It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill introduced in Vermont : 500$ fee for non-gun owners

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well i believe a decent person would be very careful with a gun, but what if one person goes haywire ?
Whats to stop a crazy guy from going to a school and shoot like 10 or more people until someone else with a gun puts him down?
You can order some decent firearms from the internet for less than $500, only a madman would throw out money like that by paying a $500 fine.
They should make guns as easy to buy as a donuts. That would stop the crime as well, coz you can't be sure who has a gun and who doesn't.
edit on 7/8/2011 by Spotless because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Seibei

Seems like you run into alot of situations that require violence to solve...?

I dont carry weapons because i never need them, or run into situations where i might have use for them.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, this seems more than a bit silly. I mean, gun ownership is an important choice. Emphasis on the word "choice".

Actually, I'm having a hard time taking this seriously.
I don't think anything like this would ever go through.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

.44 caliber Remington cap & Ball revolver! Awesome! A good Johnny Reb gun! It must be fun to shoot!

Peace Brother!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

And why would i be going to a gun fight? that has to be the dumbest argument i have ever heard.. A smart man would never pull a knife when staring down the barrel of a gun. I even said a gun is more effective and easier to use, but i still despise them. I always said I was born in the wrong time period with my preference to cold steel.

Besides that, the majority of people that own guns have never used them on someone, and most of them are too afraid to even pull the trigger when it comes down to it.. But besides that, say I was standing face to face with you, arguing over something stupid and neither of us had our weapons out, who do you think has the advantage, gun or knife? IF your thinking gun than you obviously have never been in said confrontation, a knife takes less than 1 second to deploy and slash/stab, in that amount of time you wouldnt even have time to reach for your gun let alone take it out pull off the safety and cock it.. You seem to have no idea what I was trying to say in my post, I know that if i had distance between me and the gun holder I would never be stupid enough to pull my knife, but thats besides the point, the whole reason I carry knives is because I can conceal it extremely easily without anyone knowing, so that said gun holder would have no clue I have two knives at my side so chances are he would have no problem closing the distance between us..

Like i said before, I would never pull a knife unless im ready to use it that very second, I wouldnt pull it out and flash it at the guys face while he has a gun pointed at me, but I have used it and I would again this very second if I had to.. I have no problem with people who carry guns for self defense as that is their preference, I feel safer with knives than i do with guns as that is my preference. I guarantee you would change your mind about knives if someone with proper knowledge of knife fighting showed you how to use one, either that or learn the hard way when you come across someone like that, real knife fighters can slit your wrists and neck before you have a chance to blink.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
People should all be armed (Need some rules on age and mental stability etc of course). In the old days men had a sword, it's the modern ages you need a gun now as it is the sword of old. The ultimate crime deterrent is fear, that fear is the fear that the person you wish to commit a crime against has a side arm as well as any witness (good Samaritan)

The only place that guns need not be is in Congress, Courts and in establishments that serve alcohol. Caught with alcohol or drugs in your system while armed should be the same as drinking and driving. The basic idea is that operating a motor vehicle is like careless use of a deadly weapon so is using guns...They don't mix.

Sei: You're knives are nothing if someone walks out of an ally and points a gun at your face from 6 feet away. You going to rush him?
edit on 7-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Well actually no Ive only been in a handful of situations where I needed my knives, but even then they werent exactly needed but I felt much safer having them..

Ive been carrying knives for over 3 years and i RARELY have to even pull them out of their sheath but I just like the safety of having one, like when Im walking through the street real late at night I dont mind taking my time or walking through the bad areas as I feel safe with them and that is really the real reason why i carry them.. Trust me that last thing I want to do is pull my knife, but If I have to I will..

Hell i wish I could walk around town without them and feel safe, but with the amount of guns/knives/misc weapons that other people carry i just dont feel safe without them. I know alot of people who own guns are the same way, they just enjoy the feeling of safety that comes with owning a weapon, but I can understand not needing one, some places are just safer than other places.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Seibei

You know what? I want a flail. One of those medieval weapons, long shaft with two big spiked balls attached by chains. That will get somebodies attention but a little impractical I must admit. So your knife idea is a great one, besides it is very useful for everyday chores as well. I have seen several stabbings and witnesses didn't even see the knife. None of this crap that you see in the movies. The knife was discreetly deployed, kept from view and used with great effect. I was at a stabbing where one of those cheap steak knives was used. Two stabs and the victim was DOA. Of course all of this is in the defense of your or someone elses life from death or serious injury, enough to warrant deadly force. Last resort stuff. May you never be in such a situation.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I argue knives are more likely to be used in a crime then a gun. The gun is loud and marks you, a knife is a silent concealed weapon... I'd lock you up before the guy with a gun.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Nice to know the world may be ran by morons one day.

Seriously, this world is turning into Idiocracy...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Dude you would be my hero if you carried a flail around for self defence

I have a cheap flail I bought years ago its just a single ball and chain but man does that sucker hurt, im actually scared to use it considering I dont know how to wield one correctly so I have hit myself a couple times lol

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

well this is one sate that has that thinking,er town that is abcnews.go.com... from the link

Town in Utah Requires Owning Guns S AL T L A K E C I T Y, Utah, Nov. 5

A tiny southern Utah town has passed an

ordinance that requires every household to own a gun and ammunition

so residents can protect themselves against aggressors.

Jay Lee, the mayor of Virgin, a town just north of the Arizona border, told KSL-TV that most of the 350 residents already own firearms so there’s lots of support for the initiative.

The town council passed the ordinance after residents expressed fear that their Second Amendment right to bear arms was under fire.
now if all city's would pass this

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
when the government shows responsibility with use of their weapons

then maybe they might get to tell us what to do with ours

til then talk to the hand.

meh.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
Nice to know the world may be ran by morons one day.

Seriously, this world is turning into Idiocracy...

Where have your been? THE WORLD IS RUN BY MORONS! Be advised, this law will never pass in Vermont. Vermont is very extra crunchy granola too. That's why it so cool. The place should be it's own Country with Burlington as the Amsterdam of North America. Nice cash crop for the farmers, they need all the help they can get. USDA is on thier ass with ridiculous federal bullsh$t.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If this is the case then we should charge everyone in the USA a non-intelligent tax and a non-computer having tax and a non-car tax. Because if people are walking and riding there bikes everywhere instead of driving a car and if they are using the phone instead of using Skype or a computer they own then they are just plain stupid and so then they should be taxed.

That is the stupidest bill I have heard yet. Does anyone have any bills to show that are more stupid than this one?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here is some proof I found in search, it comes from Canada and there was also an article out of the UK. More violent crimes with knives compared to guns!

Knives most common weapon used to commit violent crime

In Canada, most crimes reported by police do not involve violence. Furthermore, among those crimes that are classified as violent, most are committed with physical force or threats (76%) rather than with a weapon (18%). When a weapon is used, however, a knife is the most common type.
www.statcan.gc.ca...

200 - Knives seized in two weeks during recent stop-and-search operations in London
10% - Of 11-to 12-year-olds admit carrying a knife in the past year
25% - Of 15-to 16-year-olds admit the same
20% - Of 16-year-olds say they have used a knife with intention of seriously harming someone
3.5 - Times more knife crimes committed in Scotland than in England or Wales
57% - Of excluded pupils aged 11 to 17 admit carrying knives
29% - Of pupils in London have carried knives
Sources: BCS; Metropolitan Police; www.crimeinfo.org.uk; Youth Justice Board

Table 1: Use of knives in murder and attempted murder (Australia)
Murder Attempted murder
n % n %
2001 90 28.9 151 33.0
2002 72 22.7 142 35.5
2003 86 28.6 115 32.0
2004 69 26.1 100 32.1
2005 78 30.1 81 29.9
2006 95 33.8 86 35.7
2007 81 31.8 100 40.3
2008 87 33.3 74 31.4
2009 94 36.0 87 36.9
www.aic.gov.au...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I am reminded over and over that there is no longer an outlet for a discerning and skeptical mind by threads like these here. Most members here would boast the ability to ask questions and find meaning in the obtuse.

This is an obvious hoax from the start, but it is delivering a message that is powerful and wrapped in the underlying question this dilemma would pose.

That question is, "What were those who came before us thinking about when they created the second amendment, and why is it relevant today. Why is it right and just to tax something that was explicitly addressed previously and also became a tennet of our nation?"

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

It's pretty sad how someone who wishes to mock Vermont posts an outdated chain email without checking their facts.

But oh well. Not everyone can be a journalist on ATS.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Why?

I don't want to own a gun. I don't have a place to put it, I don't have time to learn how to use it and I certainly will not pay a "fine" for not owning one.

It's ironic how 2nd amendment folks cry so much about their rights being taken away and yet, they want to take away my right NOT to own a gun?

I have two words for that.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
this guy rocks!

small victory in the 2nd amendment debate!

EDIT:

I hate when i dont read the first 3 posts....

damn it... oh well, this is fake....

if only it was true... it would be awesome.
edit on 8/7/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join