It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Broadcast System issuing "Monthly Tests" almost every night. Am I the only one?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just had two in a row on comcast/cartoon network at 3:13pm in Va. I have been seeing them more and more too. The first thing I thought was that they're testing them so much because they are going to be using them soon. Scary!
Every time one comes on my 7 year old starts screaming.... he associates them with Tornado warnings.Ha!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Interesting Thread.. I did a google search on this and here is some info on what I found...

U.S. Emergency Alert System being tested often, everywhere

The Emergency Broadcast System has been testing the alert program with increasing frequency in recent days. While it’s only being reported locally in various places; the larger scope of the tests has not gone unnoticed. Various Internet forums, especially conspiracy-oriented forums, have been posting threads documenting these tests.

“to allow for national EAS testing and data collection from such tests.” This could explain the recent, and sudden, widespread testing of the system.

Notice the BOLD highlight? Here is some more info about this collection of data..

FCC Tweaks Rules to Allow National EAS Test

The FCC has changed its Emergency Alert System rules to allow for national EAS testing and data collection from such tests.

The goal of the national test is to determine whether EAS functions as intended to deliver a national presidential alert.

The changes, adopted Feb. 2, have now been published in the Federal Register and are in effect. The commission’s Part 11 rules now say all EAS participating stations must take part in national tests of the EAS system. The first national EAS test must use the Emergency Alert Notification, the live event code for nationwide presidential alerts. Whenever the national test occurs, it replaces the monthly and weekly EAS tests for that particular month and week.

The new rules require the FCC to give stations at least two months’ notice before a national test; and stations must submit test-related diagnostic information — including whether they received the alert, if they re-transmitted it and the make and model of their EAS encoder/decoder — to the FCC within 45 days. The data won’t be released to the public but can be shared with other federal agencies and state governmental emergency management agencies.

All of the above is also tied into this: FCC: Presidential emergency alerts to be tested

The FCC is planning an upgrade to the tests by including presidential announcements in the system.

Lisa Fowlkes, deputy chief of the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau of the FCC, explained to the Federal Drive the Presidential Alert isn't new.

"The primary goal is to provide the President with a mechanism to communicate with the American public during times of national emergency," said Fowlkes. The change, she said, is that prior to last week's order there was no rule in place to call for or allow a test from top to bottom.

Fowlkes said, "There's never been a test from top to bottom where it's issued by FEMA and it goes straight down to all the different levels of EAS to the American public. So this is a way for us to glean, okay, if there were an actual emergency and the federal government needed to activate the Presidential EAS, making sure that it actually works the way it's designed to."

I would reccomend you follow the above links to read the articles in full.

The questions to ask in light of this is why? Why start collecting this kind of data now? Why does the FCC now need an alert for use by the President? Is this an upgrade of present day alerts or in addition to?. And of course, since this is a conspiracy site, does all this mean the goverment knows something big is going to happen to justify implementing and monitoring these new Emergency Broadcasts!

Hope the above info helps.
edit on 11/8/2011 by Freelancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
We haven't had anything here in the UK .....yet.....just some test runs by sending stroppy yobs out to wreak havoc on the streets to keep us on our toes!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hey ATS I've been lurking a long time, just now made a UN,

Just thought I'd drop in on this one, as I work in radio. I saw someone ask if anyone had contacted the networks to see what is happening, but didn't see a reply to that. So I thought I would try to calm some fears here. Like I said I work in radio, I am in the IT Department. In the middle of September (not positive of the date) ALL EAS systems are required to be upgraded to a new National system using centralized servers. These new systems have been in the roll out process for about a year now, and seeing as the date for compliance is quickly approaching most networks are making the change. However to fully make the change and be in compliance the systems have to be tested to ensure they are reaching the required audience. The new systems are going to be an excellent improvement from the old 80's tone based system, however (now the conspiracy theorist comes out) certain members of the "political" realm will have the ability to produce nationwide "alerts" or "broadcasts". Seems like it could easily be a way to provide propaganda to the masses all at once.

Anyhow thought you'd like to know my thoughts. This may not be the cause but it is certainly a likely suspect.
Kasei

Edit to Add: Sorry Freelancer, I must've missed your post before posting.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Kasei because: Apologies

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
this is slightly off-topic but related...
I'm in los angeles, lived here 20 years and in this last year they've increased the "earthquake preparedness" stuff. Always segments on the local news ranging from talking to spokespeople for USGS about the potential for the next Big One, segments on how to prepare and what to do in the event of, segments on building safety pertaining to their ability to withstand a big one etc. Of course it's SoCal and earthquakes are part of life here and it's good to be prepared but there is a marked difference in the frequency that they talk about it on the news in the last year. Not a bad thing, just makes you nervous!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I wonder if it has anything to do with the new digital TV signal that they made everyone change in the USA and now this year in Canada. Not that I watch much T.V and can say that I have heard any of these broadcasts, but last I time i did watch tv I saw a comercial saying something about needing to change unless you already had a satelight tv receiver. ApperentlyI am not sure what sort of signals are sent in other parts of the world.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's not uncommon for us to have two or three a day here in Wyoming...lately anyway...so I think there is something to it but not exactly sure what it would be.

It is tornado season for this area and maybe they are just trying to prevent another Joplin from happening.

Who knows?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

From 1998 - 2004 I worked at CBS radio station in Detroit. We had to do weekly and monthly tests. The tests would get forwarded to us from another station. These tests would happen at random times. We had 10 minutes to play it on our station and forward it to the next station. If we didn't get it done in time, the station would be fined. The system is constantly being tested and the employee/station response time is always tested. Now many stations run syndicated programs and are automated, so I'm not sure how it works now.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfATS

Annoying it may be, but come November 8/9, you may well be thankful for it.

st.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Coastal NC, using Time Warner. I catch one or two a week, but then again, I don't watch as much TV as some do. I had chalked it up to being hurricane season.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

Yeah, I've noticed it. I have trouble sleeping a lot of nights so I'm up watching tv late. I just heard something coming from a loud speaker I didn't know existed saying, "This is a test. In a real emergency......". There's a marine education institute behind me run by the school board so I'm guessing that's where it is. If I were a tin foil hat kind of guy I'd suspect they're trying to get ready for something bad.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I actually have noticed a lot less than I used to and I believe I watch more tv now

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i live in north Dakota i have never seen this emergency broadcast nor has anyone i know seen it

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Most Northern European countries have a warning system and it is tested regularly, however their warning systems are not only over the TV lol they have actual SIRENS that blast around the country, you can hear them for miles as they test them.. A lot if not most of the apartment blocks are all Nuclear bunkers anyway.
edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Exactly my thoughts on it. My coworkers ignore it. I always walk back close enough to hear if it's a test or not. Maybe it's because of my years at ATS. With all I've learned here I know there's a very real possibility that soon it won't be a test.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I went years without noticing any Emergency Broadcasts. I would say in the last few weeks, I have been seeing them several times a week, particularly on KPBS.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hey anyone who is still following this thread,

I just received an email from one of our engineers which details a National Emergency Alert System Test on November 9th by FEMA and the FCC. These tests will start coming more frequently until the compliance date, then the tests should start to wind down. You will still have a few networks testing different settings on the new machines, as they have a lot of bells and whistles.

The theorist in me says November 9 may be prove to be an interesting test. No predictions, I just know it'll be interesting. Maybe "War of the Worlds"ish, or maybe the "test" will be used to spread a propaganda like statement to all the nation under the guise of a test....I don't know. We'll see

later
Kasei

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kasei

So new and improved systems are being implemented. I never knew that the old system was failing. You mentioned that November 9 would be interesting, hmmmm... I do believe they (whoever they are) are preparing for something.

edit on 14-8-2011 by AuntB because: mental block

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory
reply to post by ProfATS

Annoying it may be, but come November 8/9, you may well be thankful for it.

st.
Another person mentioning November 9th. Am I missing a prediction or something?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Another person mentioning November 9th. Am I missing a prediction or something?

It all became 'public' 10 years ago. You know the date, everyone does.

st.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join