It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nicest Cop Ever

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
[not to put a downer on your thread.. but firstly the cop is aware he is being filmed, now with all the anti cop videos lately, which im sure they are aware of.. of course he will be nice..

I get what you mean, most people are like that, but most of the cops on video get upset because they are being filmed.

This cop wasn't upset at all, which gives me the impression he intended to do the right thing and respect Jeremy's rights. Which is exactly what happened.

This is simply a case of "good cop caught on camera" IMO. There should be more like it.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Well, what age can you carry a gun in America?

I have a feeling that those kids wouldn't have been old enough to carry a gun, so yes I do think someone in a similar situation would be able to kill just as many. Truth be told, I think the response from the police in America would a lot quicker though.
edit on 24/7/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
here here lets give it up for officer lyons, my hat is off to you sir . if only everyone the held a public office would perform their duty the way this public servant did.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That cop definately took the high road there. The camera guy was being a dick, and should probably be glad that he wasn't inconvenienced.

Honestly, I am as quick to get upset about abuse of power as anyone, but much of the time it is citizens who pick fights.

A few weeks ago, I had an encounter with a police officer at my place of work about 2 in the morning. We had a power outage city wide d/t thunderstorms and I had to be there to monitor freezers. I was sitting in my car in our parking lot when I saw a car pull up behind me. He got out, just checking things out just like we ask them to. We talked for a second and then he shined his flashlight in my front seat onto my spare clip.

He asked me "Where's the gun that goes with that?"

I picked up some papers in the passenger seat to reveal it. He nodded and said "thats a good place for it. Be safe tonight."

He didn't even ask to see my carry permit, which I do have btw. Just a cop, being friendly, doing his job and setting a positive example.

Some police, and more specifically - police departments - are hurting the image and credibility of the majority in almost all cases I have seen.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That is a very respectful officer! Good job officer!!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Seriously THE coolest Cop to Civ interaction I have ever seen.

This guy was as cool as a cucumber, wasn't at all intimidated by the guy who refused to give his last name. Even advocates the what the citizen is doing.

This world would be a better place if all cops were like him. Just My Opinion

And for the record, being an Aussie, I used to be against the idea of owning guns, but you can be just as violent and irresponsible and damaging with a blade. Now I understand your law, and how it benefits your citizens, and I completely respect what your forefathers have bestowed upon you.

I love the saying:

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

It is the unfortunate case here in Australia, and we only have hand-held weapons (non projectile kitchen knives and bats and all the stuff you use when guns are banned) or homemade (illegal) projectiles...and when time really counts, the police arrive too late.
edit on 24-7-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yea, he was respectful. It's not very hard to do, is it?

Some people really do take their job seriously, and clearly this man does. He did more than what his training and job asked of him. He turned a non-issue, into an even less of a non-issue. Most cops seem to think it's their job to raise the anxiety level no matter what the situation, and it always turns bad. Sometimes going beyond giving someone a bad day.

I've known quite a few cops in my life. How they act, really depends on how paranoid they are at any given time. I've seen some cops, where even though they patrol a town with zero gun violence (let alone on police) for 100 years, they will still think someone is out there to get them. Not realizing it's better that they just relax, and be a little more realistic. The academy does a good job at making 'enforcers', but it makes them too paranoid, and too aggressive. So it usually takes a better man than most, to shake that crap and just be a human being when it's required of them.

Does that mean I'm trying to say all cops should just "let their guard down"? No. You merely pick your battles. If you just blow up every situation you come across, it's eventually going to wear you down and break you, not to mention, what you've done to everyone around you.
edit on 24-7-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Lets help commend Officer Lyons

The Oceanside Police Department is committed to providing superior service to the residents, businesses and visitors of the City of Oceanside. Feedback from community members is essential to achieving that goal. While it is important to point out the things we need to improve, it is equally important to point out the things we do right. It is very rewarding to everyone in our Department to know that people appreciate our hard work and dedication. Should you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the Oceanside Police Department at (760) 435-4900.

The form to fill out looks like this:

and this is the link to the website:

www.oceansidepolice.com...

You can copy and sat the picture and print it out. It will print out normally.
edit on 7/24/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: You can copy and paste the picture and print it out. It will print out normally.

edit on 7/24/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: paste

edit on 7/24/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Got me all teary. Thanks for the nice post!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Wow 65 flags... I got one flag for the same video lol...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Deebo
edit on 24-7-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Well now you have two

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Now you see?

THAT'S the kind of Law enforcement officer we need more of.

Semper Fi, good sir.... Semper Fi.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

not to put a downer on your thread.. but firstly the cop is aware he is being filmed, now with all the anti cop videos lately, which im sure they are aware of.. of course he will be nice..

also i think its crazy that you can walk around with a gun in open view.. not be checked on who you are or if your even allowed to carry a weapon..
what would happen if he walked around the corner after this and killed 6 people? im sure there would be a completly different view on this cop and his actions...

this is the reason why you guys have such a high murder rate there, and most americans seem to advocate the ownership and carrying of firearms... i just dont get it...

edit on 24/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

What would happen if he walked around the corner after this and killed 6 people? FIrst, let's pretend for a moment that this isn't the most moronic statement ever. Well, einstein, if EVERYONE carried, he wouldn't get very far in his endeavor to slaughter 6 people, would he? He'd take maybe one out before the other 5 drew on him and put HIM down. THAT is why there is a second amendment. That and defense against tyranny.

Good thing people like you feel much safer without a gun. It makes slaughtering people much less dangerous to murderers when the targets don't shoot back.

Here's another whatif. What if YOU were one of the 6 people he went around the corner and slaughtered? I bet that while you were laying there on the sidewalk bleeding out, you'd be thinking "Damn, I wish I had a gun so I could have defended myself just then. But since I didn't, my family can sue this guy and get a huge judgment and all will be well. Except of course for the fact that I'll be dead in 45 seconds."

Oh, that's right, if guns were outlawed, criminals who like to slaughter people at random would be forced to rethink their plan, because hey, guns are illegal, right. Ya know, almost as illegal as slaughtering people.

"Golly, Jim, I'm feeling an uncontrollable rage coming on. I think I'll go downtown a slaughter a bunch of people with a gun."

"Can't do that, Bob."

"Why not, Jim?"

"Because, silly, guns are illegal."

"Oh, that's right, Jim. Thanks for the reminder. I guess I'll vent my rage by watching cartoons instead."

This is YOUR reality? Wakey wakey.

edit on 25-7-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
My hat's off to that police officer. The world needs more people like him.

He handled it like a pro and wasn't phased or threatened by the camera. He showed composure and calmness an authoritity without resulting to threats or intimidation.

Also, I think the fact that he'd been a Marine in his life helped. I have the highest respect for people who serve(d) in the armed forces.

Nice vid - thanks for posting!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Thumbs up!

I don't hate cops, just the ones that abuse their power and don't know/respect our rights.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It is good to see a thread that does not wrongly berate the police. Sure there are times the cop deserves all the beratement he gets, but in this case he did his job the right way.

Raist

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Some people just can't admit that good cops exist, why? ...

So what if he was filmed? Why can't a police officer, like any human being be sociable ...? ...

My opinion this video should be shown in the police academy to the new recruits as an example on how to behave to citizens.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
It is nice to see the civilian social management participate more positive with the people they encounter and are to protect. Yes many civilians do have issues with the police force brutality ignorance and its nice to see the positive ones set examples of how they shouldn't lose their cool when interacting. Its noted that he knows he is being recorded but as stated he kept his cool unlike some of the more aggressive interactions observed where the policia felt offended by the civilians recording them.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
That was epic! Now if they were all like that people would actually like the police, be able to feel comfortable around them and appreciate their presence.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
All this video tells us is...America is one scary country.

You seriously need to catch up with the rest of humanity!!

The way I see it is every American that carries a gun is a pussy...
Men settle their differences with fists.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join