It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill introduced in Vermont : 500$ fee for non-gun owners

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would feel more safe in the streets if I knew everyone had a gun. Something about the concept of M.A.D. that just seems to work with people. I am a firm believer that 99.99% of all people do not want to harm other people (especially if they are going to get shot)... They just want to take advantage of them and exploit them for money.
edit on 7-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If this bill was being passed in the south then you all would be bashing the heck out of the south by calling them everything you could like "Hillbilly", "Redneck","Inbred" and every other insult you could think of, but look at you all calm and everything.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Only cowards and woman carry guns. Buy a knife and learn how to use it if your so scared to walk out the front door... I carry my knife everywhere I go no one even knows its on me yet its there whenever I need it, dont need a permit or anyones permission to carry it, and you would be sorry to question me on its uses.

I usually carry two knives at the least one for quick drawing and one for serious damage if needed.. I guarantee any guy coming up to you with a gun probably will never pull the trigger, hes using it to try and scare you into submission but even if they do plan on using it, it takes less than 1 second to draw my knife and slash your wrist open.

I know for a fact guns are more effective and easier to use, but I despise them. I wield my knives because Im proud in the fact that I know how to use them, I enjoy wielding a weapon that takes actual skill to use, not to mention nothing inspires fear like 7 inches of cold steel at your throat.

Not to mention its fun to see the stuff people start when they dont know you are armed, Ive had tons of people try to start # with me and I always just smile and laugh because I know im safe with my blades at my side , and I dont think ive ever met someone who still wants to start # after you pull a blade

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This has got to be a joke? If not then the US is lining itself for being a joke, Citizens being fined for not having a gun, jesus !! If you want to know why the rest of the world sometimes shakes it head at the mad things that come out of the US then this is one of them.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

You never think it's a joke when someone breaks into your home & points a gun to your head or your childs head or your wifes head, because at that point your wishing you had a gun.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Ancient Champion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Time to move to Vermont

Just like "I Am Legend" the safe-heaven zone was in Vermont...
edit on 7-8-2011 by Dinogur because: moar info

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by JustinSee
Thats stupid. And why you feel the need to bash New York at the end I don't know. Its the safest place I have ever lived.

New York: Violent Crime = 4.03/1000. Property Crime = 20.16/1000
Chances of becoming a victim (violent): 1 in 248
Crimes per square mile: 166

Vermont: Violent Crime = 1.35/1000. Property crime = 25.21/1000
Chances of becoming a victim (violent): 1 in 741
Crimes per square mile: 1

Source

A more interesting comparison is made if you look at ALL the states in terms of crime rates per capita:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15dd9017dc1d.jpg[/atsimg]

New York stands at 24th place, about the middle. Vermont is at 49th place with only Maine having a lower crime rate.

US Census Bureau

If I have to get a gun, can I have a Heckler & Koch HK416? They are ideal for home defense and/or hunting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bceda98fec3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Hi was talking about this with my family here in Denmark and this time it is very hard to not

That is properly some of the most stupid we heard from the states this far.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This is just as unconstitutional as making someone pay 500 Dollars for owning a Gun, and I am one of the biggest 2nd Amendment advocates I know. The very Word "Right" implies choice. That is what freedom and Liberty is. Individual choices of the pursuit of happiness. If some poor Liberal bleeding heart doesnt want to own a Gun, that is their choice and Freedom. This is just more coercion, and strong arming by the Government, and the further usurpation of our Rights and Freedoms, as well as a way for the State to extort funds via stated coercion and strong arming of the Citizens of Vermont.

Hopefully there are Constitutional Sheriffs in Vermont who is not enforce such usurpation's of their Constituents Choices as "free" People.

Its very simple. If Government forces anything upon "We the People", they have overstepped their charge, and responsibilities of Protecting the Rights of the People, by nullifying our "inalienable Rights".

No where in any of the Founding Documents. The Federalist Papers. The Anti Federalist Papers. Or the Personal correspondence of the Founding Fathers can there be found any such justification or reasoning of such a Bill.
edit on 7-8-2011 by HermitShip because: add

edit on 7-8-2011 by HermitShip because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Now, THAT may be one of the better ideas I have seen lately.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

@ Seibei
Real smart, bringing a knife to a gun fight.
edit on 7-8-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm a gun owner and I have to say, it is ridiculous to mandate this for everyone. We know that would have never passed, Texas would have done this long ago!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It is stupid indeed.

But if you think it through you can see that it is reactionary in nature. A reaction to someone or something else.

I am also for individual States Rights...the State determining how they choose to live or not live in their particular State..not the Federal Government choosing for them.

Agree with many of the posters that gun ownership is a right....this means also a right not to exercise it.

I am all for freedom of choice. And with choice comes responsibility. In this regard freedom is not free per se. It is the freedom to make choices...and be responsible for them.

I am not sure...of this history...

How did Morton Grove, Illinois make out after passing that anti gun bill..how did their crime rate proceed after the prohibition of guns?? Does anyone know?? Or is this information's being keep out of the public knowledge..suppressed/downplayed from the public spotlight??

In Edit function I am adding this information's after doing some research to satisfy my curiosity.

It seems that the city of Morton Grove, Illinois has repealed the handgun ban because of the Washington D. C. case of Heller vs. District of Columbia. Here this link from the City of Morton Grove, Illinois

www.mortongroveil.org...

What it was about which I was curious is what happened to crime and break in's etc in Morton Grove, Illinois after letting the rest of the nation know that their peoples were unarmed??

On the other hand it is interesting to note what happened in the same light and in that city in Vermont or was i t in Georgia when it became known that so many were armed.

There is pretty much silence about Morton Grove, Illinois in this regard.

My take on this is that the media was all onboard and excited when the gun ban took place but not much afterwords in regards to what happened in the town.

Thanks,
edit on 7-8-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

Its old news. This Bill is was introduced over 10 years ago."as of late". Indeed.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

ILLINOIS NEXT!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

Texas would have done this long ago!

Texas wouldn't have passed a law like this because Texas still believes in The People having freedom to choose.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'll put it to you this way. Burglars invading your home looking to take your hard earned luxuries for themselves will be carrying firearms. Do you want to be one of those people that wakes up in the middle of the night defenseless? You reach for your baseball bat, while he is on the other side of the room, and shoots you in the face before you can even take a step towards him. That doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Criminals are ALWAYS going to have firearms because a gun is what gives them power over a person that has no defense. The only way to level the playing field is to own a firearm.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Its funny because the antis always seem to think crime is where the guns are at. The truth is usually the opposite. I also find it useful to bring up a little place called Kennesaw, GA. Not sure if there are any other towns like it, but perhaps I shall share a link to inform some of you that still dont understand the concept of good vs bad being armed.

25 Years Murder Free

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion
reply to post by malcr

You never think it's a joke when someone breaks into your home & points a gun to your head or your childs head or your wifes head, because at that point your wishing you had a gun.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Ancient Champion because: (no reason given)

Amen

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So.. guns are the only answer for home defense? Ever hear of those new-fangled contraptions that gives off an alarm when someone breaks into your home? Home alarm system.. hmmm... there is a thought!

I wouldn't trust half the people I know with a firearm. And you want to try to force them to have one?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join