It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clouds on Mars- NASA's Exciting Video Evidence

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Reasons why there can be no life on Mars

1. It's to cold.

2. Lack of Atmospheric pressure.

3. Cosmic rays and solar radiation constantly sterilize the surface (UV light breaks molecules apart).

4. Lack of liquid water (due to reason 2).

5. To far from the sun meaning a lack of solar energy even if plant DNA could survive the onslaught of radiation.

So if we take all of these bullet points into account we can assume that Mars is devoid of any surface life as we know it, now the hard part is people coming to terms with this.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This is a thread about clouds on mars if you want to throw it into the direction of mars anomalies in general i don't think the OP would appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Yeah i know the basics too, i learned that in highschool

But that's not why come to ATS for topics like these, because imo most of what we get learned in the public system is fiction sold as fact.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69

1. It's to cold.

3. Cosmic rays and solar radiation constantly sterilize the surface (UV light breaks molecules apart).

5. To far from the sun meaning a lack of solar energy even if plant DNA could survive the onslaught of radiation.

So if we take all of these bullet points into account we can assume that Mars is devoid of any surface life as we know it, now the hard part is people coming to terms with this.

I'm sorry but I couldn't help noticing that your entire post is demonstrably erroneous.
In reverse order; more than enough solar energy reaches the martian surface for plants to photosynthesise, nasa has in the PAST FEW DAYS released strong evidence of liquid water being present, there are many extremophiles on earth capable of withstanding the levels of ultra violet and cosmic radiation measured on the martian surface and finally the surface temperature rises well above 0 periodically and additionally there are many, many species on earth capable of living at temperatures below the freezing point of water.
So yeah, you're just entirely wrong I'm afraid - It's not even a matter of opinion.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lowundertheradar

This is, amazing! I had no idea they existed, really weird feeling seeing this!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

So, essentially, you won't believe any sort of actual factual information whatsoever and are here just to belittle. Good to know.

So tell me, in all of your massive amounts of personal research, the verified data and statistics of what Mars is really like. I'm looking to buy ocean-front property there, and I'm figuring your my best bet.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Im not saying that there are little green men walking around right now, but if i had to start explaining why i believe what i believe, you wouldnt believe me anyway.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Ok, so then we can agree to disagree here then.

Essentially if you can't refute factual information with anything more plausible, it gets a bit pointless to try and debate it. Factual information being what is theorized from the current known data. That, of course, means that it can easily be expanded and modified as more data is added.

I'm guessing that your basis for your side of this is derived from some sort of personal experience, which is all well and fine; truly it is. It just doesn't leave you with much of a scientific leg to stand on without any kind of backing evidence, which makes it a bit hard to debate other than doing the equivalent of back and forth "nuh uh!"s.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

No, it's hard to convey my view to someone who religiously accepts science as fact..

But i guess that goes the same for how i think, yet i dont accept that as fact either, let's just call it a "more likely truth"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool to see,thanks OP.

Personally,i did logically assume that there would be clouds on mars,having a atmosphere and all.

But yer..

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

That doesn't even make sense "religiously accepts science as fact". We're not talking Scientology the last I checked.

Science is about Facts...Religion is about Belief without needing Facts (aka - Faith) Without going into the whole religion and science debate...you said that I don't need the facts to accept the facts as fact, which is a bit redundant and blatantly nonsense.

Science, as a whole, looks to find the nature of various things by taking the data (also known as facts). So if I'm using a system of factual analysis to find out the facts, I fail to see the logical fallacy that you are attempting to mock.

Really starting to feel like you're just trying to troll the thread a bit... Especially since I already asked you to provide further information and elaborate your viewpoint (and so did Phage earlier) and you only reply with snide remarks half the time...

If you're not willing to put your cards on the table, then it's a bit unreasonable to expect anyone to listen to what you have to say let alone believe things that completely contradict any and all current evidence. It doesn't matter if I "won't believe you anyway" because that type of behavior is just childish. If you can't or aren't willing to back what you're trying to say, then there really isn't any point in saying it in the first place.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I know I am a day late and a dollar short to this thread but...

There are clouds on Mars!

How did this happen and why didn't anyone tell me until now?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Clouds have been observed on Mars since quite a while before Phoenix. In 1997 Pathfinder returned many images of a variety of clouds. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... In 2008 Phoenix also observed snow falling from those clouds but the snow did not reach the surface.

The presence of water on Mars has been established since the 1960s (at least). It is the presence of liquid water which is open to debate.

The atmospheric pressure is too low to allow it to last for long before evaporating and turning into...clouds of ice high in the atmosphere. The atmospheric pressure is so low that the falling snow evaporated without ever melting (sublimated).

Ah, God, thanks, Phage. The clanging in my head has stopped now and I have set the phone down.

A Planet full of water that has virtually all been volatilized in to the upper atmosphere only to make the occasional appearance on camera as 'phantom ice' or these clouds.

How cool Is that?

Thanks, Phage.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
for your info, OP, I saw something freaky in the national Canadian televisio9n back in the '90s, and it was not long before the first Mars Rover footage came out...

A team of NASA scientists were in some vast, deserted region of the Canadian north to make "experiments" on the living conditions on Mars, since this area was supposedly an environment's that's very close to the

Two things have struck me in this, the first, the leader of this team was a very sketchy character,. A big shot who was raised in China and Atlantic Canada, who made his way all through the military and establishment, up to a very posh job for the NASA. From his wily temper, with the kind of self-assurance you only in serial killers, it showed that he was a really dishonest individual, onto something quite controversial. Second: that guy's job was actually directing a team of photographers and cameramen, to reportedly "study" this kind of environment, in relation to the one that the Mars robot would be facing.

I always thought something is wrong with that strange experiment, since why would they need to film stuff up north... when there was already a probe sent to Mars.

If you,e following me, all this Mars footage may very be fake crap, filmed somewhere in the endless, hostile wilderness of the Great North, with a ridiculous fraction of the budget a real Mars mission would cost, while they could invest there rest somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69

1. It's to cold.

You are assuming, of course, that there is currently no life living under the surface. You are also assuming HUMAN life or something similar, because microbes can definitely survive those conditions, especially underground. The final assumption you make is relying too heavily on earth-centric evolution. There may be a whole species of complex, and yes, possible intelligent life which evolved to adapt to those conditions.

Thanks for the bullet points, but they're nothing conclusive.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Enlightenme1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Too bad NASA won't show the true colors of Mars skies..they are blue, not dingy orange. I don't know why this is such a secret to them ?

www.thelivingmoon.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Actually this already was known from the first rover (Sojourner) that was sent there. They were able to observe wispy Carbon Dioxide clouds that were floating by comparing time lapsed photograpy. So nothing new here. They are CO2 clouds and not water vapor clouds. Otherwise you would see snow on the ground. Mars needs a few more Kilo Tons of meteorites to increase its gravity.

Kratos40

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
People don't seem to understand just how thin the martian atmosphere is, it is about 0.6% of the sea level surface pressure on Earth

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You're forgetting they're CO2 clouds...hardly any H20 in them

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by snewpers
Cool

Too bad the Phoenix Mars Lander is broken (according to NASA).

Looks like more water is present than they like us to believe.

Friend:

Yes more, and more of the NASA "soft" disclosure...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join