It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxpayer Money Will Help Homosexual Activists Establish ‘Safe Spaces’ in Public Schools

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

The problem is that we as society are prejudiced against anything we do not like or understand. I agree that certain secs of our society are infringed on and even abused, but to set aside special accommodations for those people is not the way either. My opinion is, to each their own.

The real problem here is that we as a society are totally dysfunctional with each other. People have to learn to ignore certain aspects of life and just deal with what they can control and leave well enough alone as well as others.

Some people need to learn to leave others alone, and others need to learn to quit taking things so personal.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

But, stop with the "oh, MY tax money" crap. Because we gay people pay lots of tax money for THEIR kids.

I should have made myself a little clearer, I guess. When I said it's a waste of taxpayer money, it's not the money itself that irks me, it's the idea that they want to use it to create "spaces" for gays to "retreat" to in a sense, when they need to start focusing on ZERO tolerance of discrimination in schools and focus on the kids who are causing the problem. The schools have trouble doing this, though, because there are still far too many school teachers and administrative staff who have issues with accepting gays themselves. To me, this is a reflection of the homophobia that exists on the administrative level in schools.
edit on 27-7-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The problem is that we as society are prejudiced against anything we do not like or understand. I agree that certain secs of our society are infringed on and even abused, but to set aside special accommodations for those people is not the way either. My opinion is, to each their own. The real problem here is that we as a society are totally dysfunctional with each other. People have to learn to ignore certain aspects of life and just deal with what they can control and leave well enough alone as well as others. Some people need to learn to leave others alone, and others need to learn to quit taking things so personal.

You said it better than I did.

LOL

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Since when is EQUALITY not enough?

Just asking.

Sounds like muslim communities always wanting more than Equality or being treated fairly, they just want their own areas.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Give me a break. Grant money for this and yet kids in my neighborhood have to raise their own money to defer the costs of their extra cirricular activities.

Being gay is an extra curricular activity?

Where are the "Safe Spaces" for the kids in Band, Chess Club, Science Club etc. or How about a "Safe Space" for the unpopular kids to go when they are being terrorized by the athletes.

Do they have a "gay club" that I'm unaware of? You know, a place like band or chess that they can be with others of their kind where they can congregate in peace? Trust me, it isn't easy being gay in school, even today.

Secondly, you are griping about $1,3m over 5 years? How long would it take to spend that money on America's wars? 2 hours? C'mon.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Sounds like muslim communities always wanting more than Equality or being treated fairly, they just want their own areas.

This is where society needs to take charge of their communities. Passing laws and spending tax dollars does not fix anything.

This is where enterprising individuals can make a difference. Create businesses/clubs/organizations that cater towards an intended sec of society. People complain of rights and what not, but what people do not realize is that the Constitution protects us against government tyranny, not other individuals or businesses. That said, depending on the views of the said enterprising individual, they then have the power to allow or not allow other certain individuals access to whatever it is that was created. While it is well within an entrepreneur's rights to deny service or access to others, it is still their right to do so. It may not be a good business practice to turn away customers, but it is still their right.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by jibeho
Give me a break. Grant money for this and yet kids in my neighborhood have to raise their own money to defer the costs of their extra cirricular activities.

Being gay is an extra curricular activity?

Where are the "Safe Spaces" for the kids in Band, Chess Club, Science Club etc. or How about a "Safe Space" for the unpopular kids to go when they are being terrorized by the athletes.

Do they have a "gay club" that I'm unaware of? You know, a place like band or chess that they can be with others of their kind where they can congregate in peace? Trust me, it isn't easy being gay in school, even today.

Secondly, you are griping about $1,3m over 5 years? How long would it take to spend that money on America's wars? 2 hours? C'mon.

Just comparing funding for "safe spaces" vs funding for extracurricular activities.

Yes, some schools do have LGBT clubs. However, I should have elaborated a little more in my reference to Chess Club and Band etc. In my HS days those were the kids who got picked on along with the unpopular kids. None of which had "safe spaces" to seek solace. As far as safe places to gather, the gay kids in my day hung out in the theater after school.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have to say that things are much different right now than they were back when I was in school. When I was in school, no kids would ever admit to being gay. To do that would have drawn every bully to you like a magnet. I have a middle school daughter and I can tell you that it appears students are much less fearful of speaking openly about their homosexuality. People in general are.

Seems to me we've come a long way from where we used to be. It's my belief that this issue is going to work itself out as part of our natural spiritual evolution. It's not going to happen overnight and it certainly isn't going to happen any faster if we continue to act like gays or any other groups need places to escape from the "normal" human beings who don't understand them. Like I said, it's ass-backwards thinking. The change that needs to occur is within the people who are making other human beings feel they are not normal or worthy.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, whatever would one expect from the gay school safey czar Kevin Jennings who teaches fisting at public conventions????? Apparently values clarificaton wasn't enough brainwashing so now they are using a special needs unit to make everyone feel "safe" from the evil taunting of critical peers.

edit on 27-7-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Considering the Prez is threatening to not send out SS checks to seniors, is it too much to ask for this kind of nonsensical spending to be curtailed? It is clear that this spending comes from the Obama admin and the school safety czar Kevin Jennings. This is why Obama wants to raise the debt celing with no spending cuts. He has threatened to stop checks to Seniors which they paid in to the system in order to pay for stuff like this. It's nothing but far left radical agendas running the show here. Saul Alinsky would be so proud of his community organizers.
Ever wonder why Obama pressed for sex ed for kindergartners?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm not going to speak to whether or not this grant is worth our money or not. What I will emphasize is that it is not a freakin' war. This could be a grant to fund doughnuts to hungry police officers and I'd still not care because, while we are spending money killing people overseas, there is no room to complain about our money going anywhere else.

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if it went to drunk Nascar fans who feel they need to watch the race on bigger screens. It simply does not matter while we have nearly 10 armed conflicts draining our economy and making billionaires even more rich.

Didn't Jesus say something about specks and logs and eyes?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I thought we already had these, they were (and still?) called a counselors office. This is just to appease the special interest groups, nothing more.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Your points are valid BUT you're talking hundreds of billions. This isn't even pocket change for The Donald. $1,3 mill? To let some kids have a place to feel safe? I'm sure we can curtail at least one bombing run to pay for this.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
b) that you have a century worth of civics (and actual civility) to catch with

You mean a century of social programming / brainwashing to catch up with. He's better off without it. Too bad yours can't be undone.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid, the test run will cost $1.3 million for 20 school districts (unknown number of schools).

This accounts for a very tiny percentage of the US school system. If this becomes mandatory, it will balloon to a couple hundred million (there is a lot of public schools in the US).

Edit to add:

I just wanted to add, that this is not the time for wasteful spending in the US (if there was ever a good time). This is an issue that could have, very easily, been addressed with a couple of procedural changes and some advisory memos issued to the school districts.

The schools already have everything they need to effect the change with zero additional costs.
edit on 27-7-2011 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
If you wish to create a 'safe space' for one group, you must create 'safe spaces' for all groups.

...if you mean those groups who are bullied and members of which are sometimes killed in hate crimes, then yes, this needs to be considered.

I seriously dislike OP as it promulgates anti-gay sentiment, with all straight superiority built into that and mixed with some choice bigotry.

I'm a flaming heterosexual, but I still remain a human being who understands that if there is inequality and oppression, this may require corrective action.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
This is an issue that could have, very easily, been addressed with a couple of procedural changes and some advisory memos issued to the school districts.

You may be right and it may be a waste of money. The point is, the OP actually demonstrates that it may not be a waste of money of there is so much anti-gay feeling even here on ATS, as evidenced by the OP.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is complete horse#!

There are schools on austerity in which parents have to pay for their kids to play sports etc.... yet we're going to have the fed kick in funds for this? Have the parents of the gay kids pay for their haven. What's the problem? My son can't play football, but the gay kids get federal funds?

edit on 27-7-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

but but but third they scream social security is fully funded til 2025

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Bravo to the CDC for sidestepping all the bigots & phobes. no wonder these poor kids commit suicide, some of these previous post are incredibly cold. I hope and pray none of you have a gay child because they sure aren't going to feel safe with you around. why can't you people step into the 21st century? is it really that hard to let go of your hate? BTW ........ yo OP, Michelle Bachmann would be so very proud of your post; me, not so much

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join