It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beef, it's what's - going to be VERY expensive soon.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Just an update, I got our side of beef back. Ended up with a total of 270lbs of meat. Price per pound was $4.14
The butcher also vacuum sealed it for us at no extra charge so I didn't need my sealer.
The difference between this fresh beef and store bought is like night and day, even the hamburger tastes so much better.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm all for anything that hurts a factory farm.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
IF beef did skyrocket, there are plenty of other meats too... Chicken is far more versatile, for starters. Although I'm not as crazy about pork, it's certainly an option. Seafood is another, though not cheap usually, but some kinds are.

I'm just not cut out to be a veggie only kind of guy.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I was a meat-eater most of my life but discovered that it was an acquired taste. I noticed that I simply enjoy vegetables a lot more than I do beef and other animal protein. Considering that farming beef is quite a wasteful enterprise... I'll remain mostly vegetarian with an occasional bite of chicken and pork. Problem solved.

Lower cholesterol, less chance of diabetes, overall better life expectancy -- what's not to love about it?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Lower cholesterol, less chance of diabetes, overall better life expectancy -- what's not to love about it?

Missing a good, thick, juicy steak....that's what is not to love about it...

Acquired taste...we've been omnivores since we first climbed out of the trees....

That's cool that you have your own preferences and all, but man, I just don't get how one cannot enjoy the taste of a good steak. It's basically in our DNA to do so.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It's basically in our DNA to do so.

If this was in our DNA, beef consumption wouldn't be correlated with cancers, diabetes and heart decease, don't you think? Eating poison hardly contributes to survival of the fittest and all that.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Want to help keep your beef prices low? Go Local! I get my grass fed beef from a local rancher. Support a local rancher,eat healthier meat and keep the prices low.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

If this was in our DNA, beef consumption wouldn't be correlated with cancers, diabetes and heart decease, don't you think? Eating poison hardly contributes to survival of the fittest and all that.

Its not beef that is the problem, its how the animals are raised killed, and what they are fed. Unhealthy cows (factory farmed cows) are obviously going to cause health problems when the animals, who's meat you are eating is sick. Cows are not meant to eat grains and when they do it has effects on the humans that eat their meat. Cows who eat pesticide free grass and have the luxury of wandering around and grazing all day produce healthy and nutritious meat. Something neither PETA or the factory farmers want you to know.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hate to say it but I hope the prices do hit the roof. We keep around 60 head of cattle on our 260 acres just for the beef. So the increased profit on sales would be nice. People really should look into buying full sides of beef at a time if they can come up with the money its a massive saver. For us, appx 900lbs of beef in the freezer costs around 500$. But thats just because we raise them and the expense is minor since they are free range. I have reinforced part of the barn to support 2000lbs just in case pop decides to have a hand at skipping the butcher fee. Have to say I hope not. Skinned a deer is one thing but a 1600lb steer would be a whole different ballgame. But ya never know what the future brings might as well be ready for it.

I saw where someone was talking about the difference in the processed and free range cattle and the injections and what not. If you have never had home grown beef I promise you one bite and you will not want to buy from the store again. There is a definite taste difference right off the bat.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Its not beef that is the problem, its how the animals are raised killed, and what they are fed. Unhealthy cows (factory farmed cows) are obviously going to cause health problems when the animals, who's meat you are eating is sick. Cows are not meant to eat grains and when they do it has effects on the humans that eat their meat. Cows who eat pesticide free grass and have the luxury of wandering around and grazing all day produce healthy and nutritious meat. Something neither PETA or the factory farmers want you to know.

While I agree with ill effects of how cows are fed etc, there are basic biochemistry facts that have nothing to do with methods of production, and according to them beef is still harmful to humans not matter how free range and organic it is. Look up "cretan diet" (very little meat) and positive effect if had over hundreds of years, before corn, feed lot etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join