It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxpayer Money Will Help Homosexual Activists Establish ‘Safe Spaces’ in Public Schools

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And people think that we don't have a spending problem in this country.

A homosexual advocacy group is getting taxpayer money to increase the percentage of schools that set up "safe spaces" for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth.

The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN) will receive $285,000 annually for five years to partner with 20 targeted school districts across the country to help keep LBGT students safe and healthy.

The money is coming from the CDC.

Cry me a river...

She praised CDC for “taking a critical step to ensure safe and healthy schools for LGBT youth and a stronger foundation for their future by supporting the creation of truly safe spaces where they can receive support from administrators, teachers or other school staff.”

Safe spaces, Bayard added, “are vital to these students' health, success in school and life prospects."

Stickers and literature!!

The program centers on GLSEN’s “Safe Space Kit,” which includes stickers identifying offices or places within the school building where students will find “an adult’s unwavering support” for their safety. Each kit contains ten “Safe Space” stickers.

The kit includes two posters and a 42-page “Guide to Being an Ally to LGBT Students.” Among other things, the guide offers specific strategies for supporting LGBT students, including how to educate students about anti-LGBT bias and teaching respect for all people.

cnsnews.com...

Give me a break. Grant money for this and yet kids in my neighborhood have to raise their own money to defer the costs of their extra cirricular activities.

Where are the "Safe Spaces" for the kids in Band, Chess Club, Science Club etc. or How about a "Safe Space" for the unpopular kids to go when they are being terrorized by the athletes.

Just ridiculous when you think that this particular group wants to be treated equally.

I'm sure there were plenty of times when either one of us could have used a "safe space" in high school from time to time. I just dealt with it as opposed to running from it. It never happened again.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

This is what you wrote:

Just ridiculous when you think that this particular group wants to be treated equally.

I can assume only one of two things:
a) that you are consciously trolling
b) that you have a century worth of civics (and actual civility) to catch with

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Brilliant!

Nothing furthers tolerance and acceptance like self-imposed segregation.

So I guess this means being homosexual is less like being a disenfranchised minority and more like being special needs?

Just occurred to me... I thought a school was a safe place? I mean, no guns, knives or aspirin. All those metal detectors, counselors, security guards, and administrators and you mean to tell me that my kid isnt safe in a public school?

edit on 27-7-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

This is exactly the kind of rubbish that confirms the complete idiocy of the government and the pressure (and control) placed on it by special interests.

If this were a priority, fine. Raise the cash from private sources to create "safe spaces"

When are these kids actually supposed to use the safe space? I assumed that while in school they were supposed to be in class. You have facilities that service every student such as librarys that are under funded and in disrepair that to target our limited resources on special interests is an outrage.

The CDC? How does this fall under the perview of the CDC? Are they suggesting that these kids suffer from a disease? That is certainly not my opinion, but the funding source is odd. Perhaps they have a bit of slack time before they generate false urgency and try to jam another vaccine down everyone's throat.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Don't most schools have counselling services available anyway, as well as support from the teaching staff?

You're right when you mention the lack of support like this for anyone else. I don't see why gay students should be elevated in priority above other students. If anything it would only serve to ostracise them even more.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Save me the lecture. Been there done that.
You missed the point! Clearly.

I am fully aware of the all of the PC speak and terminology and I am just tired of it when I see stories and waste like this.

My tax dollars don't need to fund this. Hit up Hollywood and Lady Gaga to finance this mularky.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

And with your response it can be assumed that you are completely ignorant to all the other groups that have been getting 'terrorized' and 'disenfranchised' for just as long as the gay community.

Before you ass-u-me....

If you wish to create a 'safe space' for one group, you must create 'safe spaces' for all groups.

That is very costly and kind of ridiculous...what ever happened to the 'safe place' being within visual / audio range of the corresponding adult supervisor (in this case teacher,administrator, etc.)?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hold on. Aren't you folks in the U.S under threat from a debt crisis?

You'd really think they'd prioritise what is done with the taxpayer's money during such tough times.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

And with your response it can be assumed that you are completely ignorant to all the other groups that have been getting 'terrorized' and 'disenfranchised' for just as long as the gay community.

Before you ass-u-me....

If you wish to create a 'safe space' for one group, you must create 'safe spaces' for all groups.

That is very costly and kind of ridiculous...what ever happened to the 'safe place' being within visual / audio range of the corresponding adult supervisor (in this case teacher,administrator, etc.)?

Indeed!
In this case students being picked on should seek out "places within the school building where students will find “an adult’s unwavering support” for their safety"

"Unwaivering Support"... I would think all teachers should be looking out for the safety of any and all students under their care. Period. In this case it will be "special" teachers who have been properly trained to council gay teenagers.

Up next, new definitions of bullying, picking on, harassment,jokes etc. Even more important qualifying the "right" teacher for the job. Perhaps it will only be gay teachers who are allowed to provide a "safe space" for gay students.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Another example of throwing money at a problem that really is not a problem.

This is where society fails. This is a issue that society should be able to fix on their own without creating laws and spending tax dollars.

Just say it and make it so. Public schools are safe places to go. There, it is done, problem solved and now lets get on with life.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
so someone tell me if "Schools" are suppose to be all about everybody is the same

why do they constantly reinforce the peoples differences and at taxpayer expense?

heres a lesson in equality treat everyone the same no special places or priviledges.

but considering who controls the educational system in america this is not surprising.

it would be nice for a change "that the touchy feely pc crowd" would ever act like that claim to be.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Cushman said it seems “undemocratic at its roots to now force those families to fund these groups with their taxpayer money.”

How hypocritical can one be?

How many gay people pay school taxes to fund YOUR children?

Maybe we can allocate the gay people's school taxes to pay for this? Would you like to lose those millions of dollars for your kids?

300,000,000 x .10 = 3,000,000 gay people. Even if they contribute just $1 to your kid's schooling, that is $3,000,000.00 a year. Much leass than the $285,000.00 a year for this.

edit on 27-7-2011 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I wish humanity would grow up and realize that stuff like this does nothing but make us digress. When we stop labeling people and segregating them into groups, we might get somewhere.

As for the taxpayer money, yes it is a waste. Using the money for something like this is giving homosexual kids further reason to feel they are different and not accepted as equal. In my opinion, if there is a reason a homosexual child feels they have to go to one of these "safe places," then this is an issue that should be addressed from where the "unsafe" feeling originated. Who is making them feel unsafe? That's the person who needs to be dealt with so their behavior can be corrected.

The logic behind this is ass-backwards.

edit on 27-7-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Empty Skies
Hold on. Aren't you folks in the U.S under threat from a debt crisis?

You'd really think they'd prioritise what is done with the taxpayer's money during such tough times.

Of course they would.

Right now billions are being spent to manufacture and store $1 coins that will never circulate.

www.washingtonpost.com...
blogs.abcnews.com...

The waste is so far beyond absurd it's even past both maddening and futile.

Rome is burning and the politicians are just throwing gasoline into the flames laughing like Beavis and Butthead.

edit on 27-7-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

i wish they would do away with coinage just think how much money that would save

aint nothing thesedays less than a dollar anymore.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Rome is burning and the politicians are just throwing gasoline into the flames laughing like Beavis and Butthead.

Right now, I have more faith that Beavis and Butthead could manage our tax dollars more wisely.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
As for the taxpayer money, yes it is a waste. Using the money for something like this is giving homosexual kids further reason to feel they are different and not accepted as equal. In my opinion, if there is a reason a homosexual child feels they have to go to one of these "safe places," then this is an issue that should be addressed from where the "unsafe" feeling originated. Who is making them feel unsafe? That's the person who needs to be dealt with so their behavior can be corrected.

As a side note on topic: I agree with what you say. It IS a waste.

But, stop with the "oh, MY tax money" crap. Because we gay people pay lots of tax money for THEIR kids.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hold on a minute guys. Being gay and a teenager is most probably not an easy thing what with hormones and all that and I guess these "Safe Rooms" are just places where other gay kids can meet and not feel threatened. A chess club is not the same thing. How much will you reduce the National Debt if these rooms and stickers are not paid for ???? How much??? Practically nothing..

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Thank you for saying things more eloquently than I could muster at the moment.

I graduated HS 21 years ago and clearly some kids were openly gay back then and to my knowledge everyone knew and could have cared less. They had just as many friends and were involved in just as many activities as the the rest of us. In those days it was the "freaks and geeks" that got bullied by the jocks. I was considered a Prep and often got the ire of the burnouts with big hair. (luckily they weren't very strong and got winded after running 25 yards) We all survived without "safe spaces" and the burnouts survived/lived in the "in school suspension rooms"

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ispyed
Hold on a minute guys. Being gay and a teenager is most probably not an easy thing what with hormones and all that and I guess these "Safe Rooms" are just places where other gay kids can meet and not feel threatened. A chess club is not the same thing.

Who's going to keep homophobe Joe from mocking or beating kids as they enter or leave?

There are support groups in schools all over the country.

How much will you reduce the National Debt if these rooms and stickers are not paid for ???? How much??? Practically nothing..

It's just that sort of thinking that makes it so ridiculously impossible to stop wasting.

So my rent hasnt been paid in two months, not like this $3 coffee is going to make any difference, right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join