It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxpayer Money Will Help Homosexual Activists Establish ‘Safe Spaces’ in Public Schools

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooksLikeWeMadeIt
Bravo to the CDC for sidestepping all the bigots & phobes. no wonder these poor kids commit suicide, some of these previous post are incredibly cold. I hope and pray none of you have a gay child because they sure aren't going to feel safe with you around. why can't you people step into the 21st century? is it really that hard to let go of your hate? BTW ........ yo OP, Michelle Bachmann would be so very proud of your post; me, not so much

So believing firmly that government funds are not deserving of this = OP or myself being afraid of homosexuals?

What's with the homophobe card? No one is afraid of gay people. We just happen to think that with so many schools on budget constraints, that having the federal government pick up the tab for these kids is wrong and seriously irresponsible.

If these kids have a suicide problem, maybe their parents are doing a poor job. Maybe they can learn to defend themselves. It worked when I was young. Why does the government need to cater to them now? There are more pressing issues. Teachers are being fired! Have the fed save their job, not build a haven for kids who are insecure.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
So believing firmly that government funds are not deserving of this = OP or myself being afraid of homosexuals?

Yep.

Promoting their immoral agenda and recruiting middle-schoolers to be homosexual is more deserving of money than food, or grandma's medicine. Them's the facts.

Here in reality, where I live, we can't afford this # nonsense. Liberals don't live in reality though. They are exempt.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Where are the "Safe Spaces" for the kids in Band, Chess Club, Science Club etc. or How about a "Safe Space" for the unpopular kids to go when they are being terrorized by the athletes.

Just ridiculous when you think that this particular group wants to be treated equally.

I'm sure there were plenty of times when either one of us could have used a "safe space" in high school from time to time. I just dealt with it as opposed to running from it. It never happened again.

Well, I certainly share the sentiment that we need to do more against school bullying in general. Not only is is psychologically and physically harmful, but it's disruptive to the education of all involved.

However, let's be frank here. You don't get beaten half to death and tied to a fence for being in chess club. You don't get harassed into suicide for playing tuba (Maybe it's just my schools, but band members were the ones getting all the tail... Local differences, perhaps.)

There is a problem. This is a fast and easy method for reducing the problem. And right now, I'm afraid you're contributing to that problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

To believing firmly that government funds are not deserving of this = OP or myself being afraid of homosexuals?

"Homophobia" is perhaps the best terminology - It's just that the term "heteronormativism" is nowhere near as easy to say. basic line, it means someone who against homosexuals.

What's with the homophobe card? No one is afraid of gay people. We just happen to think that with so many schools on budget constraints, that having the federal government pick up the tab for these kids is wrong and seriously irresponsible.

That doesn't make any sense. you cite school budget constraints, then criticize an outside agency for providing the funds. it would seem that outside funds are being provided because schools can't afford it on their own. I'm failing to see the problem

If these kids have a suicide problem, maybe their parents are doing a poor job.

Of course, let's not blame the people doing the harassment, here.

Maybe they can learn to defend themselves. It worked when I was young.

Same here. The trouble is, I shouldn't have had to. it did no good for me, and it did no good for the other people. All that hapopened is both sides got scars, deprived themselves of an education due to suspensions and expulsions, and disrupted the learning environment of others.

It is the responsibility of the facility to ensure the safety of its students, and it is the job of the facility to secure a positive learning environment for everyone. A child - a CHILD - should not be forced to become John Rambo just to get by in school.

Why does the government need to cater to them now? There are more pressing issues. Teachers are being fired! Have the fed save their job, not build a haven for kids who are insecure.

Amazingly, it's possible to walk and chew gum.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Gay kids are the ones who are normally being terrorised by the athletes etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Where are the "Safe Spaces" for the kids in Band, Chess Club, Science Club etc. or How about a "Safe Space" for the unpopular kids to go when they are being terrorized by the athletes.

Just ridiculous when you think that this particular group wants to be treated equally.

I'm sure there were plenty of times when either one of us could have used a "safe space" in high school from time to time. I just dealt with it as opposed to running from it. It never happened again.

Well, I certainly share the sentiment that we need to do more against school bullying in general. Not only is is psychologically and physically harmful, but it's disruptive to the education of all involved.

However, let's be frank here. You don't get beaten half to death and tied to a fence for being in chess club. You don't get harassed into suicide for playing tuba (Maybe it's just my schools, but band members were the ones getting all the tail... Local differences, perhaps.)

There is a problem. This is a fast and easy method for reducing the problem. And right now, I'm afraid you're contributing to that problem.

Yes, bullying is the common denominator regardless of the target. Hence my point. Why the special treatment for a specific group when these schools should already have the resources via counselors, school psychologists etc. to confront and deal with the problem in general.

In today's world kids are beating on each other and filming it for the world to see. In some cases just because someone talked to someone's boyfriend or girlfriend. Kids are being harassed in cyberspace and on and off school property 24hours a day. That harassment has been directly linked to the suicides that you speak of whether a kid is gay or not. So, this harassment only adds to the inner psychological problems that kids struggling with their sexual identity are going through. Perhaps the parents need to get involved here as well as the school officials I spoke of.

Singling gay students out in high schools with stickers, posters and special "safe spaces" will only compound any existing problems on campus or will actually create problems where they have not existed before. Playing favorites with specially identified groups is always going to create more trouble because the trouble will always force the hand of progressives. Up next, seperate locker rooms and bathrooms for LGBT students. Ultimately, These kids end up being coddled all the way through school and end up helpless when they hit the real world. Then they must rely on crap like this to shield and segregate themselves for the rest of their lives. Squeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. "loud and proud" as they say although I am beginning to doubt the "proud" aspect.

It was mentioned earlier that this program will be tested and most likely end up as mandatory in schools just like most progressive PC programs do. This is not the answer.

BTW thanks for pointing to me as part of the problem and remember the rest those fingers pointing back to yourself.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Wow! A whole 14,250.00$ per year per school! Yeah, imagine how many missiles you could buy with that!
edit on 28/7/11 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
S/F.Yes,this is far more important than those darn people starving on their meager paychecks(sarcasm).Watch as civilian militancy rises here.I'm furious!Carefully Washington,you CAN be taken...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

14g's for what? Is my question.

For a room? School already has that.

For a supervisor? School already has that too.

So what is the 14g's for? Me thinks this is being made into an issue specifically to get a budget bump. That would also explain why they are only treating a symptom and completely ignoring the causes.

We had a rule (between the kids) back in my day. Nothing happened within visual or audio range of the teachers and administrators. Why? Becayuse you were in a heap of trouble if they caught you...the ENTIRE SCHOOL was the safe zone for everybody. Didn't cost a single taxpayer dime more than what is currently established.

And...good god...if they told your parents...cringe.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

In those days it was the "freaks and geeks" that got bullied by the jocks.

It still is, today.

Schools need to have better anti-bullying programs, across the board. Teachers need to have special training in this area. It's a real problem.
edit on 28-7-2011 by SevenStarrz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenStarrz

In those days it was the "freaks and geeks" that got bullied by the jocks.

It still is, today.

Schools need to have better anti-bullying programs, across the board. Teachers need to have special training in this area. It's a real problem.
edit on 28-7-2011 by SevenStarrz because: (no reason given)

Weird. In my school, the jocks were afraid of the "freaks and geeks". I guess when a swirlie is reciprocated with slashed tires, pencil shankings, and burning bushes in their front yards, it promotes a strange sort of peace between the different castes in high school.

Don't even get me going on how terrifying the drama club was in my school!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Don't even get me going on how terrifying the drama club was in my school!

Haha! That really made me laugh. Well, good for them.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
I have to say that things are much different right now than they were back when I was in school. When I was in school, no kids would ever admit to being gay. To do that would have drawn every bully to you like a magnet. I have a middle school daughter and I can tell you that it appears students are much less fearful of speaking openly about their homosexuality. People in general are.

Seems to me we've come a long way from where we used to be. It's my belief that this issue is going to work itself out as part of our natural spiritual evolution. It's not going to happen overnight and it certainly isn't going to happen any faster if we continue to act like gays or any other groups need places to escape from the "normal" human beings who don't understand them. Like I said, it's ass-backwards thinking. The change that needs to occur is within the people who are making other human beings feel they are not normal or worthy.

NightGypsy - you totally turned me around with these statements. My first thought was to point out that not since the Civil Rights Movement has any one minority had to fight so hard for equal rights (think about it - even though gays are now allowed to marry in NYS, they are still not recognized by the federal government as being married). With that said, your comments above really hit home. I have a teenage daughter in high school and all of her friends, male and female, openly discuss their questions about sexuality and I haven't heard of one who is afraid to admit that he or she might be unsure as to where his/her proclivities lie. It truly is a different world and it's the ones who haven't come along with the program who need to be segregated until they can learn tolerance and humility.

Timidgal

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If these kids have a suicide problem, maybe their parents are doing a poor job. Maybe they can learn to defend themselves.

If you even cared to read the OP, it contains something like "and these people want to be treated like equals". If you did get it and it sits OK with you, you naturally accept that gays are sub-human. Now of course, it's all parents fault that certain members of the society (including you) subscribe to such hideous notions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join