It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nicest Cop Ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Woah!!

Did I just see this right here???.....An armed man can walk around with a very dangerous firearm and sounding very suspicious when stopped and asked questions by the police because of his lack of cooperation and you lot think its great???

I'm with MrLondon on this!....I just don't get your sick obsession with guns!!

Wow!!.....Scary is all I can say!.....Very scary!!

It's called protecting yourself when walking through the ghetto !

You must be very very sheltered to think that you can just waltz through the city and it's all good. You need protection.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Well check this guy out, walks around with an ak.
Cops seem to know him by name, and didn't give him to much trouble about it. Now would you rob this guy?

edit on 24-7-2011 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

I would be the first one to bash on a bad cop, but due attention is warranted for good cops. This cop is a shining example of what law enforcement is supposed to do, and how to treat citizens. He is right, a citizen with a permit to carry can be stopped and checked, but not harassed. The officer stopped, checked, and moved along. I think many of us can respect law enforcement that stays within the law, and treats citizen with respect for their dignity and rights. This officer should be placed in charge of the entire department if this is how he operates. We need more leaders with this sense of service to the community it serves.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
Did anyone get why "Jeremey " was pulled over in the first place? No ID? I thought that was illegal in Ca. Not willing to give a last name? Did the officer run the plates and see there was no history? What just happened here?

Going way back to my prelaw days, I remember taking a course on (California) criminal procedure. I distinctly remember that it is the law in California to not be able to produce identification. If the person cannot produce identification then they can be booked into custody to confirm their identity. However, I am not sure there is a requirement to produce a state issued identification card if the officer is satisfied with the identification of the person through other means (e.g. verbally providing name, or SSN). So you are correct in thinking that you must produce identification to an officer in California in certain circumstances. However, the identification can be through other means outside of a state issued ID. The officer stopped him to perform a check of his weapon and not to stop him for suspicious activity that would warrant additional investigation. Carrying a loaded firearm in California is illegal in "prohibited areas." Once the officer confirmed the weapon was not loaded, there was really no need to determine the mans identity. The officer could not be aided anymore in his investigation of a law abiding citizen. The citizens identification would no longer be important to any lawful investigation.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I wouldn't label this video as "the nicest cop ever".

I would label it as follows:
"How ALL Police Officers should respond to the legal act of Open Carry"

It's one thing for a LEO to not know our Constitutional rights.
It's another subject when they know how to treat "law abiding citizens".

But I truly believe that this officer is only acting this way because of the camera.

And I wish all officers acted in this manner.
The way they should act.

Serve and protect.
Not deny and be ignorant.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
cop haters well its not a matter of hate to me its a matter of potential threats to my self.
Now wile i think this cop once he realized he was being taped decided to make a point the very fact he decided to make a point and went over board shows who he realy is.
THE fact is being a TOTAL professional in ANY job keeps things very even keal.
This is one of the few cops who i would total feal at eas with and if all cops had his attitude then the accidental killings and misunderstandings and areast would go way down
sin conclusion HATS OFF officer you are the few the proud the WORTHY .
star? flag dont even know how to but the though is there .
In conclusion this does NOTHING to migate the cops who abuse there power nore does it excuse it nore do i trust them any more now because you found one good cop .
I watched with my own eyes the cops arest a old lady who was trying to protect her self from an agressive man WHI is the ONE I CALLED IN about And i watch from the start to the very end at one point the cop was telling her the man had the right to take her car any time he wanted and this guy didnt even have a licence .
and thats not the only bad cop .
anyway flag for the last good officer

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I think you have a warped view on U.S. American gun ownership, can't say I blame you if most of your information about it comes from ATS.

Banks do NOT give out handguns. THAT would be highly illegal. Not many people "open carry," or even own a gun for that matter. The only "supermarket" that carries guns would be Wal-mart, and those are usually hunting shotguns and rifles.

Gun ownership is something fairly unique to U.S. America, we value that right. Given the expanse of this country, guns are a NECESSITY so far as hunting goes. You would be surprised how many people feed themselves using rifles and shotguns. I've got more respect for the man who can put down a deer, gut and skin them and feed his/her family than I do for the guy or girl talking down the 2nd amendment that thinks they are so much better buying their meat from a store.

It is also a right bred out of our fight for independence. You can thank your own nation for that. The Brits disarmed the local populace while looting, pillaging and generally being butt holes during the 18th century. After our hard-fought independence was gained, we made it a point to make sure that average Joe has the ABILITY to defend himself against anyone that is part of a military occupation.

The original concept was that if the civilian populace is able to maintain their own militias they would never be subjugated again. Given the technological advancements of the present, this is not a possibility, but it does give the civilian populace the means to avoid any hostile occupation of our land.

Jerk-offs will go nuts as they always do, and while I agree that firearms add an invaluable tool to a homicidal maniac's arsenal, it is not reason enough to ban them outright. Living in fear is no way to live at all which is why we value the end of the anthem so much, "Home of the brave!"
edit on 24-7-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Really?? You think these are good cops?? I live in California and have been open carrying for about 2 1/2 years now. These guys VIOLATED 12031 PC for detaining him longer than necessary AND he kept pressing to ID him. If he was a good cop, he would never have stopped him to enforce the unconstitutional 12031 (e) check. Only in California must you carry an UNLOADED gun. This cop was more interested in looking good on Youtube then upholding the 2nd amendment. I consider the good guys the ones who don't stop me or when they are called do not check the gun. California Open Carry Movement

This is the response I got to posting this video on my facebook. My friend is right. The problem here is that all of us have dropped our standards of what a "good" cop is. If they aren't beating the person or tasing him, they're a good cop. Even tho this cop didn't do that, he did still violate both the 12031 PC and he also kept requesting the mans ID.

And to those of you who were saying it's scary that people can walk around with visible weapons. The 2nd Amendment protects our right to be armed. Both against criminals and against the government. We were armed before the government was formed. It's not scary in the least. This individual was very much within his rights, which is why the cop let him go. There are many videos of cops stopping open carrying people in California and almost all of the cops act just like this guy did. They check to make sure the weapon isn't loaded, then say have a nice day.

However, you better know your rights or I suspect these cops will make your day very bad.

Several interesting videos on this channel:
Bay Area Open Carry Youtube Channel
edit on 24-7-2011 by EagleTalonZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The officer, Matt, in the video is being polite, professional and doing his job well. I routinely anymore when I pass an officer raise a hand in greeting and just pass by. It's a dangerous, difficult job that most officers do well. The recent events in OKC are an exception.

The police are doing a job they get paid to do. It's part of attempting to maintain some sense of order in a chaotic world. It isn't perfect but your attitude when near them makes all the difference.

If stopped, I put both hands on the top of the steering wheel and allow the officer to approach and view the interior of the car. This will put the officer at some ease that on this stop nothing unlawful will be attempted. If asked for drivers license and insurance I will hand it over along with my DOD issued retired ID card.

One officer asked me why I handed him the ID card and I told him if clearing TSA security they prefer 2 forms of government photo ID. Since my stop was an official ID check I naturally gave him both automatically. He thanked me and asked what branch of service and I told him Air Force 67-91. He told me he served 4 years and started out as an Air Force Security Policeman.

He ran a check and let me go with a warning. 82 was to fast for a 70 zone and please slow it down. He had enough speeders to catch and didn't need any accidents to work. I just said understood and thanks. He probably saved me a couple of hundred dollars for 12 over.

Good luck in the chaos of driving the nations roads

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Very cool video, nice enough police officer...I think 'Jeremy' was a bit of an idiot. The officer obviously knows his patch well, and luckily for 'Jeremy' basic Constitutional rights lol
I don't know why some Brits have such a problem with weapons...we used to carry allsorts of weapons ourselves right up to Victoria/George V...1890's or so...you know, self-defense?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I guess it's just a matter of time before the Brits ban knives "for the greater good". And then ice picks, then piano wire, then blunt objects, then glass bottles, then....

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm all for the right to open carry or concealed carry if the law allows. I have a concealed permit and so does my wife. I live in Michigan and we have the ability to legally open carry but I never have. What does bother me is people doing this sort of thing just to try to capture a cop flipping out so they can post it online. IMO, there is NO reason to walk around with an unloaded firearm and a video camera ready to roll unless you're trying to get hits on YouTube or looking to cash in on an easy payday for getting your ass kicked by some cops. With all the recent videos of cops going way overboard it seems like people would want to AVOID confrontations with cops, not go out of their way to have interactions with them.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
I'm all for the right to open carry or concealed carry if the law allows...

Amendment II

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It's an unalienable right to protect yourself. Even if your nation deems it "unlawful", it is a right given to you by our Creator. Notice the part that says, "The right of the people to keep..." because we were armed before our government was formed. It goes on to say, "shall not be infringed." Which means they can not CONSTITUTIONALLY take away our arms.

So to conclude, it is definitely "allowed" by law.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My mate is the nicest copper ever, so I bought him an Xbox 360, even he agrees most others are *&&%^&$

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

I'll be honest, I was a little out dated on my info of which states do and don't allow concealed carry. But Illinois still does not allow it, so I guess I got lucky on that one. I wasn't aware that Wisconsin will allow concealed carry as of Nov. 1st. People can hold the Constitution as their bible all they want, but the states still have laws about concealed carry. I don't know if your facepalm was referring to my entire comment, but I guess I could have worded it better. It's still illegal for just anyone to go around carrying a concealed weapon, whether it be a gun or otherwise.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Oceanside is a beautiful city.

It has one of the worst gang problems in California.

Oceanside Crips

The military is forced to live in low income housing.

That is where the Crip's live.

No shock seeing this video.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
I wouldn't label this video as "the nicest cop ever".

I would label it as follows:
"How ALL Police Officers should respond to the legal act of Open Carry"

I agree. Unfortunately we've become so conditioned to expect badge-heavy officers and blatant abuses of our civil liberties that we view these so-called "normal" exchanges as extraordinary.

Our perception of law officers these days is not without merit either, as even the very psychology of the modern term "police" officer bears a very different meaning than the original term of "peace" officer. This is not a coincidence either, as police have gone from being instruments of helping, protecting, and serving the public to being responsible for generating revenue and keeping us all in line.

In my youth, I had many run-ins with the law like many other rebellious young men...and the vast majority of my encounters were anything but pleasant. I've been a victim of unwarranted aggression and outright police brutality before, and I say this being the son of a retired lieutenant who served honorably for over 20 years. My father will be the first to tell you that the "police" force has changed drastically from the time he served to how they interact with the public now. He would see the officer in this video as someone who was just doing their job correctly, even though now his actions seem overly "nice" or "friendly". What a shame...

edit on 24-7-2011 by bigdaddy7ftr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

To be honest, the facepalm isn't so much directed at you as it is our nation. People have given in little by little and allowed the government to infringe on our unalienable rights for so long, that your first sentence made me groan a little. When a state comes in and says, "You can't be armed! That's illegal!" we should always refer back to the Constitution and shut them down. Instead, people have become so disillusioned and so apathetic that our rights are eroding completely.

When I read your sentence, I was only reminded how many people think. Instead of worrying about if it's against state laws, we should all be enforcing the Constitution and carry openly. The government has done a good job of warping our rights. No offense was meant towards you.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Most cops I've dealt with have been more like this. Some cops are total dicks and just get off on the power their badge and uniform affords them. It's a big world with all types. This guy was being totally professional, which is how it should be. Unfortunately the world is imperfect. Some police departments are better than others, too. Depending on where you are or even what station cops come from, you will get different cultures.

New Orleans, for instance, was already infamous for crazy, nasty stuff they would do even before Katrina, Katrina just made it a national news. I used to live in Baltimore County (not Baltimore City), which has a huge police department, one of the largest if not the largest county police dept. in America. In high school I was on the Baltimore County Page program and got to do a ride-along with a cop for a day and also worked at a pizza place that was a cop hang-out. All of my interactions with cops there were much more like this, even when I was getting a speeding ticket or whatever.

I had some friends who got into more serious trouble over the years, but they were treated fairly, even while being arrested for whatever childish, stupid vandalism they were involved in, or getting caught with pot in their pocket. Once, when two of my friends got arrested for smoking pot in a public place, the cops were mostly just joking with them the whole time. One turned to my friend and said, "shake down, take-down, break-down, you're busted!" from the Bob Seger song. Scared as my friend was for being arrested, he still found it hilarious.
edit on 7/24/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This cop should be an example for others to follow..especially rookies
Your behavior is key in how you will be treated .

Keep your hands on the wheel .inform the officer you are carrying with a permit.
When the officer askes for your permit tell him where the permit is and ask if its ok to get your billfold.
Tell the officer where the weapon is..mine was in the console..
If the officer wants the weapon ask if he would prefer you exit the vehicle so he can retrive it himself

The officer is in control do as he asks and mind your mouth and you will have no problems

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join