It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce 'Significant' Mars Finding Thursday

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by TechUnique
I would be over the moon (no pun intended) if NASA announced evidence of previous civilisations on the planet Mars.
We can only hope.

Curious why you think that would be a good thing.

What possible benefits to you think would come from an announcement like that?

No..the question is what benefits would'nt come from that..are you kidding me?? An announcement of a previous civilization on Mars would turn our society on it's head. Such questions as...who were they? did they flee to Earth after some catastrophe?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
As much as I would love this to be something significant I am not getting my hopes up becuase remember NASA is in the game to the have been covering up information for a very long time from the general public.. So I wouldnt get your hopes up to much remember the last time they said they found an amazing new discovery and it turned out just being that they found a bacteria that can grow in extreme conditions.... I am sure with out a doubt they have much much evidence on ETs which they and the government deem not acceptable for our society and then go off and experiment on the technology... Our race could have benefited long ago from them releasing and acknowledging the visitation and evidence of other civilisations yet they keep us dumbed down in a lower state of consciousness they make us feel as though we are alone, which is impossible and they withhold important information about the universe.... Then again maybe NASA will suprise me... But I am not expecting much it will probably be that they have found defininte evidence that water was once on mars.. They will not reveal something amazing.. I bet they have found some pretty wierd stuff on mars that point to another civilisation.. Thats why the we were only ever shown one image from the mars Rover...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The difference here is that they think they found flowing SALT WATER.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here's the Full Press Release from Nasa's webpage.

RELEASE : 11-245

NASA Spacecraft Data Suggest Water Flowing On Mars

WASHINGTON -- Observations from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) have revealed possible flowing water during the warmest months on Mars.

"NASA's Mars Exploration Program keeps bringing us closer to determining whether the Red Planet could harbor life in some form," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said, "and it reaffirms Mars as an important future destination for human exploration."

Dark, finger-like features appear and extend down some Martian slopes during late spring through summer, fade in winter, and return during the next spring. Repeated observations have tracked the seasonal changes in these recurring features on several steep slopes in the middle latitudes of Mars' southern hemisphere.

"The best explanation for these observations so far is the flow of briny water," said Alfred McEwen of the University of Arizona, Tucson. McEwen is the principal investigator for the orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) and lead author of a report about the recurring flows published in Thursday's edition of the journal Science.

Some aspects of the observations still puzzle researchers, but flows of liquid brine fit the features' characteristics better than alternate hypotheses. Saltiness lowers the freezing temperature of water.

Sites with active flows get warm enough, even in the shallow subsurface, to sustain liquid water that is about as salty as Earth's oceans, while pure water would freeze at the observed temperatures.

"These dark lineations are different from other types of features on Martian slopes," said MRO project scientist Richard Zurek of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Repeated observations show they extend ever farther downhill with time during the warm season."

The features imaged are only about 0.5 to 5 yards or meters wide, with lengths up to hundreds of yards. The width is much narrower than previously reported gullies on Martian slopes. However, some of those locations display more than 1,000 individual flows. Also, while gullies are abundant on cold, pole-facing slopes, these dark flows are on warmer, equator-facing slopes.

The images show flows lengthen and darken on rocky equator-facing slopes from late spring to early fall. The seasonality, latitude distribution and brightness changes suggest a volatile material is involved, but there is no direct detection of one. The settings are too warm for carbon-dioxide frost and, at some sites, too cold for pure water. This suggests the action of brines which have lower freezing points. Salt deposits over much of Mars indicate brines were abundant in Mars' past. These recent observations suggest brines still may form near the surface today in limited times and places.

When researchers checked flow-marked slopes with the orbiter's Compact Reconnaissance Imaging Spectrometer for Mars (CRISM), no sign of water appeared. The features may quickly dry on the surface or could be shallow subsurface flows.

"The flows are not dark because of being wet," McEwen said. "They are dark for some other reason."
A flow initiated by briny water could rearrange grains or change surface roughness in a way that darkens the appearance. How the features brighten again when temperatures drop is harder to explain.

"It's a mystery now, but I think it's a solvable mystery with further observations and laboratory experiments," McEwen said.

These results are the closest scientists have come to finding evidence of liquid water on the planet's surface today. Frozen water, however has been detected near the surface in many middle to high-latitude regions. Fresh-looking gullies suggest slope movements in geologically recent times, perhaps aided by water. Purported droplets of brine also appeared on struts of the Phoenix Mars Lander. If further study of the recurring dark flows supports evidence of brines, these could be the first known Martian locations with liquid water.

MRO is managed by JPL for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory operates HiRISE. The camera was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. in Boulder, Colo. Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md., provided and operates CRISM.

For more information about MRO, visit:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My guess is they found a giant Grey Alien City...zoomed into some close ups of reptillains visiting the Greys city...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PW229

Yes.
If convincing evidence of life is found it will be announced.
With much and deserved fanfare.

Where water flows, life always finds a way. Even at subzero temperatures, if the water can liquify at the surface, it may do the same below. Even without light, life finds a way. I think we should be looking deeper. But that's just me. I think life already exists there. There have been a few hyped NASA news c0onferences in the past 5 years regarding Mars. Water/ice with Phoenix, the whole arsenic thriving bacteria found in water that many thought was going to pertain to Mars and now flowing water. I think at this point life is there. They are just waiting for the moment when Mars funding is so low they will then get whatever they need to get whatever they want there.
edit on 5-8-2011 by DragonFire1024 because: add

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

evidence of flowing water was the big disclosure.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
ya gotta be kidding me.

what are these people getting paid for?

flowing water, really? how long have they known this?

j.p. skipper documented all this already.

conditions are not what they are telling us on mars.

think of it, the rovers were built to last, what, 9 months and then they last 7 yrs?

really?

in 5 yrs they will announce single celled life, 10yrs multi cellular life forms.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
ya gotta be kidding me.

what are these people getting paid for?

flowing water, really? how long have they known this?

j.p. skipper documented all this already.

conditions are not what they are telling us on mars.

think of it, the rovers were built to last, what, 9 months and then they last 7 yrs?

really?

in 5 yrs they will announce single celled life, 10yrs multi cellular life forms.

Finally telling the truth is a long process my friend, you can't just come out and say you have been lying for decades, there will be a slow build up, we are nearing the end of that build up now.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
"a boy will fill his pail with salty water."

oceans, once?

frozen oceans below the surface.

thawing and flowing to the surface.

eta; how hot does it have to get to thaw frozen salt water under the surface?

after so many years one would think they formulated something about where all the water went and why.

they knew from day 1.

imho.
edit on 6-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tsharp11

Dark, finger-like features appear and extend down some Martian slopes during late spring through summer, fade in winter, and return during the next spring.

What really ticks me off is that these things were discovered many years ago by 'amateurs', and were resoundingly 'debunked' by the 'professionals', because it was apparently more likely that these were shadows, or simple wind patterns, as opposed to what we all knew they were.

What cracks me up is that this is probably not a real press release.... It's more likely a code to suggest to 'certain people in the know' that the Nommo are about to assert a claim on their former territories. Even that, as a suggestion and a lead for those who believe they have purchased their future security, could be a suggestion riddled with disinfo, misinfo and deflection.

Same thing goes (though I believe there could be a massive touch of sadism involved also) with regards to the tragedy on Svalbard Island, Norway, taking place yesterday. The 17 yr old English kid (Horatio Chapple, may he RIP) who was mauled to death by a polar bear. Did you know that Polar Bears are the only creatures upon the Earth that will actively hunt Humans?

Svalbard, Asgard, Vanguard and the Compass. Seriously, these people are already known to be sick and twisted - don''t put it past them; they would kill to release info to certain types.

But after all is said and done... Who really knows anything, by mere observations of that which the universe manifests? One thing is certain - the answers become clearer when we are True to Our-Self (the image of God in us, our highest potential and true nature).

Sha-la-la-laaa. Shambhala.

Mike.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

The expression: 'Behind the Green Door' is well known by those who research the military projects, the 'black ops' and such like.

''In those days the Earth was divided...'', and the Green Race rebuilt the solar system (following War in the Heavens...?)

Phobos/ Daimos? Mars reawakening? Oversized moon? Saturn's poles? Earth's poles? ETC.

We are dealing with an Intelligence that can engineer an entire solar system, an intelligence that can shape galaxies. The ancient race beneath the mountain, left their form aeons ago - yet are restrained to this place by some feat of ascension-aware stellar engineering. Fear no evil.

There IS a force tending the Light at the End of the Tunnel.

I encourage you to listen to that video, as though it were radio in the background of whatever else you are doing.
Unless you happen to like looking at Johnny Depp.
(Not fussed personally, but it's all groovy..)

PS - Though not quoted in the video, I love these lines from Fear & Loathing:

''... so this is the way the World works....''
'' ... there he goes... too weird to live, too rare to die ...''
''... the Great Magnet...'' (etc)

There is much to say, and much to do. We must be ready, for the moves are being made, and they are plain as day. Eyes to see, Ears to Hear.

Woah there...

Mike.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Kinda weird, I thought we knew already about the water cos there are canyons and ancient seabeds. I was honestly waiting for something related to aliens or past civilizations. Oh man, it's gonna take forever for them to tell admit to the general public.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
as I was watching TV tonight, a rare occasion, I realized, with the stock market crash and the debt ceiling raised.. isn't it interesting that NASA comes out RIGHT at the same time 'breaking news' .. there's water on Mars.. LOL ..

Nice mis-direction and deflection I'd say ......but, the problem is, it's becoming a pattern with them .. and WHY would I WANT to go to another planet .. why can't we fix the one we have now ?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhynouk
wow this has come from nowhere,always interested a little excited when hearing new news about whats the goings on on mars.
hopefully we'll get more details as time goes on,this all seems to me to be leading to a manned landing sometime in the next 10 or 15 years,we're getting little bits of info every so often to keep interest in mars in the public eye.

good times

I would say that's why NASA is coming out with this now. With their agency being defunded they have to justify their existence somehow.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbon
I would say that's why NASA is coming out with this now. With their agency being defunded they have to justify their existence somehow.

NASA doesn't have to justify its existence, the Pentagon does that routinely. As for "coming out with this now", NASA's information releases are tailored to fit in with the overall mind# and propaganda campaign waged by the US government on a continual basis.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
The difference here is that they think they found flowing SALT WATER.

ya, and i wonder how they come to that conclusion.

salt water. not sea water? same?

wow, just like that, they know? IR? how?

salt water has a lower freezing point than fresh water but not by that much.

it's significant for nasa, not to most followers of mars.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PW229

No, I understood your post perfectly, and what I'm saying to you is that this "secret" about ET life has been known for decades, but microbial life on Mars wasn't the first, just the most recent.

Part of the plan for easing the masses into this new paradigm is to first disclose microbial life. But they needed to get proof of that before they could disclose it. Let that sink in for a generation. Second phase is to ease us into awareness of intelligent ET life. That's been going on for decades. This Mars disclosure you are suspecting to occur is the newest one, but will be the first official announcement.

Simple life. Intelligent life.

That's the order of disclosure.

edit on 8/7/2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Anyone else see the new Planet of the Apes yet?

Odd easter egg here;
in one scene, you can clearly hear a tv/radio say that flowing water has been found on mars and could support life. also, i think they said they were sending a manned mission to mars.

anyways; kinda a neat synchronization of releases with NASA/Hollywood.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriciusCaesar
Anyone else see the new Planet of the Apes yet?

Odd easter egg here;
in one scene, you can clearly hear a tv/radio say that flowing water has been found on mars and could support life. also, i think they said they were sending a manned mission to mars.

anyways; kinda a neat synchronization of releases with NASA/Hollywood.

All part of the perpetual mind-# and the blending of entertainment with brainwashing and social conditioning/programming. There is not now nor has there ever been water on Mars, and no reason to think Mars could ever support life, now, in the past or in the present.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join