It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Said Rap Music Was Bad??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Your teeth itch

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Unfortunately for every rap song with a sensible message there are 50 more with a message of bling, booty slapping and violence.

True, very true but it seems all music is like that today. I am not a fan of today's music be it rap or rock. I pretty much listen to anything pre 2000.

I notice they still refer to black people, in these videos, as the n-word. Sorry but it just turns my stomach... crass and backwards no matter how much they try and dress it up with the "we have reclaimed the word and used it to empower” nonsense.

Yea I don't get the use of this word and yet when you are out singing along and you say it they give you the look of death. I had it happen and I didn't give a crap. It's a word, who cares. People need to stop getting offended by words. If the word was SOOOOOO offensive to them they wouldn't be calling themselves that. It's ok for them but my god be a white person who says it and look out.

It’s a shame... I like the hip-hop beats and I like rapping, as a style of poetry, but on the whole these guys are overrated, under talented and spread evil like a virus.

just my opinion...

Peace

I like hip hop over rap any day. Hard core "gangsta" (and I use that term loosely) rap is nothing but hate, drugs and filth imo. It's not music, anyone can "rap" about that stuff and ruin words that had normal meaning, like brain. Yeah don't even get me started on their ruining of normal words!!

Apparently if you were a former thug, drug dealer or felon the rap world wants you. Seems to be a common trend amungst them and they STILL Sing about it and then wonder why they end up in jail on weapons chargers. Hello you can't have machine guns just because you are some rapper!

Ok in short I agree

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wow

Anyone care to comment on the POSITIVE raps that i posted in this thread instead of concentrating on the bad ones

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

You should know by now that you can't post just a video and no information.

Sorry I HATE rap and I'm not subjecting my ears to it.
Ways to torture me: rap, techno and the sound of a vacuum

Can you link to at least the words of the songs?

Why are you posting these?

The only thing I can disagree with is the Vacuum.
While rap conveying any message makes my teeth itch, a vacuum left on can lull me into a gentle slumber.

HAHA! Wow that is nuts....

I think my mom waking me up every weekend as a child with the sound of a vacuum at 7am started my dislike. I literally get twitchy at the sound and just want to yell....lol I prefer hard wood floors or tile and if I have to have carpet, I like the shark vacuum that plugs in and is QUIET! LOL!

On topic

thanks for the lyrics my rainbow spitting unicorn

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
reply to post by Suspiria

Your teeth itch

It's just a euphemism.
My teeth don't actually itch.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You people have a weird way of staying on topic but i appreciate the love in the thread and the conversation

Rap music is cool, it's just an expression of how you feel.

Im love ATS
this site is the Best
we debate all day and deny Ignorance!!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Well I guess it shows that more people only see the negative vs the positive.

I know i can't think of a song off the top of my head that I hear at work that isn't all negative unless you go back to 2 Pac.

I liked him and he did sing about issues. I remember my mom taking his CD from me in highschool, she didn't like him. I think she thought I'd like New Kids on The Block for life!

I like his one song "Changes" that is a good one.
I"d post but I can't watch videos right now.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You surprise me. i had you pegged as an entirely different type of person. Wether you like rap music or not, a thread about rap has brought us closer together and made me like you
(pause)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Muckster

you are focusing on the bad and not the good. there is a bad element to everything. if you don't like negativity why pay it any attention??
edit on 8/2/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: are

If it was just an "element" then i wouldn’t have an issue... But unfortunately this is not the case... The vast majority of popular rap artist have a massage of materialism, violence, and vanity. They often portray women in a derogatory manner and, i believe, help to widen gaps in society.

You ask me why i pay attention to it?? Really??

Because its everywhere, it’s in movies, adverts, radio plays it... even shopping centres and fast food restaurants... how can i not pay attention to it??

Besides, it is not me i am worried about... i am old enough to see these silly little men in funny clothes for what they are. However, my children cannot, without my guidance, and so i make it my business to pay attention to rap music (along with the many other forms of consumer brainwashing that goes on)

I recommend that ALL parents pay attention to ALL the forms of media that can influence their children.

If this forum was meant to be for Rap fans only then i apologise... i thought that the title "who said rap music was bad??" was an invitation to all opinions on the subject.

Sorry for the mistake...

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

You surprise me. i had you pegged as an entirely different type of person. Wether you like rap music or not, a thread about rap has brought us closer together and made me like you
(pause)

Wow! Who knew rap could do that for you and I? LOL just shows anything can bring people together

Awe I'm glad you changed your mind

Yea people usually think one way til they get to know me. I can be very sarcastic and sometimes people take it the wrong way. Sorry if that happened in the past

Glad we get along now

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Wow

Anyone care to comment on the POSITIVE raps that i posted in this thread instead of concentrating on the bad ones

This confirms my fears... damn... Sorry ProphecyPHD... i really did think this was a thread for debating the issues of rap and its influence on society, both positive and negative!!! Sorry if you fill i have derailed your thread in any way. That was not my intention...

So, in the spirit of goodwill i shall post a few vids from the days when i liked rap

Old and cheesy... just like me

Peace

edit on 2-8-2011 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I apologize my friend. I respect your views and opinions. I just did not want this to be the typical "i hate rap" type of thread but rather a thread that can shed light on the good aspects of the art form. We are all aware of the negative side of rap, let us enlighten others to the positive aspects of it as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I did man! I think dead prez are one of the only hip hop groups worth talking about or listening to, I'm supporting you!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Edit to add:

I forgot Wu Tang and Public Enemy, also EPMD!! my apologies.

Here is some stuff worthy of a listen:

I support you OP, just not the majority of offensive rubbish people try to get me to listen to.

Another edit to add: If anyone is a J5 fan I actually met Charlie Tuna a few years ago while he was doing a wall (graffiti piece) in my home city. I am friends with the guy who took him painting so I got to meet him, he did this giant tuna fish, seriously awesome character.
edit on 2-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Sugar Hill gang are the spice girls of rap, seriously man, look into it.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I realise that... but they are harmless and represent the only time when i actually didnt mind rap. Anyway, probably best if i leave my opinions for another thread.

However, I will add this...

I am a massive Reggae fan... In Jamaica there are many different forms of reggae but the two things i hear about the most is conscious (or righteous) reggae and dance hall. Dance hall is the more hard core of the two, often with harder faster beats and a message of violence, homophobia and sexism. While conscious reggae is far more about social issues, love, peace etc...

I like this because it makes it simple for me to decide what sound systems to follow and what artists to listen to. I know that i can listen to Richie Spice with my kids and not have to worry about offensive lyrics because Richie prides himself on being conscious. I do not listen to elephant man because he rarely has anything good to say.

There are, of course, gray areas but on the whole it works.

I sometimes wish Hip-Hop would take this route and be far more vocal about highlighting the difference between the rappers who wish to cuss and demean women and those who wish to convey an important message without cheap shock tactics.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Word bro, if you enjoy it then enjoy it! Really do enjoy it!!

I just feel very passed it, going back to it would be like moving backwards, it would defy my understanding of physics at that time and be counterproductive..........

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
this thread makes me think of only one video...............www.youtube.com...
2nd

edit on 2/8/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
i know i've said it many a time

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

(Raises hand)

Even if you have a few (very few) positive messages... as a whole.. It's pretty much still junk used to twist the intel and behavior of our youth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join