It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill introduced in Vermont : 500$ fee for non-gun owners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The requirement should be that every head of household should own a gun.
But it should not be mandatory.

Crime would go down so fast.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

And this is any better?

It's still a state intrusion into ones life. Mandating what they must have and own.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

LOL! It used to be a necessity to have a gun because of rabid animals, wolves, and whatnot. I don't think we have that many rabid animals running around in New England these days. On second thought...those urban gangsta thugs could be considered rabid so maybe it's a good law after all?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
reply to post by schuyler

Whats your point? New York isn't as bad as all the media and movies would have you believe, and its only certain sections of the city at that

You mean I have to actually explain it to you?? These aren't media and movie statistics. For someone to claim New York is the "safest" place they have ever lived, particularly when comparing to Vermont, is ludicrous. If you'd bother to click on the source you would see these statistics are for the entire state, not just the city. The original claimant didn't say one way or another. New York may not compare to a barrio in LA, but if you consider yourself "safe" in New York you're whistling past the graveyard.

For the rest of you who may have an interest, the site allows you to drill down to the neighborhood level anywhere in the country.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

And this is any better?

It's still a state intrusion into ones life. Mandating what they must have and own.

I don't understand.
Please explain.

Let me help clarify my confusion by stating my position
so you don't have to grasp around in the dark to find my intractable stance.

I am the state.
I am not a CORPORATE person owned by the fed.
This is not a state intrusion to me.
This is me pushing back against the Fed on behalf of states rights.

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hell Yeah !! That,s what Im talkin about.
edit on 6-8-2011 by KingArthur because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

>>And anyone that thinks you should have to own a gun really is as far out there as you can get.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Seems it was an old (2004? "idea"?) I'm sure it was never fleshed out as a bill and brought to the floor for a vote or we'd have heard about it nation wide.

Even though Vermont is home to a very strong secessionist movement.
I wouldn't actually force people to buy guns who are plainly clueless; irresponsible and or just reluctant.

I'm sure this "bill" was mentioned in sarcasm if at all.( a.k.a. "it was a sarcastic joke")

Its pouring rain outside: So lets hear some more "stupid people" comments; it's what I come here for after mistakenly going to Walmart on Saturday afternoon.( That'll dampen your faith in your fellow citizen; I'll tell ya')

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

And the states comprise the Fed.
You're still advocating forcing people to do what you want, at gun point. (The irony, huh?)

Forcing someone to buy a gun or be fined is no different than forcing someone to buy health insurance. Stop trying to rationalize and jump around the concept.

The government has no right to force one to buy health insurance, nor do they have a right to force one to purchase a gun.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I love Vermont! It's hippy dippy meets old yankee! And I don't mean Vermont Yankee...Govenor Shummlin wants that leaky bastard closed! You've got to be armed, cause your out in the country! State Police go home at 2:30 AM. Some bastard tried to steal my neighbor plowtruck at three in the morning one winter, he called me. I grabbed by Beretta .40 cal. and a flashlight., he come out of his house (I swear to god) in his wifes white bathrobe. Now that bathrobe had feathers around the collar...he had a 6" stainless steel .357. Well to make a long story short, we had the thief pissin his pants until the cops arrived. When it was all over I laughed my ass off at the sight of him in that feather collared bathrobe. He looked just like Mae West! So don't screw around in Vermont, cause a Vermonter can take care of his or herself. Yep that's right, knew a feller in Springfield had two flatlanders huntin on his land. Well the Vermonter walks up to them slick as you please ,unarmed and had a chat with em. Two fella's from Massachoozits, an they asked him if he was concerned, them bein armed and him not. Well the old Vermonter looks em in the eye and grins and says see my house back there? And they says' "yep" he says well my missus got a scoped .30-06 pointed at you fellers right now stuck out my porch door and I mean to tell you the woman can shoot! True stories, real Vermont.
edit on 6-8-2011 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I don't like the idea of having to "prove" that I have guns. Next thing they'll want me to register them. It's ALL A DAMN CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!!! EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRACY!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
For all you FLATLANDERS arguing! I said, the Vermont State Police goes home at 2:30 AM. If you call the State Police Barricks, the trooper on call has to get out of bed, put his uniform and drive to your house. Some Towns and Cities have 24 hour Police service, most folks in the country do not. So you have to be self relient AND most Vermonters are. So if you try any funny business after 2;30 up in Vermont, you'd better hope to hell the Troopers or the County Sheriff hurries up, cause God know what could happen to ya? Well a criminal could get shot and disappear into the deep dark woods. One never knows..coy dogs, black bear, and Catamount.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dbarnhart

Ok then with that I`ll retract that statement to the United States in which Vermont is and we have military for doing the job of protecting us against invasion so mandatory gun ownership isn`t really the same. Yet they are given their guns and we are not.

Thanks for bringing that up since I didn`t know it was like that there.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Stop trying to rationalize and jump around the concept.

Ok,
this is no longer a conversation.
I'm done here. I'm willing to listen,
willing to be convinced, but not to someone armed with insinuation.

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Great idea if they give discounts on guns.
The $500 fine could be used to buy two or more guns really.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

LOL! It used to be a necessity to have a gun because of rabid animals, wolves, and whatnot. I don't think we have that many rabid animals running around in New England these days....

Do not bet on that.

I have killed two rabid animals, one about two foot from my neighbor's two year old son. It was within the city limits.

One of the colleges (College of Worchester?) had a bad problem with rabid raccoons. My Aunt was bitten by a rabid raton Long Island and my Mom's Boss was bitten by a rabid squirrel. Both had to take the shots.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

What did I insinuate?
I'm for freedom of choice, the government has no right to tell me I should own a gun.
I personally don't want the legal system recording that I had purchase one, I think even background checks are already pushing it, and to enforce this law it would require a database.

And I bet you they won't delete the information when you comply.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You support this idea of taxing people because they don't own guns? And you want to complain about Obama's healthcare bill and freedom in this country? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
cheer! Finally we get to find out which worthless slut bags we are protecting!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

That is totally crazy. I would never pay $500 because I don't own a gun. What about people who either don't believe in guns or can't get a gun due to felony or mental health? This sounds like just a way to make money off people!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join