It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Grid Tampering Will End An Era

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

A recent AP report states that there is a proposal in place to change the frequency various parts of the national electrical grid run at. The frequency differences will be minor, but will force an end to the national grid as we know it. The only way frequencies can be different at all in separate locations around the nation is to not have a grid at all. They are attempting to childishly play this down as something that will mess up clocks. But what it really means is that they are going to dismantle the national power grid entirely. And now I will dissect and shred this article First of all, they are saying that this is going to be a "year long experiment". It won't be. Since dismantling the grid amounts to an act of war, once it is dismantled we will not get it back. This "experiment" is exactly what you would want to do to a nation as a pre-emptive measure before attacking it. When destroying a nation, the basics have to go. You need to destroy the water, electrical, and food supplies to force people to surrender. By running different frequencies in different parts of the grid,the laws of physics clearly dictate that it has to be run in sections, all isolated from each other.

Link Link Link

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

edit on 7/17/2011 by Mirthful Me because: All Caps Title.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is big. Great catch, unfortunately this will fall on deaf ears.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mwc273

If you're going to be lazy in posting, I'm going to be lazy in not reading.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ignorant.

Anyways, I did read it and this is very alarming. I can't believe the things that are happening to this country/

edit: original article;
old.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 17-7-2011 by PatriciusCaesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriciusCaesar
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ignorant.

How so? Because I expect a little more from ATS than just slapping up a copy/paste from an article? Go read the posting guidelines... ATS is better than this.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Sorry Human. I thought it of great importance, preparedness wise. So I posted for ATS to see. As I am not an expert on the power grid, I thought it best to let the article speak for itself. The author makes some very pointy points...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm finding similar "chatter" at non conspiracy sites as well

Assume for a moment that the grid consists mostly of generators attached to steam turbines. These turbines are large, complex pieces of equipment that are designed to run at precisely at 60 Hertz (In the US and North America) 50 Hertz, almost everywhere else) and if they get operated off frequency, it causes undesirable harmonics to be set up in the equipment. Most turbine-generators have no problems running under load within a half-hertz of their design frequency, but the harmonics can cause so many problems that allowable operation outside that range (up to about 1 1/2 Hertz (typically) off design frequency is limited to only a VERY FEW MINUTES over the 40-to-60 year design life of the equipment. Operation at more than 1 1/2 Hertz off design frequency is strictly prohibited and the operation manuals insist that if frequency gets that far off design that the turbine-generator be immediately tripped and removed from service and typically the generators are connected to a relay which monitors and trips the turbine based entirely upon system frequency.

But, also claims that our system is not really inter-connected

This is exactly the situation you have. Utilities East and West of the Mississippi River are not really interconnected. In order to avoid 'interstate' Federal regulation and interference in their affairs ERCOT (the power grid in Texas) stands alone and is not connected to either of them.

However that does not change the fact that they all use generators that run at 60Hz and that can handle a frequency variation of +- 1.5%. Allowing the variations proposed would mess up alot of equipment that are not designed to even do that.

Utility frequency

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwc273
Sorry Human. I thought it of great importance, preparedness wise. So I posted for ATS to see. As I am not an expert on the power grid, I thought it best to let the article speak for itself. The author makes some very pointy points...

Don't apologize, just remember.

What points interested you?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
An act of war... The economy is on the edge of collapse, with the power taken out as well it will be tough on the population. Since 9/11 it does sound like the military is more concerned with their self interest rather than the national interest.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I was a electrician for 40 years and that is the biggest piece of BS i have seen in years.
I ran generators on navy ships for 4 years, and understand frequency, power factor and phase operation on power plants.

I have even paralleled a navy ship with the national grid during a navy experiment to see if the navy ships in port could take over the load of a navy base during a emergency.

Power plants read the line freq before they connect. all you need is one power plant to set the freq and all others follow.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Ok, so why would they do this? I'd be happy with speculation if it's all you have. I don't know, it seems like these guys are just doing something to look busy.

Also, if the genny's self check as they come on line how will they even conduct what they have proposed(allowing more variation)?

As long as it doesn't introduce anymore mains ripple i could care less. Gotta keep that power supply quite for my diy stereo.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I half agree with you.

I'm an Electrician working in power generation and I can confirm to anyone reading this post that systems running anything more than minor differences in frequency (and, to a lesser degree, voltage) cannot be run in parallel i.e. interconnected.

The big issue is phase angle. If a diesel generator running say 415V between phases at 50Hz is connected to mains at 415V and 50Hz "out of phase" then fireworks will likely ensue. This is because the sine wave generated by the diesel generator must not only match mains in wavelength (frequency) and voltage (amplitude) they must both occur AT THE SAME TIME.

Generator controllers capable of synchronising to a live bus are relatively cheap these days and I dare say could probably synch a gen set running at 60Hz (1800rpm) to mains at 50Hz (1500rpm)(assuming a 4 pole alternator) but would be analogous to a scooter governed to run at 60MPH "locking in" to a Mack truck governed to run at 50MPH. Sure a clever system to couple the two "on the go" could be implemented but what do you think would happen when the scooter governed to run at 60MPH is mechanically locked to the truck governed to run at 50MPH?

Easy. The scooter would be burdened with the impossible task of pulling the 50MPH truck at 60MPH.

The bigger generators will simply be fighting the smaller ones if they are all connected to the same grid and an average will naturally be found relative to torque/rotating mass of each power station. In reality, power grids with different frequencies cannot be practically run in parallel i.e. must be separate.

I could go into much more detail but I already feel the need to punch myself.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
reply to post by ANNED

I half agree with you.

I'm an Electrician working in power generation and I can confirm to anyone reading this post that systems running anything more than minor differences in frequency (and, to a lesser degree, voltage) cannot be run in parallel i.e. interconnected.

The big issue is phase angle. If a diesel generator running say 415V between phases at 50Hz is connected to mains at 415V and 50Hz "out of phase" then fireworks will likely ensue. This is because the sine wave generated by the diesel generator must not only match mains in wavelength (frequency) and voltage (amplitude) they must both occur AT THE SAME TIME.

Generator controllers capable of synchronising to a live bus are relatively cheap these days and I dare say could probably synch a gen set running at 60Hz (1800rpm) to mains at 50Hz (1500rpm)(assuming a 4 pole alternator) but would be analogous to a scooter governed to run at 60MPH "locking in" to a Mack truck governed to run at 50MPH. Sure a clever system to couple the two "on the go" could be implemented but what do you think would happen when the scooter governed to run at 60MPH is mechanically locked to the truck governed to run at 50MPH?

Easy. The scooter would be burdened with the impossible task of pulling the 50MPH truck at 60MPH.

The bigger generators will simply be fighting the smaller ones if they are all connected to the same grid and an average will naturally be found relative to torque/rotating mass of each power station. In reality, power grids with different frequencies cannot be practically run in parallel i.e. must be separate.

I could go into much more detail but I already feel the need to punch myself.

This scares me...
I wish nikola tesla was alive, he would fix this!

Maybe they will do this for a while to get us use to not having power, incase a solar flare hits the earth and knocks all the power out for a long time. OK I'm tired and just rambling!
(Probly not making any sense.)
edit on 22-7-2011 by SurrealEzen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join