It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nootropic drugs waste of money or should i look into them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Nootropics (pronounced /noʊ.ɵˈtrɒpɨks/), also referred to as smart drugs, memory enhancers, and cognitive enhancers as well as intelligence enhancers, are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration.[1][2] The word nootropic was coined in 1972[3][4] by the Romanian Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea, derived from the Greek words νους nous, or "mind," and τρέπειν trepein meaning "to bend/turn". Nootropics are thought to work by altering the availability of the brain's supply of neurochemicals (neurotransmitters, enzymes, and hormones), by improving the brain's oxygen supply, or by stimulating nerve growth. However the efficacy of nootropic substances, in most cases, has not been conclusively determined. This is complicated by the difficulty of defining and quantifying cognition and intelligence.

I posted the definition of Nootropic drugs for those of you who do not know about them but keep in mind i want to know if people have taken them and what effects it had or if it had any effect at all. If they did work do you use a stack "meaning a bunch of different types" or just one. Right now I'm in college and could use them if they do work. I hate to say this but most likely i will experiment with Nootropics, i also do not want to kill my self in doing so. Please save the ask your doctor speech as well because asking him one damn question is like 180 dollars and unless he prescribes them too me i doubt he will say take them.
edit on 7-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Gingko Biloba is a good common natural one. I've never tried it, but I've heard good things.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Any pill or supplements are always crap that is way overpriced and ineffective. Nature already does it best, so find out what foods contain the certain nutrients you are looking for and eat it in the rawest form you can.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
this

Originally posted by hxc408

Any pill or supplements are always crap that is way overpriced and ineffective. Nature already does it best, so find out what foods contain the certain nutrients you are looking for and eat it in the rawest form you can.

and maybe a little charlie will see you right

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by hxc408

You very could be right on the money, most of the pills we take we piss out and don't absorb anyway. Yet the idea of it is compelling enough to try a few to see if it has any effect.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

There is no clinical evidence that any supplement or pill improves cognition or memory.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Utter nonsense. Racetams are indeed proven to positively impact cognition and memory, increase blood flow to the brain and cross-hemispheric communication.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

False. The racetams have shown promise in preventing seizures and slowing (or even stopping) pathologic sclerosis, but there are no definitive studies that show they improve memory or cognitive function. In fact, researchers were concerned they racetams might IMPAIR cognitive function in epileptic patients until recent studies proved otherwise.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Swim would be very, very careful with this Substances,
try to collect a lot of Information as possible in advance!

There are 2 good Forums, the very good Drug-Forum.com
and the Bluelight
both have a huge Section for Nootropics!

I can tell you that many Students got big health Problems
because of this Drugs!

When you need them for Study only,
and not Recreation,
it is smarter to invest a Semester/ 6 month longer until the Subject Matter
is really inside of your Brain Hard Disk!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I am in college too, and this is one area that I am very interested in. However, I want to study them more than I want to do them. I think that we will see some really fascinating things happening in this area in the future, and I am hoping that when I am done with school I will be able to do some research in this area.

And as to the whole 'not natural' aspect: What substance is not natural? Trying to separate humans from nature is odd in my opinion. We, (natural beings), using things found in nature, create other natural things. That's my view.
edit on 7-8-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

ideal college drug that is cheap that you can find almost anywhere is adderoll. But nothing you take to enhance something you can't do on your own is not going to be good for you. Anything that alter's to mind will have some kind of permanent effect, won't be noticeable at first but time on the drug you will learn to find that what you have been taking was thought to be a miracle will twist to a nightmare.
That's our biggest problem in this world today, people want a bunch of things to enhance their daily life's that they don't even need. It's gotten so bad lately that people don't even want these thing's they "Need" them.
Maybe you should just do some reflecting before you make any sudden decisions like this. It is your life and body though so what I say won't have any control or even any matter most likely on the situation's outcome.
Have a good one.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
Nootropics (pronounced /noʊ.ɵˈtrɒpɨks/), also referred to as smart drugs, memory enhancers, and cognitive enhancers as well as intelligence enhancers, are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration.[1][2] The word nootropic was coined in 1972[3][4] by the Romanian Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea, derived from the Greek words νους nous, or "mind," and τρέπειν trepein meaning "to bend/turn". Nootropics are thought to work by altering the availability of the brain's supply of neurochemicals (neurotransmitters, enzymes, and hormones), by improving the brain's oxygen supply, or by stimulating nerve growth. However the efficacy of nootropic substances, in most cases, has not been conclusively determined. This is complicated by the difficulty of defining and quantifying cognition and intelligence.

I posted the definition of Nootropic drugs for those of you who do not know about them but keep in mind i want to know if people have taken them and what effects it had or if it had any effect at all. If they did work do you use a stack "meaning a bunch of different types" or just one. Right now I'm in college and could use them if they do work. I hate to say this but most likely i will experiment with Nootropics, i also do not want to kill my self in doing so. Please save the ask your doctor speech as well because asking him one damn question is like 180 dollars and unless he prescribes them too me i doubt he will say take them.
edit on 7-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

If you have to take memory enhancers to get through college, then maybe you should reconsider what you are doing there at all.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervalentiodine

I'm taking 16 credits buddy. I'm not on the 17 year plan where I only take one class every quarter. It's also in the IT field try taking four classes in the I.T. field
each class requires 4 hours a week of reading and two hours of actual computer time needed to understand the way it's done add in homework, and that's another two hours. That's eight hours a class so times that by 4 and its 32 hours of work on top of working a 40-hour workweek. Do that every week for 11 weeks and tell me if you wouldn't want help as well? I don't need the drug but I would like the help

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I took 20+ credit hours every week to earn both a degree in molecular genetics and a degree in English literature. Most of my classmates took 18+ hours, as well. None of us needed any chemical assistance. If you are having to use a drug to make it through a bachelors program, maybe you need to think about taking more than 4 years to do it, or find out what part of your study plan isn't effective. Some people will stare at a book for 30+ hours per week, thinking they're "studying", while they really aren't learning anything. Maybe you're more of an audio learner, or a kinetic learner.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

when i was reading your post i could help thinking of doc phil. I understand you have a background in the medical field but trying to compare us to give your self a pat on the back is not only stupid its down right insulting. Sorry i didn't have parents who paid my way through school. I had to save up and work 60 hour work weeks at a back breaking job to pay for my college education and it took me 10 years because i wanted to go to a good school without owing 100 grand in loans. Now I'm in one and Its not easy so i was looking for anyway to make a bit easier understand. I'm not some 18 year old kid who's going to abuse them and maybe kill his friends by selling them the stuff without knowing what he is doing.
edit on 8-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Not everybody is the same

Which is why not everyone should go to college. If you have to use drugs just to get by, then you're probably not cut out for it in the first place. What's going to happen when you get into the workforce and have to work 60 or 80 hours per week (not uncommon in entry level positions, especially in IT)? Are you just going to keep doping yourself up and hope it doesn't have any effect on your body?

This is the sort of thing that kills me. People whine and moan about "big pharma" pushing drugs on them, but will clamor for the "magic pill" when they think it will help them, regardless of the side effects.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I rewrote the post above because i didn't see you commented before. i have worked a 60 hour and 80 hour work week. To say that I'm not cut out for it is a joke right? I mean you have no clue what my grades are do you? Also i have already worked in the IT field that's what i was doing before i went to school and its still isn't easy. If you didn't think the drug worked then why post "if i need to take it then maybe I shouldn't go to college" your logic seems very flawed for someone so highly educated. The IT job i worked was in telecommunications try pulling cat 5/6 through in an attic crawl space in a 100 degree weather and carrying cider blocks up flights of stairs to hold down non penetrating roof mounts for satellite dishes in the California heat all day. Ps how this any different from taking caffeine in the morning to stay up.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I never said the drug didn't work. I said that if you need a drug just to do as well as others...then maybe you're just not fit for what you're trying to do? Or maybe you need to find a better or more effective way to study, since your current method clearly isn't working?

And why do you assume my parents "paid for everything"? My family came to America when I was in middle school, and we all worked for what we have. I helped my father with his work while I was in college and also worked another job to pay my way. I also didn't need an artificial chemical (caffeine, Adderall, or anything else) to succeed.

I'm simply trying to point out that you are using the same mindset as a drug addict and need to kick the habit before it's too late. Today, you're just taking it to get better grades. Tomorrow, you're taking it because you get "the shakes" without it. Get it?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

The shakes lol really buddy your in medical field. if they had been uppers or downers yeah but these drugs aren't additive. I wouldn't take the adhd stimulant drug to study ps its also not classified as a Nootropic. To tell you the truth I'm having a hard time believing your what you say you are based on the information you put out. I can believe the English lit degree.

Ps you did say there is no evidence to show any improvements made in metal cognition by taking these pills basically you said they do not work.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

reply to post by hypervalentiodine

I'm taking 16 credits buddy. I'm not on the 17 year plan where I only take one class every quarter. It's also in the IT field try taking four classes in the I.T. field
each class requires 4 hours a week of reading and two hours of actual computer time needed to understand the way it's done add in homework, and that's another two hours. That's eight hours a class so times that by 4 and its 32 hours of work on top of working a 40-hour workweek. Do that every week for 11 weeks and tell me if you wouldn't want help as well? I don't need the drug but I would like the help

Try doing a PhD in organic chemistry, then get back to me about how hard you have it.

As I said and as others have said here, if you have to take drugs just to get through your degree, then I'm afraid you just aren't cut out for it.
edit on 8-8-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join