It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clouds on Mars- NASA's Exciting Video Evidence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Martian Clouds Above Phoenix- 1

Dark Skies and Clouds Move in at Phoenix Site

Ice Clouds in Martian Arctic (Accelerated Movie)

Nightime Clouds in Martian Arctic

To me, this amount of water vapor appears in excess of what we've always been led to believe; that Mars is a cold, dry and harsh planet that cannot support life. Perhaps through the careful dribbling of information such as this, the mainstream scientific communities paradigm is being shifted towards possibilities, far, far different?

I've performed three searches on this subject here at ATS and have come up empty handed, so if these vid's already have an associated thread, my apologies to all!
edit on 9-8-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
very cool.

i have never seen marsian clouds.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The Surface Stereo Imager onboard NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander observed clouds drifting across the horizon in the early morning on the 119th sol, or Martian day, since landing (September 25, 2008). Clouds were observed each night after Sol 80 (August 15, 2008) as the atmospheric temperature decreased.

This is from your first link.

They say that the landing occurred on September 25, 2008. Then they go on to say that the clouds were observed each night after August 15, 2008!

So they observed the clouds before the landing occurred? Confusing for me.

Nevermind, I see what it is, the landing occurred previous to August 15th, duh. September 25th was the day that the photos were taken, 119 Martian days after landing. How long is a Martian day?

How long is a day on Mars? Great question! There are two ways to determine the length of a day on any celestial body. The sidereal day and the solar day. A sidereal day on Mars is the length of time that it takes the planet to rotate once on its axis. A sidereal day on Mars lasts 24 hours 37 minutes and 22 seconds. The solar day is how long it takes the Sun to return to the meridian. This position changes slightly each day, but a solar day on Mars lasts 24 hours 39 minutes and 35 seconds.

Source
edit on 9-8-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Cool

Too bad the Phoenix Mars Lander is broken (according to NASA).

Looks like more water is present than they like us to believe.

link   
And below the soil lies near north pole???

+22 more 
link   
Remember when NASA wanted us to believe Mars had a red sky?

"Look folks, the images show a red sky on Mars!" - cut to decades later - Oh sorry about that image of a blue sky folks, we weren't trying to mislead you, we just used a red filter to highlite the details on Mars that's all."

G-damn liars is what they are, I physically can't force myself to believe anything they tell me anymore, makes me ill.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lowundertheradar

Looking more habitable by the day
somebody shoot a rocket with some seeds to mars and see if anything sprouts.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by A por uvas

Looking more habitable by the day
somebody shoot a rocket with some seeds to mars and see if anything sprouts.

They already did

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is a good sign for earth, if these clouds produce rain then I believe Mars will be on its way to becoming habitibal. Does the phoenix change it's camera angle? It should periodicaly look at the ground to see if rain is falling. Cool stuff.

Oh, the Phoenix is broken...how convenient.
edit on 9-8-2011 by PunchingBag80 because: correcting myself

edit on 9-8-2011 by PunchingBag80 because: mispelling

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So they observed these clouds in 2008 and broke the news that there is water on Mars in 2011?

I also knew about the fake colouring of Mars...

The NASA gang are such losers!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They're beautiful --- humidity clouds, and a black one crossing in second video, that should be rain ! ! This is a very very good find. I cant believe it wasnt frontpage back in its time, it's depressing.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TETRA.X

Actually, the news about water on Mars is regarding Liquid water. That is what they've been looking for when you've heard about searches for water on Mars. Mars also frequently has periodic dust storms, which would help with cloud formation, but any water in them would be ice crystals.

Did you think that they were saying there was no water at all on the planet? We've had images of the polar ice caps on Mars for a long time and it is even believed that there could be a lot of ice underground throughout the planet. The problem here is the atmospheric pressure and temperature, not so much a lack of H2O. (it also doesn't help that the planet has practically no magnetic field to protect it, which is a good bet to why the atmosphere has gotten so thinned out)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Not that long ago, NASA said that the polar caps consisted entirely of frozen carbon dioxide.

I just don't have that much faith in the organization since the changing stories about the color of the sky, and the rocks...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
i bet there is cities on mars, mining going on mars, i bet there grows trees, there is water and other stuff.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

So wait, that means that if they post a hypothesis...investigate, and find out they were wrong (or just missing info) later, it means that they lied and tried to misinform us? And actually the ice caps have both CO2 and H2O as they found in data collected in 2005 when the CO2 cap melted to reveal the H2O ice below it.

It's a no-win scenario...if they try to say what they think an unknown might be and are wrong (or in this case just not wholly accurate), then they lied and tried to mislead us all...if they say nothing until they find out, then they were covering it up until some mysterious force gave them no choice but to disclose.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's just really cool! I like the animation so we can see the movement and the changes of the clouds.

Pretty awesome! S&F!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Remember when NASA wanted us to believe Mars had a red sky?

"Look folks, the images show a red sky on Mars!" - cut to decades later - Oh sorry about that image of a blue sky folks, we weren't trying to mislead you, we just used a red filter to highlite the details on Mars that's all."

G-damn liars is what they are, I physically can't force myself to believe anything they tell me anymore, makes me ill.

NASA is actually still using filters for their Mars photos. The blue color becomes red, red becomes maroon and green is totally indistinguishable from the background. This made me think that Mars may have green patches in there and the filter that NASA uses for their pics will make sure that no green colors will be visible from any Mars pics.

Nice thread, btw. S+F for you.
edit on 9-8-2011 by wavemaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Some cool Mars pics.. enjoy

?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fd0b3b673f2.gif[/atsimg]
A supposed statue
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/562c21381e31.gif[/atsimg]
?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3220e54b7cb7.gif[/atsimg]
?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b06840620450.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 8/9/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

I didn't out and out call them liars. I understand that they learn things as time goes along, and I'm familiar with the scientific method.

We had the Viking lander on Mars in 1976, and we got some great color pics. They aren't very fast with releasing information.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, this is a conspiracy website. There are people here that believe in the Billy Miers story. I just have some doubts about the veracity of NASA's info that they release. I don't feel too bad about that.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Wow, I would love to see that in person!
Hmm where to buy a ticket to mars?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join