It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beef, it's what's - going to be VERY expensive soon.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hopefully, this won't effect my local market. I prefer to buy my meat from the country butcher who processes meat for the local farmers and hunters. Otherwise, I may just have to start liking Cube Steaks again instead of a nice thick porterhouse. Cube steaks were a common menu item around my house when I was a kid. We also ate plenty of "city chicken" as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Anyone have experience with any of these.

www.foodsaver.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Lucky for me...I don't eat meat. Suggestion.....switch to fish ...you all....it is healthy too!

Beef....it is ...not what is for dinner tonight!
edit on 9-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I dont know... doesnt seem plausible to me.

As long as there are humans alive we'll always have some meat... hell its "beef" too!
more like pork-long pig!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Not to diminish the issue or be a smart ass, but people really need to get used to eating meat that isn't beef. Things are going to be bad for a long time. We have chickens, ducks, geese, pheasant, quail, rabbits, pigs and goats on our very small family farm.

There is still time to get the zoning laws changed if you live in an urban area. Denver recently approved chickens. There is an election coming up, research urban farmer movements in your area and jump on the bandwagon. Get it on the ballot in your city. It's sure to get approved in times like these.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It is really funny to claim that "vegetarianism" is the answer when the problem is that there isn't enough "vegetation" for the cows to eat. So how is "vegetariansim" the answer when there is a shortage of plants?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
How long can you safely store beef in a freezer and what is the cost of a decent vacuum sealer? Seems like a good idea to stock up. In the event prices don't change, well so what?
I found mine on ebay for $30 bucks. The vacuumed packaged items will keep for years in the freezer if I'm not mistaken. Air is what makes meat get freezer burns.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PeasantRebellion

Great points.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Wow, your new prices still half price to Australia. Our meat is probably the most expensive in the Western world.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I think you are confusing grass with vegetables. But at any rate, sprouts grow just fine on your kitchen counter. I don't think vegetarianism is some kind of ultimate answer, but people in America generally eat way too much protein and not enough living food.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm trying to understand how there could be any kind of "beef shortage" considering how much land in America is being handed over to big agriculture.
media.abovetopsecret.com... he_Mustang_Conspiracy_-_Part_1_HD/

Decimating habitat for native species to move in more cattle. Yet the prices will go up...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mellok

Read the news articles, but to summarize it; drought = less hay = less cows = shortage = higher prices.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is great news. I raise cattle. Out here in Idaho, we don't have a drought to worry about. My cows are currently getting fat and sassy on fresh grass and the barn is full of hay.

Now if the price doubles, I'm making bank. Right now I normally make around $1000 - $1300 per cow. If I made $2000 plus per cow, my operating costs could be covered for the year by selling 2 cows. The rest would be all profit.

Maybe it's wrong to hope for tragedy, but...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That could also mean America may have a new Dust Bowl.

And McDonald's burgers may soon be coming in smaller boxes you would normally associate with wedding rings...but at the same price you're paying now.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Instead of freezing, can your beef! It will last a lot longer. (years) You can can hamburg (taco meat too), pretty much all of it.
We have a cow and 2 pigs raised for us every year and I can most all of it, except for the steaks.
This will work well for anyone wanting to buy up the cheaper meat now although it does taste better when you know where it came from and what it was fed and NOT injected with. IMO.

edit on 9-8-2011 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Ahhhhh, free range cattle eating exactly what they were built for....nice and healthywith more flavour.

Whats your address? I'll send a truck round

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
This is great news. I raise cattle. Out here in Idaho, we don't have a drought to worry about. My cows are currently getting fat and sassy on fresh grass and the barn is full of hay.

Now if the price doubles, I'm making bank. Right now I normally make around $1000 - $1300 per cow. If I made $2000 plus per cow, my operating costs could be covered for the year by selling 2 cows. The rest would be all profit.

Maybe it's wrong to hope for tragedy, but...
No worries, I work for an oilfield service and supply company and we often pray for hurricanes! The racist jerks will ask me to do a rain dance for a hurricane too

edit on 9-8-2011 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So THAT'S where our rain was for all those years... :p Here in Alberta we've had drought for awhile, and we also have a lot of beef cattle, and this year is the first in many that we've actually had a proper amount of rain. So come up here and you can buy our beef; it's tasty! ) I don't know how our production compares to Texas in a typical year, but I think we should have one of our best years in a long time for beef up here, and if so, hopefully the prices won't go up quite as much, as Alberta might be able to fulfill some of the demand for beef that Texas ordinarily would.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PeasantRebellion

Actually, people need to get used to eating food that isn't meat. Shocking concept, I know, but let's be hinest here. Meat's expensive, has a short shelf life, and is very slow and intensive to renew.it takes roughly ten servings of vegetables to produce one serving of beef, and the beef doesn't provide substantially more nutrition.

Switch from meat to animal products - milk and egg - along with high amounts of vegetables. If you must have meat of some sort, go for fish; learn to use a pole, for starters.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Great post. Still though, some of us enjoy the taste of beef, and chicken and fish, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join