It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smurfs Rotten Tomatoes Score: 0

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Why did millions of dollars get spent on this? Why in anyone's name would someone think replacing a thousand different words with the word "smurf" would be funny? Is anyone taking thier kids? A zero is hilarious and I don't think I've ever seen that at Rotten Tomatoes.

I could say something with "smurf" in it that shows my feelings but why bother?

RT Score: "0"

"What the smurf good is a Smurf, anyway? I mean, other than providing a made-up word like "smurf" that can sub for any smurfing thing you want to say... If this overuse of the word has gotten on your nerves, imagine reading for 85 more minutes."

July 28, 2011Full Review | Comment

Steve Persall
St. Petersburg Times

ColoradoJens
edit on 28-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Yep it seems to be all fart jokes and adult euphemisms using the word "smurf" to me. What a shame...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Thanks for that. If we buy the product, they will keep giving it to us. Amazing how many people consider a lot of the junk put out today to be good. A zero? Has this ever happened before?
I wish Vegas had odds on that...it would be the one movie you could have made a good bet on.

CJ

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I caught about 10 minutes of it on Cartoon Network last weekend and I can safely say it is well deserving of the big goose egg!!! If only they allowed a negative score...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've never seen a 0% score before. It honestly makes me want to watch it just to see how awful it is.

Is there something wrong with me?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Honestly movies period suck these days. I went and saw Transformers 3... and man was it terrible. It was basically Transformers 1 Again, which would have been a much less decisive title. Beyond that though, the only reason why it made as much money as it did was because of the graphics and 3D. That is depressing, because people like me care about plot and story, reality and plausibility. Yeah, I know that big machines that transform into cars aren't realistic, but add some reality to that made up aspect. For example, how come in the movie did only three humans die, vanishing in a cloud of dust, while every Transformer had a bleeding-out seen, and drool coming from their mechanical mouths? Lame. I have a feeling that Smurfs will appeal to the same group of stupid Americans who are in it because of "childhood memories" or great new CGI, without paying attention to what is actually happening in the film.

Yay America!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

If you want awful, watch the movie "Gummo". It was buy far the worst movie I've ever seen. It was the most random, offensive, and un-thought provoking movie ever. But, because it was so unbelievably horrible... I can't help but to think that it is an art. Not many can achieve that low of movie quality. That alone makes me want to show my friends because it actually looks like it would take more talent to create that horrid of a movie than to just make a good one.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

I hear you. Check it out - they don't even really bother to try hard anymore and they know they will make billions. Laughing all the way to the bank...

CJ

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
I've never seen a 0% score before. It honestly makes me want to watch it just to see how awful it is.

Not at all! If it remains at this level (currently only movie-reviewers have posted) I may have to watch it too - can anyone say cult college hit? Dressing up and making it like Rocky Horror Picture Show?

CJ

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Haha yeah I remember. And does that remind anyone of a part in The Matrix?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Originally posted by Goathief

Not at all! If it remains at this level (currently only movie-reviewers have posted) I may have to watch it too - can anyone say cult college hit? Dressing up and making it like Rocky Horror Picture Show?

CJ

I think the people who did the makeup fx for Gargamel WERE drunken college students. Really, it's that bad. My near four year old was watching it and even he thought it blew.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Thanks for the heads up! My 5 year old can't be bothered to watch the ads even...Maybe they are shooting at the 13-22 demographic?

Oh, wanted to ask, Regular Show? Yeee-aahh!

CJ

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There was a certain magic to the old cartoon...

There actually could have been some promise for this one, had it been done kind of like the Alvin and the Chipmunks redux that was a moderate success.

Thing is though (and just judging from the previews), they kind of deviated from what we remember from the show.

First off, where the heck does this "Braveheart" Smurf come from? "Handy" was a major character, where the heck is he at? Only one Smurf has a beard, and that's Papa.

What's up with Azrael being the wrong color? Really, they couldn't find a black or gray cat?

Hank Azaria does look perfect as Gargamel though...

I'll see it (on DVD Redbox, for $1), but only for Nostalgia reasons....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by Goathief

If you want awful, watch the movie "Gummo". It was buy far the worst movie I've ever seen. It was the most random, offensive, and un-thought provoking movie ever. But, because it was so unbelievably horrible... I can't help but to think that it is an art. Not many can achieve that low of movie quality. That alone makes me want to show my friends because it actually looks like it would take more talent to create that horrid of a movie than to just make a good one.

How can something be random if it was intended?
Random
Randomness is by definition without intent. I hate people who overuse/misuse random "OMG liek dats soo random". Besides Gummo is a Harmony Korine film it's not supposed to be sunny or thought provoking. It's supposed to be vile, perverse and senseless which is a backlash to the majority of films. Just like life Korine's films can be without reason and disgusting.

If you want the ultimate in senseless depravity you should watch Trashhumpers another Korine film.

BTW: It should be "by far" not "buy far" you aren't purchasing distance.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Actually, randomness is the description an outcome of an event, assuming all outcomes are equal in likeliness. IF you want to know what randomness truly is, please refer to my thread I posted about time (and how randomness affected it) in my signature called Clarification on Time. I know perfectly well what randomness is, and yes, I would consider Gummo to be very random as everything that can possibly happen has an equal chance of happening in that movie. Just try predicting the next scene in that movie--you just can't because it is too random.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The Smurfs was a great cartoon, I grew up watching it every morning as I'm sure many others did too. I'm probably showing my age a bit here but anyway to this day it still holds up well as a childrens cartoon. Not to mention the entire world created in it's original Belgian comic strip, it's an institution and certainly better than most current animated kids shows.
Anyway when I first heard about this movie I thought it was a great idea, a new version could actuall do really well. But then I discovered 'Gutsy Smurf', the new specially created Scottish Smurf for the movie and that was the first alarm bell to me. I then discovered it was an integrated live action film(needs a faceplam here), no good can come from that at all, first Garfield now we will ruin the Smurfs I thought. So after finally deciding to look at a couple of trailers online I can now conclude that I was right and once again hollywood has raped a classic and ruined it. It looks terrible and should not even be allowed to be called The Smurfs.

And that terribly piss poor huff post article is just that. Awful. I have no doubts that the movie is crap but that writer is clearly out of his depth and his entire knowledge of the Smurfs comes from the last paragraph of the wiki entry. Then again it is the huff post(insert another facepalm).

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I saw the advertisement for this film and thought, "aren't they about 20 years too late?"

Also from the previews it looks like a total deviation from the concept of the original cartoon.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Well. Ok, I see your point about destroying an old childhood favorite (they did it to my beloved Scooby-doo); however, it was a horrible cartoon in retrospect, as most were back then (hey He-man! & Scoobs!) I am not too upset by that fact...it is just the fact they made it period - how could it have been good? - Why not come up with something that is half creative and new?

Regarding the "article": Ah, it was just pointing to the source, RT. Not really too heavy a subject for Huff po bashing, imho.

CJ

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Yeah, you are right. This is too silly almost for discussion. I guess I need to work on my anti-little blue people who say smurf all the time prejudices.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Didn't James Cameron already make a CGI version of this a couple years ago? If I remember correctly it won a lot of awards.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join