It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke a cig, get 15 days in jail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Under the local law, which will take effect in two to three weeks, violators, upon conviction, can be punished by a fine of up to $250, or imprisonment of up to 15 days, or both.

poststar.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Are they trying to start riots?
that's how it will end, at least.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

* The council authorized holding a Raptor Awareness Day festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 17 in City Park.

Sounds like this city has all of it's priorities straight

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus
reply to post by DeVIAS

* The council authorized holding a Raptor Awareness Day festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 17 in City Park.

Sounds like this city has all of it's priorities straight

They should just rename it jurassic park hahaha...how stupid are some people

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Jailing smokers now?Yeah those vicious thugs!I guess glens falls police have nothing better to do,huh?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Oh goodnesss, I can't believe this. 15 days IN JAIL for a smoke? I quit smoking over a year ago, so I'm not looking at this from a personal point. This is a basic American point. 15 days in jail, for most people, would mean the job is lost, so the bills can't be paid...and replacing the job is NOT LIKELY in current conditions. This, for having a SMOKE where someone doesn't want to smell it?

Hey..Fine them..Boot them out. Fines can get quite severe if people refuse to get the point. JAIL though? What if the desperado has children? They go..where?

I wish some of these government bodies would just think a little bit before over-reacting to the point of destroying people over nothing.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I had to look up Glen Falls to get a location, a country lol, and read "New York". AHAHA I was expecting some small town, but NY? They MUST be trying to instigate riots...
After a 12 hour shift at work, I'd riot if my smokes were taken away...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
i think that smoking in public should result in fines! i mean...cigarette smokers are typically the most inconsiderate addicts. at least drunks don't come up and blow liquor in my face.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

Well, after all, didn't Central Park in NY City recently implement similar ban?

And this is in NY state as well.

I have no idea what OP's position is on this, but unfortunately, city is the profiteer, and city will do what it needs to make profit. My opinion is don't rely on their properties if you want to smoke, rely on your own--while it lasts of course.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

Smart people !!! they really know what is important ....I'm a smoker ... and my reaction to that would prbaly make me a terrroist .... uhhh
that is just so stupid i do not have words for it ... but as your POTUS just said : america is a tripple A nation and will always be ..... He's in the same bubble ... snap out of it please ... you guys are totally in your own world ....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I smoke, not in parks or around kids, but if I was on a beach with nobody around and got comfortable and lit up a cig and somebody tried to arrest me for it, I'd give them a hell of a lot better reason to arrest me than smoking a cig.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
they better contact phillip morris to come bail them out

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Finally rounding up the deadly smokers who are trying to give everyone cancer. This is great. I feel much safer. Excuse me while I open up this foreclosure form that came for my house...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

I agree that it is nice to light up on a wide open beach on occasion, but we must not leave our cig "butt-prints" there or they will have reason to fine us...not jail us...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
i think that smoking in public should result in fines! i mean...cigarette smokers are typically the most inconsiderate addicts. at least drunks don't come up and blow liquor in my face.

You are worried about smokers outside? Aren't cha worried about the car exhaust too? I would rather be in an enclosed space with a few smokers, than an enclosed space with a car, running. Do you own and drive a car? If so I think you should be fined heavily for polluting the outdoor air too! Do you have flowers? Trees? in your yard? Then you should be fined for that too. You are hurting people with allergies.Where does it end? Or should that brainwashing be nipped in the bud?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD

Yeah, like smokers vomit on your front steps and urinate in your garden.Or leave a dirty needle for you kids to step on at the beach! Until smokes are outlawed total,keep smoking.The product can't be legal to sell or buy but not consumed.Don't assume I am a smoker either.
edit on 10-8-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09JYEailing smokers now?Yeah those vicious thugs!I guess glens falls police have nothing better to do,huh?

\WELL. im a smoker and if you look at my avatar i think it would look rather attrative in a grey babygrow with arrows on it.

Seriously i know fags are bad for you, but i go outside for mine, how far is the taking of liberties gonna go.

I live near a steel works and damn you should see the plumes of gas that come belching out of those chimneys.
I never had an issue with smoking being banned inpubs and restaurants, how could any decent person not, but if im gonna get fined or imprisoned for smoking outside, consider our freedoms gone. Its my choice to smoke, but when im outside im not chucking it down anyone elses lungs.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
City parks, playgrounds, beaches, pools, and other areas children and other humans are enjoying themselves are areas that do need protection. Alcohol is not allowed in most of those areas, so why should cigarettes be?

Should there be a law about it? If the majority of the people feel there should be, then they have that option. Should it result in jail time? If you're breaking a law, you go to jail - that's America. This is just business as usual. The whole "fine" idea is just funding a bureaucracy that creates more laws to generate more fines to fund themselves. I prefer jail time for law breakers.

I personally don't enjoy smelling cigarette smoke in public areas, and I used to be a smoker smoking in public areas. When you're smoking you don't realize how disgusting, smelly, offensive and bothersome you are to those around you.

The real problem here is the states have allowed companies to sell an unsafe product, cigarettes, and when people try to use it around others it becomes unsafe to the bystanders as well. The bystanders have the right to clean air, and the ability to create laws to protect that right.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
City parks, playgrounds, beaches, pools, and other areas children and other humans are enjoying themselves are areas that do need protection. Alcohol is not allowed in most of those areas, so why should cigarettes be?

Should there be a law about it? If the majority of the people feel there should be, then they have that option. Should it result in jail time? If you're breaking a law, you go to jail - that's America. This is just business as usual. The whole "fine" idea is just funding a bureaucracy that creates more laws to generate more fines to fund themselves. I prefer jail time for law breakers.

I personally don't enjoy smelling cigarette smoke in public areas, and I used to be a smoker smoking in public areas. When you're smoking you don't realize how disgusting, smelly, offensive and bothersome you are to those around you.

The real problem here is the states have allowed companies to sell an unsafe product, cigarettes, and when people try to use it around others it becomes unsafe to the bystanders as well. The bystanders have the right to clean air, and the ability to create laws to protect that right. [/quote
Then i shall smoke my next cigarette on top of snowdon, or maybe i shall buy my own private island. Do you know what i hate peoplle with personal hygiene problems, I HATE THAT SMELL, should they be banned becauise theyre smell upsets me.Also the smell of stale beer in pubs, blurgh.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Just buy e-cigs and you can smoke anywhere and everywhere. People cannot complain of water vapor that doesn't travel or smell strong. Just use the e-cig when out and about. I went shopping at a mall recently and smoked one in every store I went in. I don't see the problem as there is an easy alternative.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join