It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House won't vote tonight on debt ceiling. Will the Tea Party destroy the Republican Party?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

House Republican leaders have abandoned plans for a vote Thursday night on raising the debt ceiling. The leaders spent much of the day trying to persuade numerous Republicans to support a bill drawn up by Speaker John Boehner. They halted consideration of the bill just as debate was ending in an effort to find more votes for it. Democratic leaders had said no one in their party intended to support the measure.

news.yahoo.com...

Is the Republican party beginning to collapse? This is the first time I've seen a break in their unity in a very long time.

Despite the rhetoric, this is going to hurt them immensely if they can't even agree on their own bill.....and it's a bad bill anyway.

Basically, it's cut programs that help struggling americans or employ them, or default on our debt and we're all F'd...all in defense of closing corporate tax loopholes and a decline in any kind of increase for revenue.

The majority of people agree loopholes should end, and most believe the wealthy should pay more in taxes if programs for american families are on the chopping block.

They don't seem to care....they are against any kind of compromise....even if it comes to their own party.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

What you're seeing is people voting based on their values versus party affiliation.

T'is why everyone in D.C. is having kittens right now.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Go Tea Party! The Boehner plan was going to still pack on trillions... its time to stop spending!!!!

This would be like reducing drunk driving arrests by raising the blood alcohol level.

I am tired of my taxes paying for illegals and people that dont want to work... at my church there are people that are on welfare and they are driving ESCALADES and BMWs! I couldnt believe it, plus they are asking the church for assistance!

If you folks want to keep paying for their homes (section 8 housing), their free medical care, their food then go ahead and lay down as we spend trillions we dont have. There is ZERO money backing up our dollar. Fort Knox is EMPTY!

Stop listening to the drivel from the lamestream media... its all lies!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

House Republican leaders have abandoned plans for a vote Thursday night on raising the debt ceiling. The leaders spent much of the day trying to persuade numerous Republicans to support a bill drawn up by Speaker John Boehner. They halted consideration of the bill just as debate was ending in an effort to find more votes for it. Democratic leaders had said no one in their party intended to support the measure.

news.yahoo.com...

Is the Republican party beginning to collapse? This is the first time I've seen a break in their unity in a very long time.

Despite the rhetoric, this is going to hurt them immensely if they can't even agree on their own bill.....and it's a bad bill anyway.

Basically, it's cut programs that help struggling americans or employ them, or default on our debt and we're all F'd...all in defense of closing corporate tax loopholes and a decline in any kind of increase for revenue.

The majority of people agree loopholes should end, and most believe the wealthy should pay more in taxes if programs for american families are on the chopping block.

They don't seem to care....they are against any kind of compromise....even if it comes to their own party.

It looks like the meme of 2012 is shaping up now. Time for a restart even though there will be lots of pain.

Boehner bill is a joke. Same with Reid's. What, it cuts only a trillion or so? Its all bull#. The rating agencies want $4 trillion, but both of these bills are not even close. We are going to get a rating downgraded anyways. Our debt is still going to go up. Too many entitlement programs, and bull# wasteful spending and way too many loop holes.

The wealthy should pay more taxes. The Bush tax cuts didn't do a damn bit of good. What good did it do? It basically only helped the rich and big business for the past 10 years continue to evade taxes through loop holes. Essentially, the big CEOs, banksters, and the elites keep on getting more rich by destroying the middle class.

So I say, let them crash and burn now too. Both parties, Republicans and Democrats and the elites. Both are at fault. Now we have it is the tea parties fault too now. lol

Basically we are in a lose lose lose situation. You can't get out of this mess. But who knows. A magic trick could be pulled out, the stock market continues to soar again, the rich keep on getting more rich, big business keps on making record profits with record cash on hand, while unemployment keeps on going up and the middle class keeps getting F*CKED!
edit on 28-7-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What you're seeing is people voting based on their values versus party affiliation.

It's certainly a small portion that believes in those values...a fraction of the Republican party. THere are no Democrat tea party politicians.

The tea party is affiliated with the Republican party, and by doing what they are doing....not only are they showing a lack of being able to lead....but a lack of compromise and saneness.

Independent voters are not going to vote for a party that can't even seem to govern itself...let alone the country.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Good I hope they keep the line... that way, it'll force the scum to show themselves to pass a debt ceiling... meaning democrat and republicans sellouts will have to join forces to pass something.

Screw Boehner, he's a sellout and a hack.

Because guess what, republicans and democrats can still pass anything they want... the number of honest people in the whole congress is less than 40 people...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I hope it gives them pause...

Then they realize,We've had enough

Please give us something,or most will vote third party

Moodys said 4 trillion in cuts or we will be downgraded...

If we split our vote...Obama...the Dems win

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

And how will obamas plan help america again? his plan will further destroy america.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I think the key to change in Washington is to stay undecided....make everyone cater to you and what us everyday people need them to stop this nonsense. With the tea party holding up the house we truly now have a new choice. This isn't about weakening republican party but rather pushing both parties aside. I'm independent, undecided and proud!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think both Boner's and Reid's plans are garbage.

Not a single closure of a tax loophole or any kind of increase in revenue...which is complete insanity if you are expecting American families to take all the pain.

Most people do not side with this....poll after poll shows they want loopholes closed, and extremely wealthy people to pay more in taxes.

They want shared sacrifice....The GOP obviously can't even sacrifice for their sake of their own party.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

The tea party is affiliated with the Republican party, and by doing what they are doing....not only are they showing a lack of being able to lead....but a lack of compromise and saneness.

The GOP tries to affiliate itself with the Tea Party. And sticking to your principles is a true test of leadership. Leaders don't compromise, they don't waffle and negotiate.

Independent voters are not going to vote for a party that can't even seem to govern itself...let alone the country.
And yet, I'm a registered independent.
Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Sacrifice ??? I want them to stand on their hind legs and demand

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Boehner and Reid's plan are almost exactly the same now. Both are scams. Both don't tackle the debt at all. Both fail by A LOT to what the rating agencies want.

Actually I am rooting for the tea party people to hold their line. That is what they were elected. True change. You got the elites on both the Republican and Democrats not doing a damn thing to tackle the real issue here but just kick the can down the road with nothing meaningful being done. Tea party members need to hold their line. And if nothing gets done, than let the whole system crash and burn.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
At this point I am ready for the whol rotten thing to collapse.

I WANT them to have a deadlock. I WANT the US to default, for the two parties to collapse, for the whole thing to melt down.

Get it over with. There will be 5-10 very hard years but guess what? Unless we get it over with its going to be worse and longer and more nightmarish down the road. Better take our lumps here.

The entire society is sick. More and more people without work, and those that have jobs are working in stressful, appalling conditions. Elites selling out business overseas, and flooding the country with illegals. People can barely read and right anymore and there is another thread on breaking news today that 18% of the children in Boston are malnourished because they are too poor for a proper diet?

If that isn't a wakeup call I don't know what is.

Like pulling a band-aid off you got to do it quickly and neatly and it stings but that's the only way forward.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

And how will obamas plan help america again? his plan will further destroy america.

There isn't going to be an Obama plan....and why do you think I would support cutting SS and Medicare? Am I not allowed to criticize Republicans and not be a fan of Obama in the process? If there isn't a straight vote on the debt ceiling...he is most likely going to have to use the 14th amendment to keep us from defaulting.

He put cuts on the table, even put SS and medicare out there....he wanted tax increases as compromise. Republicans wouldn't do it....in fact they don't like to do anything that Obama supports. It's "out with Obama" at all costs.
edit on 28-7-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And yet, I'm a registered independent.

Are you trying to imply that all independents may be tea party members? You may be registered independent but your beliefs sure as hell aren't independent.

I'm pretty sure any independent who is drawing Social Security or Medicare, or has a family member on it, is not going to support someone who wants to destroy it. And as I stated earlier, poll after poll believes in shared sacrifice and that the wealthiest should pay more along with corporations.

The tea party can make it's valiant stand, but it's going to bite them in the ass in the end.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

BWAHAHAHAHA
I'm an indy but yes, uber conservative.

If standing by your principles gets them booted, then that speaks more towards the people doing the "booting" then the people getting the "boot".

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
At this point I am ready for the whol rotten thing to collapse.

I WANT them to have a deadlock. I WANT the US to default, for the two parties to collapse, for the whole thing to melt down.

Get it over with. There will be 5-10 very hard years but guess what? Unless we get it over with its going to be worse and longer and more nightmarish down the road. Better take our lumps here.

The entire society is sick. More and more people without work, and those that have jobs are working in stressful, appalling conditions. Elites selling out business overseas, and flooding the country with illegals. People can barely read and right anymore and there is another thread on breaking news today that 18% of the children in Boston are malnourished because they are too poor for a proper diet?

If that isn't a wakeup call I don't know what is.

Like pulling a band-aid off you got to do it quickly and neatly and it stings but that's the only way forward.

Very well said!
Perfectly written and couldn't have said it better. It's time to crash the party! Let the elites, meaning the politicians and big business who have sold us out suffer. There time is now due. Let their corruption end. So party girl, ready to party?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
No the tea party won't destroy the republican party.
But hopefully they will splinter it into a dozen pieces.
We need more parties.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
In 2004 I felt rather strongly that we were gearing up towards the realization that we were not a two party system but a four party system. The right wing, and the true fiscal conservatives, the social progressives, and the far left. You may not like or agree with my names for them, but I am guessing that you can see my lines of distinction.
I kind of figured that whichever party took the whitehouse in 2008 would remain cohesive through the 2012 elections and that the 2008 losing party would be the first to splinter into its pieces.
I think that is exactly what we see happening now. It will happen on the other side of the aisle too, and, I don't think this is a bad thing. I think four groups gives more room for odd alliances and allows each group to actually be who they are so that the American people can be clearer about what each group is doing and then weigh their own feelings about that. Now, if only I didn't suspect that all power rests with lobbyists in the end, I would think that this made us closer to a functional government, even though the transition could be messy.
But I do think all power rests with lobbyists in the end.
And I haven't figured out how to solve that problem yet.
People smarter than I am tried by limiting and annnoucing campaign contributions, but the lobbyists lobbied that away!

Money makes the world go round and round and down the drain.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join