It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Astronomy Software (which also shows proper star positions depending on time, eg. thousands of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have stellarium and celestia, my question is if there is astronomy software which shows proper star motion and position as they were in the past.

I was very disappointed entering some random dates in Stellarium and it doesnt seem to take proper star position into account? What other, good star software is out there?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

I was very disappointed entering some random dates in Stellarium and it doesnt seem to take proper star position into account? What other, good star software is out there?

Stellarium goes back 100,000 years and you can see the difference in the star positions. Go to Egypt and then go back 5000 years. You will see Orion in a completely different light...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Love that trick. Always makes me feel like I'm pwning the mainstream archaeologists who still claim that the pyramids weren't made around 10,500 BC.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yeah, going back in time pushes Orion's belt stars closer to the pyramid positions. I can't remember the exact time frame which makes them line up best though.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
StarryNight is somewhat considered professionalish.

www.starrynight.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
Yeah, going back in time pushes Orion's belt stars closer to the pyramid positions. I can't remember the exact time frame which makes them line up best though.

If I remember correctly it is between 6-8500 BC. As another poster mentioned, the further you go back, the more they seem to line up.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I use google skymap on my droid..

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by Observer99

If I remember correctly it is between 6-8500 BC. As another poster mentioned, the further you go back, the more they seem to line up.

8197BC is pretty fun to look at.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c87b101aee2c.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 29-7-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
k thx,

so it seems stellarium can do it..maybe i was just not looking close enough. Just for fun, i am also giving starry night a try, just for comparison.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Not sure about Stellarium, but TheSky accounts for not only precession, but the proper motion of any star in the Hipparcos catalogue as well. Version 6 accounts for the proper motion of even more stars to an even greater degree of accuracy, out to 10,000 years.
www.bisque.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I've used all of them in the past. I preferred Starry Night for the newer software. I have some stuff, but unless you have a working 386/486 and a floppy drive, it's no use.

The best is a red flash light, dark skies, and some good, ol' fashioned paper charts.

new topics

top topics

join