It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce 'Significant' Mars Finding Thursday

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkingGoogle
There is no water on Mars and there is no evidence to suggest that there ever has been water on Mars or liquid ANYTHING of any kind.

Well - You must certainly be a skeptic if NASA is actually announcing potential findings, and their reasoning behind it, and you refute it categorically. May I ask for more information on your reasoning?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
saw the video not impressed they really have not said anything we don't already know there is water on mars no really, give me a break If I were obama I would fire the lot of them totally useless nasa what a joke

here I will show you what nasa wont

disclosure now
edit on 4-8-2011 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Does anyone have a link to a video of the conference itself? I want to see and hear this for myself.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree with Phage, I've thought for a long time that there could be water under the surface of Mars that could possibly flow for a bit on the surface before evaporating. There are glaciers on Mars with frozen water, correct?
edit on 4-8-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Meh. NASA is done. All the big brains left years ago, leaving on the bench warmers. Worked with a really smart ex-NASA guy when I was a govt. contractor. We were developing a space trainer. I asked if he'd go back to NASA, he nosed a half a cup of coffee.

And given that the Obama admin has no vision for anything space (no voters in space), no one wants to work for NASA. Hell, I wouldn't. I'm happy teaching physics and day trading.

Why, on earth, would I want to work for a dysfunctional creature like NASA that flails about, subjected to the government whim? LOL. No. Not no, but hell no.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Amazing, Now that you say that. What if we as has been pondered the life or a civilisation once inhabited the survace and was forced undergroung. What if what we are seeing is them literally "flushing" their systems,toilets,Hydraulics or whatever. These "rivers" look uniform in that they all trickle the same way. If say you set up a system of pipes that are in line at the top of the slope it would trickle down in a uniform matter. I can only hope. Either way at the least can we say martian algea?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by TechUnique
I would be over the moon (no pun intended) if NASA announced evidence of previous civilisations on the planet Mars.
We can only hope.

Curious why you think that would be a good thing.

What possible benefits to you think would come from an announcement like that?

Why does an interesting discovery have to 'benefit' anybody? This would be exciting and fun, you must be a boring person (only interested if you benefit from it).
Your comment was weird!
-Wulff

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
Before anyone gets too excited about this water offering the possibility of life on Mars:

"Water salty enough to be liquid on Mars today is too salty for life," planetary scientist Christopher McKay, with NASA's Ames Research Center in California, wrote in an email to Discovery News.

Link

Yeah, that's why we don't have any living creatures living in our oceans!!!
What a dumb comment from Mr McKay! Why does people always compare possible life on other worlds to earth?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Why are people acting like..... seasons on Mars OMG Amazing.....
They teach you in grade school science that a tilted axis and eliptical orbit results in seasons. No observer satellite needed for what everyone knows already.

The water flows are strange looking, enough to soak wide swaths yet never pooling. There must be large amounts under the crust emitting from those natural spring points. Recycling is not possible because there is no rain which begs the question why didn't they run dry and the perma frost depleted of water over the last millions years or is it billions? Should have migrated to the poles in water vapor or lost into space.

Creationists will love this one, that water should have been gone long ago but in a young universe there is no problem with it being there.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

I know life was discovered on Mars in 2008.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I have photos from my "Time-Life" books of the early 60s, showing the seasons on Mars and polar Icecaps.
Tho, I'm a little worried about Earth Human's superiority Complex, exhibited by many posters.
Ho Ho they might have little organisms etc etc, with the inference that "Life" may only be starting on Mars.

If one considers how planets probably cooled, in the early periods of our Solar System, it would be logical to assume that Mars cooled b4 the Earth, perhaps by a billion years or so. In effect, any life that the Earth attained, probably have appeared on Mars Millions of years before. Im not an expert in the field, but wouldnt that be reasonable?

As for life in brine, there are Salt Lakes in Australia that are hundreds of miles from the coast, and are actually Below sea level, that only fill with water ever 10 years or so, but a short time after filling are teaming with life in the form of crustaceans and such which mysteriously appear (Hatch?), after perhaps decades of "Suspended animation" under the sunburnt driedup crust, of a salt lake.

Indeed Life may have already "Evolved" Beyond what we can understand, on Mars...now wouldnt that be interesting.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

If one considers how planets probably cooled, in the early periods of our Solar System, it would be logical to assume that Mars cooled b4 the Earth, perhaps by a billion years or so. In effect, any life that the Earth attained, probably have appeared on Mars Millions of years before. Im not an expert in the field, but wouldnt that be reasonable?

Sure it's reasonable. But life on Earth didn't get very far in it's first millions of years.
Mars may have gotten an earlier start but its "lifetime" was short. There is every indication that most of its atmosphere (and most of its water along with it) was lost more than a billion years ago.

edit on 8/4/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The title from NASA should really say,

NASA Announce 'In-Significant' Mars Finding today.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkingGoogle
There is no water on Mars and there is no evidence to suggest that there ever has been water on Mars or liquid ANYTHING of any kind.

They think they have found evidence of some kind of liquid on Mars....they are going to look into this further.....you claim there is nothing...so prove it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by Phage

I agree with Phage, I've thought for a long time that there could be water under the surface of Mars that could possibly flow for a bit on the surface before evaporating. There are glaciers on Mars with frozen water, correct?
edit on 4-8-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

ya but what keeps recycling the water?

the atmosphere is enough that the ice caps can recede and grow, right?

it snows on mars, there is frost.

so, flowing water might be seasonal but not just disappear into space.

i'd like to hear the conference also.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
So what the hell happened?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

The polar caps are composed almost, if not entirely, of CO2 ice.

The only snow observed on Mars evaporated (sublimated, as expected) long before it reached the surface.

Mars does have a water cycle of sorts but the replenishment of underground sources is problematic. It can't rain. Snow, as far as we've seen, doesn't reach the ground. Frost would tend to sublimate rather than melt on the surface as would snow if it made it there.

It seems that Mars is in the throes of a long, long and very slow death. His atmosphere, including water vapor slowly (very slowly) being stolen by the solar wind.
edit on 8/4/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

well we best saddle up and get a move on before it's all gone!

mars is not cold enough for liquid CO2, so it has to be water, H2O.

i still believe there is flora and fauna and another one!, on mars. nyuck nyuck!

it's dying slowly, slow enough for adaptation/evolution.

hell, don't we have life that thrive on other than O2 and sunlight? not just bacteria.

gotta put boots on the ground coz these stupid rover pics are nothing,

i hope the next rover has a plain ol' destination truth FLIR cam and a mic.

enough with the rocks. lol!!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
It's cold enough for liquid CO2. But like liquid water, the atmospheric pressure is the problem.

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Phage

gotta put boots on the ground coz these stupid rover pics are nothing,

i hope the next rover has a plain ol' destination truth FLIR cam and a mic.

enough with the rocks. lol!!

The last two had infrared filters (thermal imaging is a problem). So does the next. And a lot more.
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

Sorry, no mic, but one has been developed.
planetary.org...

edit on 8/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
phage..

Surely there could be water trapped permanently below the surface, safe from atmospheric blow off..

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join