It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron pledges non-military 'national service' for 16-year-olds across the country and vows to ov

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Heck with that. Teach em to shoot a gun and land a parashoot and dump em out over Afganistan. If you make it to point X you get to stay a citizen in the Armed Forces,

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think it's time to leave the country.

When subjugation of the populace takes precedence over human rights you know something is very wrong, in this case a fascist police state is just around the corner (or already here). Have we learned nothing from the past?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I personally think if there is any community projects that need doing they could work on that as it cuts the cost of labour, helps the community and might even give them a chance to put something decent on their CV.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I think that Cameron and Blair before him are 'knee jerk' politicians - asking" what do Daily Mail readers want to see happen today?" and glibly spew out some appropriate response.
Most of our politicians know that they are in power for the short term and can promise anything they like.

I am heartily sick of the hype surrounding a couple of nights worth of social unrest and even more sick of the 'hang em all' brigade. Yes there was looting and yes the law needs to take its due course, but all of the braying for blood has me totally ashamed of how easily led the public can be.

The youth of our country has been insidiously demonised for years ( 'hoodies' anyone?) regardless of how good most of our kids are, kids who are unpaid carers, kids who regularly do volunteer work, kids with a social conscience, kids who are much more accepting and less bigotted than in previous generations. Who speaks for them?

We have an underclass that has been created by successive governments, experiencing not only monetary but social and moral poverty not seen in this country in years.
Meanwhile we have sleep-walked into a society with next to no personal freedom anymore, led by career politicians with no experience of working outside of politics who not so long ago were caught with their collective hands in the till fiddling expences.Talk about leading by example!

One question - will Camerons ( insert politician of your choice ) children be attending this non- military training or is it just for poor kids?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

But whatever plan is developed, it will be a joint effort of the mayor and the City Council, James said after consultation with school officials, police and the juvenile court, among others. And James promised that the plan will be in place before next weekend.

It may or may not include an early curfew, as some are calling for.

“We can’t expect that imposing a curfew is going to stop some 15-, 16-, 17-year-old from bringing a gun to anywhere,” he said at an afternoon City Hall news conference. “On the other hand, we should be able to expect parents not to have their 13-year-old children on the Plaza getting shot.”

Read more: www.kansascity.com...=omni_popular#ixzz1V8rb9Lnz

I do think it's scary....I have known kids whose cousins were shot dead, who were shot AT and horribly injured and maimed, others who reported their parents for drug abuse (as young as 12, and had an elaborate plan in place for removing a younger sibling from the location)...

and yet, there is now a big to-do about if teachers should have 'facebook friends' that are their students....IMHO, when a kid has a troubled home life, they are very open to outside help. Even the most hardened former gang members (having become parents) will seek help....if they know it is safe.

What is going on that our kids are being forbidden to contact adults who are capable of taking action?

edit on 15-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

this is one of those rare situations where i'm actually disappointed to be able to say...

I told you so...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Personally, I think they SHOULD be angry, and they SHOULD do something about the status quo.

Ok, so I have seen two differnt thought patterns about these riots one is that it was a revolution or something of the sort and they others is it was just a riot, criminal activity.

So, say the governemnt looks at it from the first point of veiw well the government squashed the rioters revolution and some comunity service is a preety weak idea to stop another revolution.

Or, the second point of veiw they are just criminals and comunity service has the possiblity to help those people out.

The way its stated makes it sound as if this is to be proactive not the punishment for what has already happend.

So what if you think they should do something about the status quo that is irrelavent. When you do something wrong and don't win expect more pain. Its really that simple.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
And how is he going to pay for all this BS.

More taxes ?

Just more of the same rhetoric of failure.

Cosmic...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironorchid

I think that Cameron and Blair before him are 'knee jerk' politicians - asking" what do Daily Mail readers want to see happen today?" and glibly spew out some appropriate response.
Most of our politicians know that they are in power for the short term and can promise anything they like.

I am heartily sick of the hype surrounding a couple of nights worth of social unrest and even more sick of the 'hang em all' brigade. Yes there was looting and yes the law needs to take its due course, but all of the braying for blood has me totally ashamed of how easily led the public can be.

The youth of our country has been insidiously demonised for years ( 'hoodies' anyone?) regardless of how good most of our kids are, kids who are unpaid carers, kids who regularly do volunteer work, kids with a social conscience, kids who are much more accepting and less bigotted than in previous generations. Who speaks for them?

We have an underclass that has been created by successive governments, experiencing not only monetary but social and moral poverty not seen in this country in years.
Meanwhile we have sleep-walked into a society with next to no personal freedom anymore, led by career politicians with no experience of working outside of politics who not so long ago were caught with their collective hands in the till fiddling expences.Talk about leading by example!

One question - will Camerons ( insert politician of your choice ) children be attending this non- military training or is it just for poor kids?

Totally agree with your thinking on this. David Cameron has sat back and watched his own country momentarily destroy itself, only for him to show up on the final hour to crack down on all of the little ambitious policies that he had tucked up his sleeves when he came into office. He's nothing more than a jumped up 'ex salesman' that thinks he can solve this countries problems by banging on about cracking down on the 'vermin' as they like to call it of this country. The failed youth culture hasn't been an overnight thing, it's been let down for years, to fester and fester until, BANG, society has had enough. My dad has been talking of National Service for years seeing the steady decline of our youngsters, the 'chav' culture rising up. It's a bit too late in the day to be warranting that now. The damage is already done. The kids in this country right now don't see a future. Bloody politicians and MP's lining their own pockets to feed their greed and slothenly needs. Kids at 16 getting 6 months for grabbing an opportunity and helping themselves to a t-shirt. And then MP's getting a measly 3 months whatever for stealing thousands of pounds from the taxpayer. Our council has cut over 800 council workers jobs, and do you know what they're now doing here? Picking prisoners up in vans from the local prison in the morning and sending them out doing jobs that they shouldn't even be 'entitled' to do! Litter picking, gardening, painting and decorating. You couldn't make it up.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's a welfare program disguised as National Service. This way, the kids are off the streets, getting paid and giving back to society. Yes, this is definitely bad for society. I'd rather throw money at people for doing nothing! Better yet, I'd rather keep my money in a "lock box" under my bed and let the rabble grow angry. Eventually they'll riot and we can throw them in jail. Again, spending tax money on people sitting around doing nothing.

When did National Service become a sin? Maybe that's the problem.

Get the kids off of the streets, give them a job helping others, pay them and let them stimulate the economy by buying things with the money they've earned.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

education education education is the answer.
we dont need more laws or restrictions on our youth, what they need to learn about is morals and respect for other people. i live in the uk and i know that if you was to stop a teenager they would probably be bored and looking for excitement hence the drugs and violence epidemic in our country or so we are led to believe.
we have an angry youth uprising because politics has failed year after year making it hard for youngsters to go to university by raising university fees. jobs are going fast as in the US so we are going down the pan thanks to corperate bankers and business's.
its about time we all stood up and tell these politicians that enough is enough, we want the power back!!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That's pretty fascist of Cameron.

He's trying to instate martial law.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Above all, these kids need a future.

The kids in the US need a future....it's looking pretty bleak for them right now. As each year passes, more and more will find themselves out of school/college with no chance of getting a job. Especially for those in college, they will have racked up 10's of thousands in debt and won't be able to pay it off working at Mickey D's.

It is the young who usually brings about social change....and if things don't change soon, it's going to happen here. They are being left behind.

And this is happening at the same time that cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are all on the table. Cuts to programs like Wics, Food stamps, head start, etc. are all on the blocks.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

What these kids need today is a good old-fashioned butt-kicking by their parents. We don't need to send an entire bloody generation to boot-camp, especially when many of them are still in school or going to college to try to become good citizens. What you're advocating is military school for everybody for no discernible reason other than that you've apparently labeled all teenagers collectively as juvenile delinquents.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
To me it is sickening how they indoctrinate the reader in this article. From what I understand, Cameron vows for the implementation of a new Hitlerjugend in the UK and the removal of some civilian rights.

Just in case you as a reader are a bit worried, the article subliminally reassures your brain by mentioning the critics: not everyone blindly swallows this folks! THERE ARE CRITICS! But what do they actually worry about?

Critics ask where the money will come from

What. The. F%$K?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
Ok, we get you guys don't like the idea. I understand parents should be responsible, I understand military service is potentially not good for pacifists etc etc.

What the hell do you suggest as an alternative?

I wish I had had National Service. 90% of these people will benefit from the discipline and camaraderie it engenders.

Norway has it, finland has it, Italy still? Sweden? The scandies don't kick up and disrespect people. It works well for them why not lets suck it and see? BTW non military national service is mostly a waste of time. Send all the little adults away for 6 months to bond and be conditioned into what is right and what is wrong. Need evidence of its ability to work, google lads army the tv documentary.

Wake up!

WHAT has Cameron done about the LOOTING BY THE BANKSTERS?

You've been had - played like a fiddle by the government propaganda to reduce our liberties whilst protecting those of the biggest looting and plunder EVER of the wealth of the UK people by the MAFIA BANKSTERS.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
So if we put all the 16 year olds in a non military national service for, lets say 2 years.... what happens when they leave?
There will still be no prospects for them as they have missed out on a possible 2 years worth of education, wether it be college/university or whatever.
These scumbages have been complaining that there is no work for them.
Simple solution. Stop being d*cks and start at least trying to learn something in school!!!
You will never get a decent job unless you educate yourself.
Giving teenagers a 2 year break doing outdoor activities will not give them any sort of real world training that they need. It might actually teach them to respect each other a little bit more, but the chances are it will be like the current prison situation. They will come out of it with more criminal knowledge than they went in with.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Oh great...Now more of them will kick off just to get a free holiday canoeing.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Agree! Its a liberty reducing gimic. What will they do with the Banksters, how do they get brought in line/disciplined because they have done far more damage to society and are one of the dozen causes of the initial riots. ............I see more protests following before long!!!

F..k the UK Gov!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I've starred more people on this one thread than I have ever starred a thread before.

Brillian Max Keizer, absolutely on the ball with his hitting the politicians criminality and trough feeding tactis and then their sheer hypocracy to criticize the so-called lower classes antics. I still find 6 months for a bottle of water disgusting when one looks at the expenses still being claimed by our politicians and their £billion parliamentary credit card costs. Everyone sees thesde double standards and also the bankers who have ripped off this country to the point of every one of us suffering financial loss at their hands, yet cameron protects them.

You know the minute cameron uses the word 'voluntary' he's sucking up and nothing else, there is no substance in it. He's advertising his claim but that's about all you'll see. He hasn'g got the money to provide the changes necessary. were he to do so, we would all wonder why he had cut into public spending so much yet had spare cash lying around.

Do we want to punish some of these little 'gang' thugs with some form of military service. How many of those kids with the attitude of ' Me, I'm hard, man!' do you want to give guns to and train them in ways that will simply give them more street cred once they raise their mugs again?

Once these kids are booked for crimes such as arson and looting or violence, much of the opportunity the future has for them has gone. A CAB check and whose going to employ them? many employers wouldn't be allowed.

I feel cameron because of his social and royal connections , wealth and education is part of the problem here. We have people from the top eschalons only today really able to get into parliament's top bench. Hardly any of them have not had private education and priviledged upbringings. Did anyone see the £1200 tail coat for Cameron to wear to the Bullington booze club , old Boris was there too. The result of this is we have an elite that has no empathy or understanding of the rest of the country yet, they are supposed to govern us. This is government by the blind and we need a much fairer selection of MP's from differing backgrounds to govern this country, not a band of oout of touch toffs.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join