It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House won't vote tonight on debt ceiling. Will the Tea Party destroy the Republican Party?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by choppedbrisket

Yes but can we beat the Dems if we splinter

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by David9176

The tea party is affiliated with the Republican party, and by doing what they are doing....not only are they showing a lack of being able to lead....but a lack of compromise and saneness.

The GOP tries to affiliate itself with the Tea Party. And sticking to your principles is a true test of leadership. Leaders don't compromise, they don't waffle and negotiate.

Independent voters are not going to vote for a party that can't even seem to govern itself...let alone the country.
And yet, I'm a registered independent.
Hmmm.

Rocks don't negotiate either but I am not going to vote for one.
I odn't consider playing chicken a leadership moment.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I think it's an absolute possibility that the Democratic party could split as well. Unions are no longer represented by Democrats (at least nowhere near they used to be)...and many democrats have sold their souls to corporations and banksters. There are some Dems who are willing to make cuts to SS and Medicare as well.

If they don't get their S together their fate may well be the same.

The party that grows a sack and starts demanding we fix our trade laws is the party that the people will rally too. People ultimately want and need jobs.

Without more jobs, nothing is sustainable...we are in a downward spiral....drastic cuts to programs that people need is only going to make the problem worse.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I wish I thought you were right...

The Wigs and the Torries have had their run

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The whole thing is fascinating.

It's like the tea partiers are a third party. They don't want to raise the debt ceiling at all. Which by default ... means default.

Interesting times.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I WANT them to have a deadlock. I WANT the US to default, for the two parties to collapse, for the whole thing to melt down.

You don't really want the US to default do you? yes, we need to get our debt under control....but flat out defaulting is completely insane.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The Tea party wants to cut spending,even if it hurts

The whole point of the Tea party is Limited government...less government

Government is the problem

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Sarah Palin sent a warning to freshman Republicans on Thursday not to forget the promises made to voters in 2010, adding her outsized voice to the flurry of last-minute arm-twisting before a key debt ceiling vote in the House.

In a post on her Facebook page from "proverbial politico flyover country," the former Alaska governor reprinted a letter she sent to newly elected members last fall, emphasizing the need to "rein in out-of-control government spending" and "check the growth of spending on our entitlement programs."
www.latimes.com...
"I respectfully ask these GOP Freshman to re-read this letter and remember us 'little people' who believed in them, donated to their campaigns, spent hours tirelessly volunteering for them, and trusted them with our votes. This new wave of public servants may recall that they were sent to D.C. for such a time as this," Palin wrote.

The message does not include marching orders for the proposal offered by House Speaker John A. Boehner that is on the floor Thursday. But Palin has said recently she was not convinced that a fiscal doomsday was imminent if the debt ceiling was not raised by Aug. 2.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I always get a kick out of Sarah Palin when she makes these comments.

She taxed the oil companies in Alaska and had them cut checks to every Alaskan citizen. (last I heard there some in the state were trying to end it). That's her legacy in Alaska....the one "good" thing many people believe she did...yet it's the exact opposite of what comes out of her mouth today.

She's all about staying in the spotlight to make money as there is no way in hell she will ever hold any type of public office again.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Stormdancer777

I always get a kick out of Sarah Palin when she makes these comments.

She taxed the oil companies in Alaska and had them cut checks to every Alaskan citizen. (last I heard there some in the state were trying to end it). That's her legacy in Alaska....the one "good" thing many people believe she did...yet it's the exact opposite of what comes out of her mouth today.

She's all about staying in the spotlight to make money as there is no way in hell she will ever hold any type of public office again.

Haha very true. Attention whore. All about making the money by bashing Obama with no credibility on her end whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Get it over with. There will be 5-10 very hard years but guess what? Unless we get it over with its going to be worse and longer and more nightmarish down the road. Better take our lumps here.

I hope maybe this lesson will withdraw the forces out of Libya.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Who cares about Sarah...I thought this thread was about the dept. Or the Tea party

Can't you haters stay on topic?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So hypothetical, suppose there is another major terrorist attack in the U.S. within the next month or month and a half? Al-Qaeda possibly avenging for Osama's supposed death? Or a homegrown terrorist in the U.S.? What would that do to the economy? I mean, I feel if something happens like this, it would just tip the scales in a major way and how would that affect the debt ceiling and the debt in general or the overall economy?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Raznva

Who cares about Sarah...I thought this thread was about the dept. Or the Tea party

Isn't sarah palin "considered" to be a tea party member in some circles? Kind of makes sense after reading Stormdancers post. If she's telling tea party members not to forget why they were voted in, it has everything to do with the thread.

But I do agree..don't want to turn this into a sarah palin thread either.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Here in lies the problem folks.

We make nothing here in the US on a macro scale.

Our economy is soley based on consumption and spending.

Although we desperately need to cut spending, doing so would equate to stalling out the economy again. Thus, we will have a repeat of 2008-2009 within the next year if spending is cut.

We could potentally get slammed on two fronts. A cut in spending and a downgrade in our debt rating. Hope all of you are out of the stock market.

In sum, what most conservatives cannot grasp is that in order to improve the economy, more money needs to be in circulation and not by the form of tax cuts for the upper 1%. With the consumption based economy we have, cutting spending would no doubt hurt our economy for some time.

Tough pills to swallow everyone. This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. I blame voodoo economics for the mess we are in today.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingAlpha

We need to change our trade policies...it's killing us....along with the wars and tax breaks that were never accounted for.

But it's the trade policies the most.

They increase tariffs, it's instant revenue, and at the same time will encourage job growth here as a new business can now make something and sell it cheaper than someone importing.

Will it makes prices at wal mart go up? Absolutely...but IMO it's the only true answer to fixing the problem...and so far neither party will touch it...although a few do support ending free trade.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Nope. Can't do that. You start adding tarriffs and you start a large scale economic trade war. Not only that, the rich would never go for it because they make their money over seas.

We need to change our trade policies...it's killing us....along with the wars and tax breaks that were never accounted for.

But it's the trade policies the most.

They increase tariffs, it's instant revenue, and at the same time will encourage job growth here as a new business can now make something and sell it cheaper than someone importing.

Will it makes prices at wal mart go up? Absolutely...but IMO it's the only true answer to fixing the problem...and so far neither party will touch it...although a few do support ending free trade.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Will it makes prices at wal mart go up?

There already going up.

It's a sticky situation all around. In the end, the only way we are going to find out what works is to try something. Of course, no one can agree on what that something is.
edit on 28-7-2011 by jam321 because: oops

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekingAlpha
Here in lies the problem folks.

We make nothing here in the US on a macro scale.

Our economy is soley based on consumption and spending.

Although we desperately need to cut spending, doing so would equate to stalling out the economy again. Thus, we will have a repeat of 2008-2009 within the next year if spending is cut.

We could potentally get slammed on two fronts. A cut in spending and a downgrade in our debt rating. Hope all of you are out of the stock market.

In sum, what most conservatives cannot grasp is that in order to improve the economy, more money needs to be in circulation and not by the form of tax cuts for the upper 1%. With the consumption based economy we have, cutting spending would no doubt hurt our economy for some time.

Tough pills to swallow everyone. This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. I blame voodoo economics for the mess we are in today.

Well said. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Cut spending and that only right there hurts the economy. Keep spending where it is, and our deficit will continue to go up. But hey, you always have Helicopter Ben in the wings ready to dump money from the skies with the QEs. Wall street banksters and the big corporation CEOs just love that!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Nope. Can't do that. You start adding tarriffs and you start a large scale economic trade war. Not only that, the rich would never go for it because they make their money over seas.

We are already in a trade war and we are losing our asses because of the policies we currently are using. Cutting taxes is not enough...it will never be enough unless americans are willing to except petty wages...along with the end of minimum wage.

Those are the options.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join