It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Drug Could Cure Nearly Any Viral Infection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
WOW this is incredible! Realy promising. This is instant Nobel Prize, unless Rossi's cold fusion claim is true

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bc61e8b4a88.jpg[/atsimg]

Researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Lab have developed technology that may someday cure the common cold, influenza and other ailments.

Most bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, discovered decades ago. However, such drugs are useless against viral infections, including influenza, the common cold, and deadly hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola.

Now, in a development that could transform how viral infections are treated, a team of researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Laboratory has designed a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection.

“In theory, it should work against all viruses,” said Todd Rider, a senior staff scientist at MIT’s Lincoln Laboratory who invented the new technology.

A handful of drugs can target specific viruses by interfering with their replication process, through addition of modified DNA building blocks or the blocking of enzymes the viruses need to stimulate the replication process. But viruses are wily bugs, and they can evolve to resist these treatments.

MITNEWS

In the other hand, what could possibly go wrong?

With a drug that wipes out so much, I suspect that finding out all the thing that could go wrong will take a lot of time, money and complicated research. Ok, lets say this works ane we eradicate viral infections almost completely. How would this affect our immune systems in the long run, lets say 500 years?

Another question is: It would be allowed by the big pharma? Because of the huge money they make "curing" and "developing" "better" drugs to sell for sick people? You know it's a big deal that involves a lot of money.

Still, this is fantastic news. Let's hope this works.

And you, what do you think? Could it be a universal cure? In a world where greed is always lurking every good idea, would be possible such thing?

edit on 11-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If it really works we will never really see it.

They would lose their precious money.

OR it will be available but at rates the average person couldn't afford then you would just fight with insurance for it.

I really dont trust the doctor when I go anymore that what they are giving me really helps..Most of the time it does nothing really.

Cool if it works and is available for an affordable price but things that work always get stopped by someone else.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes, I agree wit you, sad thing. Maybe if you earn a billion U.S. dollars, you can join their club and enjoy it too.

Any ideas?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It will be gone in Five, Four Three, Two, One. Big Pharma as usual will make sure this drug wouldn't go public.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Great find OP! S&F!
While I hope this & other 'cures', go ahead & are available for all, I'm afraid that I agree with 'starwarsisreal', in that the BigPharmaBa**ards will make sure it doesn't.

I am soooo fed up of seeing these corrupted a**holes playing God. Who the hell gives them that power, & more to the point, what the hell can we do to take the power back???

The tireless & genius work of so many good people is for naught because of these scum. Not to mention the masses that would benefit from these cures.
Is it even possible that there's incorruptible people with the knowledge & courage can take them on??

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Don't you find this interesting?

Don't this remind you on something from the tv show "The X files"?

We don't need this universal drug.

This is just something really bad.

Don't take this drug.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

I really dont know what you're talking about. Maybe I missed this episode
. Please some clarification would be welcome.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Then after a year of the drug being used on everything, the viruses become resistant to it.

Do what Norway does, rarely perscribe antibiotics, they have the lowest rates of MSRA in hospitals, because they don't overperscribe antibiotics.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Maybe you are right.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jewells

I understand your anger, but the world continues as it always was, a place where few have taken advantage of many. It was ever thus, and frankly do not see how this may change in future. I'm really tired of thinking positively about it.

But, who knows, maybe someday things change.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

This is good news. A cure for the common cold? Bravo. It is still in it's formative stage. I know it is touted as a potential cure for all viral infections. But there is a multibillion dollar pharmaceutical industry watching this with greedy eyes that is all about profit. They actually educate, train and direct doctors to treat instead of cure ailments. There is no money in a cure. Bottom Line. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it seems that money is more important than wellbeing to those that make the rules.
Science- for the sake of science would benefit all of us greatly if information was shared wholly on the internet and other mediums, free for all, without individuals hoping to get rich off of their breakthroughs, but I suppose then they would lose their funding.
For example, just look at Jonas Salk.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Did you notice how is this drug named?
Draco.

What are they thinking?
That we are so stupid?

They're wrong.
Hope we'll never use this drug.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
It will be gone in Five, Four Three, Two, One. Big Pharma as usual will make sure this drug wouldn't go public.

What, like they did with antibiotics? Oh wait, they didn't .

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
This is instant Nobel Prize, unless Rossi's cold fusion claim is true

I think this trumps the cold fusion.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

Are you kidding?

This is the type of product they would love to have. It's patentable, only produced by biological reactors (e.g. those used by Amgen and Genentech) and there is no competition.

They would charge a metric buttload. Nobody will use to cure the cold since it would be very expensive (thousands of dollars per dose), and injectable only.

They'll use it for people who have very dangerous viral diseases and other complications.

It is certain that a LLC has already been formed by the professors & MIT, venture capitalists have been called and a development plan engaged.

edit on 13-8-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Not trying to be pessimistic, but anything that can cure any viral infection can destroy our own immune system cant it?

Reminds me of 'I am Legend" a bit lol, if works excellent, but whats the long terms effects? My understanding is that Viral Strains evolve...

What if it Evolves to the point were our Immune System can't fight back?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate, but I worry somthing that powerful can swing around and kill us.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Interesting.

We can only hope they succed, and dont withhold the technology for to long after its done.

I say this because I'm convinced theres more than a few pharmaceutical companies who withhold newest inventions, untill they cant milk their old cows any longer.One of the resons i believe this is that theres more money in treatments compared to cures. The medical treatment in your post, seams to be a "uni"vacine/treatment and not a permanent cure, which makes it more likely it will reach us within our lifespan.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

I agree, as somebody with HIV if that drug terminated every infected cell I would die.
In fact I'd melt or disappear in a flash.
But that's also a "Draconian" way of "curing" me, I suppose.
Reminds me a bit of the Virodene quacks we had here in SA, which was celebrated as a cure for HIV, but turned out to be an industrial solvent.
What a hoax!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I forsee a problem...

Our human bodies create anti-bodies to supress any viral attacks in the body.
Rhino-virus, all forms of the Herpes virus (including the chickenpox form), etc...
That is how it prevents or eases when the virus replicates in the body from a trigger.
That's also how vaccines for certain viruses are made.
A weakened form of the virus is introduced, in order to get the body to create specific anti-bodies.

So if the body was rid of these viruses and it didn't make or need anti-bodies...?
What would happen when the body was exposed to the virus again?

It's not like you can't catch one of the hundreds of strains of the Rhino-virus again and again.

I'm always happy to see any invention of an irradication from viral infections.
But I'm skeptical of any "cure" just because it sounds to good to be true.

And we all know how much money is made with "treatments".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join