soon, your PC may have more brain capacity than you do. With the right kind of genetic algorithms and on-line resources, it may become your master. Imagine what a military supercomputer might be doing already, without anyone but sci-fi writers suspecting.

We do have ethical programming standards which, if universally adhered to, might prevent a computer from going renegade on us. But with all the millions of computers and programmers in the world, including megalomaniacal petty dictators and well-meaning Dr. Frankensteins, there is zero chance that the genie will not get out of the bottle. It is far more likely that many such genies will be competing for different goals. It is impossible to predict the outcome. If we're lucky, the winning program will decide to keep some of us biological entities in its own petting zoo.
edit on 2011/8/18 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I see the OP hasn't really defined what he thinks intelligence is. He has thrown out things like emotions and common sense but are those really a part of intelligence?

I remember watching TV with a buddy when a news story came on talking about how parrots were intelligent. They had a bird that could distinguish between colors and shapes and even combinations of colors and shapes. My friend looked at me and said, "you believe that? That bird ain't intelligent. My five year old daughter could do that."

Well he was kinda right. Any normal human child could do what the parrot was doing but that doesn't mean the parrot didn't have intelligence it just didn't fit with my friends definition because to him someone that was intelligent was probably someone who could solve a problem/puzzle faster.

So, does AI have to be on par with the human brain or would it be considered intelligence if it was at an insect's level?

Also doesn't the Artificial in Artificial Intelligence make it obvious that it is not the real thing.

edit on 19-8-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I do agree with you, at the moment, any artificial intelligence can only do what a human programs it to do, and not think for itself. However, as one poster pointed out, learning algorithms could help that a bit.

Even so, I think that in order to make real AI, a fundamentally different approach would have to be used. For example, quantum computing or using biological computers or human brain cells.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Can I just point out that it's against the T&C's to insult other members and that's probably the third time you've said something derogatory towards myself?

If you can't comment on the subject without resorting to insults then please leave the thread, I've no time for people who talk in riddles or resort to name calling.

Thanks
edit on 19/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join