It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron pledges non-military 'national service' for 16-year-olds across the country and vows to ov

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Cameron pledges non-military 'national service' for 16-year-olds across the country and vows to overhaul human rights laws which have had a 'chilling effect' on society

www.dailyma il.co.uk

Cameron wants to abolish 'twisted' human rights laws to set up 'British Bill of Rights'
Rioters could lose their benefits, says Iain Duncan Smith
120,000 most troubled families will be targeted in broken society crackdown

National Citizen Scheme offers teenagers chance to abseil and canoe

War declared on gangs who have made people's lives 'hell'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/e xnews](visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

In his social fightback speech the Prime Minister announced he wanted to roll out the voluntary National Citizen Service scheme - currently undertaken by just a few thousand volunteers a year - as part of the government's effort to 'reclaim the country's streets'.
He also pledged to tackle human rights laws which have been so 'twisted and misrepresented' that they have had a 'chilling effect' on society by creating a 'British Bill of Rights'.
...'They work in their communities, whether that’s coaching children to play football, visiting old people at the hospital or offering a bike repair service to the community.'
He insisted it would instill 'old-fashioned' values of duty and decency which would help to solve the problem of 'angry young people'.
Already thousands of teenagers are taking part this year and Mr Cameron announced 30,000 should be involved in the project next year.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk.../

Okay, ATS, I have been reading the forums lately rather than contributing....and giving stars and flags where I felt it worthy....
and today I ventured into other news sites, and came upon this.

What do you think?
Should kids be forced to go into a 'pseudo-military' situation to help them reduce their anger and to appreciate contributing to society?

Or should they be allowed to develop their own sense of right and wrong?

It troubles me greatly that the youth of our world -- in every country -- are subjected to the imposed "morals" of their governments. I, as a parent, did the best I could to encourage my two children to "think outside the box", to "question authority", and to "stay in the system, learn the system, and then change the system."

(If this story has already been posted, that's cool. Search did not turn it up.....please close and point me to the discussion -- but this really, really worries me. In several ways.)

WT

www.dailyma il.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. I've wished for something similar in the US for a long time. Estonia does it and it seems to work out well. It's not like the kids will be deployed to a war situation.

Look at the way people are acting toward one another today- no respect for themselves or others- no social skills at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There is a thin line between rioters and protesters as far as governments are concerned.
Put on your brown shirt for your government. Snitch Snitch Snitch your way to power kids.
Reminds me of Hitler youth.
edit on 15-8-2011 by AnimositisominA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If you get to 16 years old and don't yet realise looting a shop or beating an old man to death is wrong then I doubt a stint in the 'Cameron Youth' will do it. I'm not sure what the answer is but I doubt its this.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Reminds me of The Hitler Youth....

FOURTEEN SIGNPOSTS TO SLAVERY

1. Restrictions on taking money out of the country and on the establishment or retention of a foreign bank account by an American citizen.

2. Abolition of private ownership of hand guns.

3. Detention of individuals without judicial process.

4. Requirements that private financial transactions be keyed to social security numbers or other government identification so that government records of these transactions can be kept and fed into a computer.

5. Use of compulsory education laws to forbid attendance at presently existing private schools.

6. Compulsory non-military service.

7. Compulsory psychological treatment for non-government workers or public school children.

8. An official declaration that anti-Communist organizations are subversive and subsequent legal action taken to suppress them.

9. Laws limiting the number of people allowed to meet in a private home.

10. Any significant change in passport regulations to make passports more difficult to obtain or use.

11. Wage and price controls, especially in a non-wartime situation

12. Any kind of compulsory registration with the government of where individuals work.

13. Any attempt to restrict freedom of movement within Continental
hidhist.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I am not a UK citizen, so I don't really know about the "human rights" laws to which he's referring -- but in the news lately (on several different sites, not just MSM), I see that youth are angry. Personally, I think they SHOULD be angry, and they SHOULD do something about the status quo.

Is this scheme the same as in the US when they sentence a kid to 'community service'? Yeah, it's a good thing for kids to be expected to contribute to 'community service', it gives their still-developing frontal lobes a perspective that is important for empathy and compassion. All for that....

Yet, in the Western world, there is a disparity between "government madates" and "family rights." It is going to become acceptable for govt to step in to families? I find this a highly charged topic. I do not have an opinion either way at this point.....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Cameron has once again proved himself to be weak in the face of criminal activity. Do you think some weak “non-military national service” is going to change anyone who is involved in gang activity? Not a chance. What these kids today, all of them from the posh kids down to the poorest immigrant children, should service a minimum 1 year mandatory basic military training involving strict enforcement of property etiquette, ethics, and manners. They should also be taught strength, courage, and friendship which come from relying on one another.

The program should be implemented beginning January 1, 2012 for all people ages 16-19. If parents are so terrible that they cannot teach their own children how to behave like good adults and the kids begin terrorizing society then yes, I think it is time for the state to step in and cleanup where the so-called ‘parents’ have failed.

Nevertheless, Cameron is on the right track he just needs to be bolder.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
If you get to 16 years old and don't yet realise looting a shop or beating an old man to death is wrong then I doubt a stint in the 'Cameron Youth' will do it. I'm not sure what the answer is but I doubt its this.

I havn't given it much thought, but maybe holding parents responsible for their children's actions could put a dent in it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
I am not a UK citizen, so I don't really know about the "human rights" laws to which he's referring --

I believe he means this

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
We are starting to learn that Cameron says a lot of things to get headlines , and the reality is often different to the original statement , don't forget he used to be in advertising .
The question for this latest initiative would have to be where's the money coming from

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Cameron has once again proved himself to be weak in the face of criminal activity. Do you think some weak “non-military national service” is going to change anyone who is involved in gang activity? Not a chance. What these kids today, all of them from the posh kids down to the poorest immigrant children, should service a minimum 1 year mandatory basic military training involving strict enforcement of property etiquette, ethics, and manners. They should also be taught strength, courage, and friendship which come from relying on one another.

The program should be implemented beginning January 1, 2012 for all people ages 16-19. If parents are so terrible that they cannot teach their own children how to behave like good adults and the kids begin terrorizing society then yes, I think it is time for the state to step in and cleanup where the so-called ‘parents’ have failed.

I think that maybe using that money to start a musicians society for children would be great. Apply to their interest, and they will take it and run. Inspiring creativity and teamwork to stimulate their minds.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Rofl. What Cameron is telling you is he's opening up Camp FEMA in your nation and sugar coating it under teaching youngsters decency, what teenagers do you think he is targetting? Why the non-white communities ofcourse. Families who are dysfunctional and too chaotic for "normal" society. Mandatory camp FEMA genocide. You all in europe ever heard this old Joke? "How can you tell when a politician is lying? When he is speaking!". It doesnt matter what country you come from the word Politician=Liar, its a universal word.

Better have him write in a Right to bear arms in that Bill of Rights, but somehow i dont see THAT hapenning, bloody jackals are trying to have it removed world wide.
edit on 15-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Im Canadian but I'll tell you this. DARTH VADER will NOT BE RECRUITING ME OR MY CHILDREN INTO MILITARY SERVICES. I AM FREE AND STAND UNDER NO ONE! I REPEAT, I AM FREE AND STAND UNDER NO ONE!

Your opinions have no right to be put into a law over my head and take away my free will and opinions. You Don't Rule Me.

You can do that to yourself, but not to me.

WAR IS EVIL. SOLDIERS ARE TRAINED TO COMMIT EVIL. Its a ticket to hell for many people except the few who don't follow bad orders and get in trouble themselves.

NO OWNS ME OR MY KIDS. WE HAVE INFINITE INALIEABLE RIGHTS.

YES I'M SHOUTING TO YOU AND TO ANYONE READING THIS FROM THEIR ILLEGAL FASICIST LEADERSHIP!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I was in cadets (lower rank military I deem it as) and it never did me any hard. I learn't how to service and disarm weapons in a whole range of situations. Team-leadership, rope skills, orientation & navigational skills, Drill, and many other examples I have likely forgotten due to it being 14years now since I left. I think a young person can be enroled in services such as the cadets without them becoming entrapped in the armed forces role, as the option to leave is always there. But then so is the priviledges they get that comes along with it.
I personally left due to age, education requirements and insurance cover I was unable to assertain. But to the majority of youth in the UK this is no excuse, and they'll find once they lose the 'hip hop' attitude its something that sticks with them for life.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Wow, yeah, thanks for the link.

Guys and gals, I normally sit in for the comments and discussion, but a few weeks ago I suffered a spinal cord injury that has me rather laid up.....
I hope to see more of your thoughts and comments regarding this.

As a POV from the "west" side of the pond, recently in my city there was a fracass on The Plaza (which is our upscalest-shopping district in the Metro area), where three teens were shot ... and the mayor now wants to make a curfew of 9pm.

Plaza mayhem prompts call for change

www.kansascity.com...=omni_popular

As a social worker who has worked with inner city youth for several years, I also don't know whether I agree with this or not. It does seem to me that 'parental guidance' is no longer sufficient for teaching kids how to behave socially -- yet, at the same time, I wonder if government interference is warranted or appropriate...I have to wonder if the apathy and/or disconnection of the parents has the biggest effect on these kids. Yes, they need guidance. Yes, they need to be taught empathy and compassion and respect for the rights of others. It has to begin when they are -- not 16 -- but before they are even school-age!

This will no doubt bring many flames and hate-posts my way, but I am beginning to believe that one should have a diploma or a certificate from a 'parenting' class before being allowed to have a child!

sigh.
Okay, i'll check back later, team.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You had me laughing. Glad to finally read a post that actually gives me a good laugh.

You just need to quit being so paranoid.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Now stop and think about what you just said. Do you REALLY want to teach members of gangs military tactics and strategies and discipline? After that year is up they will go right back to their gangs, and take all that military training they got for free and use it kick your heads in. I know because we have that problem right now in the U.S., young people get in military learn how to shoot guns, how to maintain firearms, how to AIM those firearms effectively, they learn all forms of combat from hand to hand, to urban warfare and then they get drummed out of the military because they can't leave thier gangs behind, and all that federally funded military training goes to hurting innocent civilians.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
did they try this before?
how do they MAKE them do this?
it will fail and be a waste of money.

they need to teach them at SCHOOL!
but they fail at that to.
the kids tell the teacher to F off.
and hit them. if the teacher hits back.
its chilled abuse.
give teacher more power.
let them smack them.
and make them stay 2 hours after school.
make them work.
and have special school police to bring them back.
like the police have, that are un’paid.
and half the class size from 36 to 18.
edit on 15-8-2011 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ok, we get you guys don't like the idea. I understand parents should be responsible, I understand military service is potentially not good for pacifists etc etc.

What the hell do you suggest as an alternative?

I wish I had had National Service. 90% of these people will benefit from the discipline and camaraderie it engenders.

Norway has it, finland has it, Italy still? Sweden? The scandies don't kick up and disrespect people. It works well for them why not lets suck it and see? BTW non military national service is mostly a waste of time. Send all the little adults away for 6 months to bond and be conditioned into what is right and what is wrong. Need evidence of its ability to work, google lads army the tv documentary.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join