It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Global Stock Market Collapse Watch

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Just how the National Weather Service in the United States issues watches for conditions favorable for inclement weather, I went ahead and started a thread with similar verbiage as the Global Stock Market is favorable to have a rough go of it after the recent happenings here in the US and Europe.

Earlier I started threads 8/11/2011 stock market watch for Asia/Pacific and Europe, but decided to just have an ongoing thread that looks at the Stock Markets of the globe in their entirety, so that way all of the good advice and forecasts land in just one thread. Mods you can close the other two threads and redirect them here if you'd like.

8/11/2011 (potential "Black Monday"???)

1. Asia/Pacific: The Asian markets started off trading with losses from 1% - 2% with some exceptions in Israel and South Korea where trading was halted at one point or another. In all it was not as bad as most "experts" feared it would be as it appears that Asia/Pacific markets were in a holding pattern waiting to see how Europe and the US markets perform.

Allstocks.com - Asia/Pacific

2. Europe: The European markets started off the same way the Asian markets did, but then the European Central Bank stepped in and pledged to buy bonds from Italy and Spain therefore causing a rise (prolonging the inevitable) in the Euro markets. Will a similar thing happen here in the US? Evidently it was decided in the flurry of meetings between the G-20 and G-7 that this could be an Ace in the sleeve to stop the US markets from panicking come their time to open.

Allstocks.com - Europe

3. US/Americas: That leaves the US stock markets which are due to open in one hour, 9:30am EST. I really do not know what to expect. If the markets go sour too fast, I see someone stepping in promising to buy bonds, ala Europe, to quell investor's fears and to keep the markets from plunging too low too quickly. Will this work though since the downgrade of the United State's credit rating?

Allstock.com - US/Americas

Allstocks.com - US Markets In Depth

I reiterate, I'm not a financial or expert in the markets. I just analyze and spit out my opinions base off of what I see and a gut feeling (this is the main reason why I do not invest much into the stock market.) Hopefully the financial experts will chime in on this thread as the US markets open and give their opinions on what they think this will mean for the next few weeks/months of uncertainty.
edit on 8-8-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Did you just see Rick Santelli's newest rant, as of just 1 minute ago on CNBC!!!!????

Priceless!!!!!

Go Rick!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

What was the gist of it . . . or can you pride a linkskie . . . please and thanks.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think this thread sorta qualifies as an "already posted" thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

But honestly with whats happening I think this is a good idea. Keep the updates rolling through

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Nope did not see it. What did Rick Santelli have to say?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

That thread was posted 10-28-2008, but I guess I could be more specific.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Quite a bit, looking for the Video on it now, will update, too much too quote, but a classic on POTUS leadership role, and what the citizens of the USA should be doing instead of duck and cover......

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Severe cloud to ground anxiety attacks with a good chance of golf ball sized panic selling.

It looks like right now the foreign markets are just kinda idling down a bit in anticipation of what is goign to happen in the US. But the oil prices and precious metals should give a good indication of off market fluctuation too. Im honestly not all that worried about today. I have had people calling me all weekend to ask me my thoughts and whether they thought the banks were goign to fail again. Etc etc. I really dont see too much going on. Especially not necesarily with the banking stocks. Different situation than 2008. I wont say I dont see a future collapse happening soon, but i dont think this is necessarily the day or the week. I think the credit rating is just one more domino in the long line that needs to fall. It will shake things up. But not a big enough blow to really do too much by itself. I think people are just trying to get some certainty as to what is going on with our current financial situation. Also I think a lot of people who got hurt in 2008 are getting cold feet and fearing that it may happen to them again, so your goign to have a lot of mom and pop & inexperienced inverters likely pulling their money out trying to be safe. Leaving some attractive deals for experienced day trader type investors like myself. Especially financial stocks people will drop out of fear of the financial sector lumping them all together. The Financial stocks that are actually are fundamentally sound will make for some safe undervalued stocks. Pretty obvious. Ill be keeping an eye on the situation though. In all reality, Anything can happen.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 12345lonestar

I've gotta agree with ya, on the analysis, right now Jim Cramer looks like a Heroin addict in need of a fix, and that ain't good for Good Ol Mr. Sunshine himself.....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

That's some pretty sound advice and a good synopsis of what I think will happen. I bought in back in 2008 in September right before the market plunged again in October 2008, so I'm in it for the long haul. If I sell I won't gain anything, so I'm going to ride the ship until it either sinks or sails.

Why are speculator types, so panicky? Makes me think the drops are artificial, so that they can maximize on their profits when the next artificial bubble comes. Then it bursts again; wash, rinse, repeat. For example when the Hang Seng dropped to around 20k this morning, there was a massive volume of sell offs. Right as it reached the 20k mark, people started buying again and it went back up.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
How long till the US markets open?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
How long till the US markets open?

The markets open at 9:30am EST, so in about 8 more minutes or so.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
7 mins

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

OK thanks mate. I should be in bed but I might as well stay up for a while and watch the show.

I guess there is a lot of anticipation as to what will happen. I'm just wondering how far it could actually meltdown...

Or maybe it won't be as bad as all that

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent

That's some pretty sound advice and a good synopsis of what I think will happen. I bought in back in 2008 in September right before the market plunged again in October 2008, so I'm in it for the long haul. If I sell I won't gain anything, so I'm going to ride the ship until it either sinks or sails.

Why are speculator types, so panicky? Makes me think the drops are artificial, so that they can maximize on their profits when the next artificial bubble comes. Then it bursts again; wash, rinse, repeat. For example when the Hang Seng dropped to around 20k this morning, there was a massive volume of sell offs. Right as it reached the 20k mark, people started buying again and it went back up.

And with each cycle, wealth is created with a basis of sweet bugger all. In theory, it would be schwell if this cycle continued on in perpituity, but the reality is at some point the fake wealth is so askew from actual value, the bubble bursts . . . which is where we're headed now.

The stuff people have ain't worth claimed wealth and in attempting to secure more liquidity to increase wealth, they've build a house of cards and there's a nasty breeze a blowing . . . they're called the winds of change and it is going to be some interesting to see how it all plays out.

And scary too.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Pre open DOW futures are down over 300 points, or 3%

www.sgxniftydowfutureslive.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Its going to open down 250 . . . ugly ugly UGLY

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Haha Jim Cramer... All those guys need a vacation so desperately. You can literally lose your mind when you fallow the markets too closely. Too much stress, no sleep, and barely any holidays.

The annoying thing about the long term holding strategy has is that inflation is killing us. Most charts do not show the market in comparison to inflation. That chart looks much more depressing. And we have lost anywhere from 10-30% of our dollar value against many of the other major currencies in the past year. Although the Government still claims inflation is a few % per a year..COUGH. Not even looking at the huge rise in Gold and Silver but I think that is also being fueled by media and fear. Its really trendy these days. I used to tout silver to everyone back when it was about $12 a few years ago. Now i wont touch it, Not that i dont think it will continue to go up, but its become a fad thats not really correlating to actual facts.

There are patterns that do arise often in trading. Most of it involves testing 52week highs or bottoms or double bottoms, all sorts or random patterns. There is also a predictability to it because so many people now use automatic software programs to trigger sales and buys at certain patters so a trader with a real head can also predict those triggers many people automatically have in place. IF you watch it closely enough for a while you tend to become very ware of the natural fluctuations. Some traders get so used to them that when things dont go according to the normal routine they lose their effing minds and freak out. The good traders usually adapt quicker. I made a killing back in 2008. One of the best months of my life. haha IT was a day traders paradise. Stocks bouncing around 20% based off of a tiny tidbit of news. I am not goign to peruse this unless it gets haywire again. Then I might get sucked in. Ill just enjoy being able to sleep for the time being and not turning in to Jim Cramer.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The New York Stock Exchange early Monday put into effect its so-called "Rule 48," aiming to smooth the opening of U.S. stock trading in what is expected to be a rocky session.

Rule 48 allows designated market makers on the NYSE to refrain from disseminating price indications ahead of the opening bell. The idea is to make it easier and faster to open stocks on days when trading is poised to become especially volatile.

source

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
In other news: South America's markets are not looking so well right now, but it is still early.

Brazil - BVSP

Almost Down 4.5%

Chile - IPSA

close to being down 9%
edit on 8-8-2011 by majesticgent because: whoops

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join