It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live near a small airport? Move.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Leaden Fallout May Taint Kids

People who live near airports serving small planes are exposed to lead from aviation fuel. A new study now links an airport’s proximity to slightly elevated blood-lead levels in children from area homes.

Small planes (known in the trade as general aviation) tend to run on gasoline, most of which contains lead as an octane booster. These aircraft — used as taxis, personal aircraft and training vehicles — fly out of nearly 20,000 U.S. airports. And as other sources of lead have fallen, the relative share that aviation gas, or avgas, contributes has been rising.

Indeed, the Environmental Protection Agency, estimates: “Emissions of lead from piston-engine aircraft using leaded avgas comprise approximately half of the national inventory of lead emitted to air” — making it the largest contributor to airborne lead in the United States.

So... if you have kids and live near a small airport... probably a good idea to consider relocating....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Chemtrails!!!!!! It's a conspiracy by the Government and TPTB to poison our children!!!!!!!!!!!
/sarcasm

Children 7 and under who lived within 1,000 meters (six-tenths of mile) of an airport — and especially within 500 meters — had higher lead levels, generally, than youngsters living beyond that distance.

Just saying, but, that's pretty close to an airport. Honestly, the majority of small airports are in the country, or in rural areas. While most major airports have a large property area that extends a couple of miles from the main runways. How many children are honestly affected by this "poisoning". I'm not trying to question that the lead could be dangerous, but just the realism of the threat.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Everywhere you go there's something that is bad for you.

Considering the average life span keeps going up I'd say this isn't a big deal.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
Chemtrails!!!!!! It's a conspiracy by the Government and TPTB to poison our children!!!!!!!!!!!
/sarcasm

Children 7 and under who lived within 1,000 meters (six-tenths of mile) of an airport — and especially within 500 meters — had higher lead levels, generally, than youngsters living beyond that distance.

Just saying, but, that's pretty close to an airport. Honestly, the majority of small airports are in the country, or in rural areas. While most major airports have a large property area that extends a couple of miles from the main runways. How many children are honestly affected by this "poisoning". I'm not trying to question that the lead could be dangerous, but just the realism of the threat.

Well I'D have to google map it, but im pretty sure my house is at least within a mile of a little airport. Right smack dab in the middle of the southside. So alot here

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

/sarcasm

Not saying anything about chemtrails at all actually. I'm talking about the fact that the small airplanes use leaded gas, and it is expelled in higher quantities near the airports during take off and landing.
And for miles away from the runway... not true. I live in the main city, and though we have an International Airport with a wide berth - there are 55 small airports in the state, most of them smack in the middle of neighborhoods. I know this because I drive past 5 of them every day. It isn't the large airports with the problem, it's the small airports. The ones that are actually located in the heart of many many rural cities.

And yes, I agree that there are hazards everywhere. Hell, I live next to 6 refineries... and a hazerdous waste facility. The neighborhoods have had increased medical conditions and severe asthma, so many people are moving out. I personally am fine and have no kids... should I move... probably. Will I? Not because of the health hazards. But when you have children that are susceptible to health conditions, or if you are thinking of buying a house as a newly pregnant mother... maybe chose a better location.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeeRZ

/sarcasm

Not saying anything about chemtrails at all actually. I'm talking about the fact that the small airplanes use leaded gas, and it is expelled in higher quantities near the airports during take off and landing.
And for miles away from the runway... not true. I live in the main city, and though we have an International Airport with a wide berth - there are 55 small airports in the state, most of them smack in the middle of neighborhoods. I know this because I drive past 5 of them every day. It isn't the large airports with the problem, it's the small airports. The ones that are actually located in the heart of many many rural cities.

And yes, I agree that there are hazards everywhere. Hell, I live next to 6 refineries... and a hazerdous waste facility. The neighborhoods have had increased medical conditions and severe asthma, so many people are moving out. I personally am fine and have no kids... should I move... probably. Will I? Not because of the health hazards. But when you have children that are susceptible to health conditions, or if you are thinking of buying a house as a newly pregnant mother... maybe chose a better location.

Oh I know it had nothing to do with Chemtrails, I just could see some people thinking that.

As for the others, you're right. But, the threat from leaded gasoline in private planes is nothing compared to the threats against our health that go both noticed and unnoticed by the people and the Governments.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

Absolutely... and I agree with that statement 100%

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well an old highschool tech teacher once told me that jet engine fuel is also leaded, so that's even worse considering how much fuel a jet engine burns compared to piston engines. That's not the really bad part though, when commercial airliners fly over residential areas they use a system which floods the engines with fuel, resulting in far greater incomplete combustion, in order to make the engines run quieter.

So essentially when they are low and slow on approach over the suburbs they are dumping aerosolized leaded fuel out of the engines, all of the time.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
To my knowledge, JET-A does not have any appreciable amounts of lead in it. The amount of lead in 100LL is roughly .56 g per liter. (Source)

Most privately owned piston aircraft are older and have engines based off using leaded fuel. Due to the compression needed on most pistons, fuel without lead is not economically feasible. Yes, piston engines can be converted to accept auto-gas, but is generally expensive and most pilots don't enjoy unnecessary work on their babies.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
...wail hail, i live under the main descent path of fighter jets... my biggest worry is that, since its a training base, a loose wing nut might be my demise...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Strangely enough... I think I would worry about that too. haha Or something slightly larger than a nut (ie the entire jet) coming through my roof

top topics

join