It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Just finished Anthem by Ayn Rand.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I am reading "The Winter War" by Robert Edwards. It's about the Russo-Finnish War 0f 1939-1940.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Not my usual horror novel choice,but whilst out shopping with my daughter she spotted this book and FREAKED out...so I had to buy it.
A mystery titled..hahaha..
ACCESS DENIED
by Donna Andrews

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Just started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I read Kite Runner last summer and enjoyed it, so I picked this up while using a Christmas gift card today.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm reading To Late To Say Goodbye by Ann Rule.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ok granted I did not read all of the posts here but currently I am back in school and reading Business Writing and Marketing Strategy. But two weeks ago I read the Autobiography of Henry VIII. I loved it. It was over 900 pages but I couldn't put it down.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Truth_Seeker

I met and spoke with her daughter Leslie Rule about 2 yrs ago. Nice lady and has taken after her mother in her quest for true crime.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Reading UFO's In The National Security State by Richard Doolan

Just got my books in from borders today:
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Deaths Acre- Dr.Bill Bass (Forensic Anthropologist)
Cryptonomicon-Neal Stephenson

Waiting for the final book of the Night Watch series to come out in a few weeks.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
War of the Spider Queen Book one: Dissolution

Long title eh? Well considering I have been writing up some ideas for a fantasy novel I figured why not read some actual fantasy. Turns out I had this one in my bookcase and I don't even remember buying it. :w:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons, and Growing Up Strange
by Mark Barrowcliffe...

Here's the synopsis:

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. As a 12-year-old in England in 1976, Barrowcliffe (Lucky Dog) made a fateful choice: he started playing Dungeons and Dragons. Role-playing games were just beginning their rise, and Barrowcliffe, along with 20 million other socially maladapted boys, spent his adolescence in dining rooms and basements as a druid, warrior or magician, throwing oddly shaped dice and slaying monsters. While D&D allowed Barrowcliffe to escape his mundane, much-bullied existence in an all-boys school, it also threw him into an equally cruel nerdiverse of Nazi wannabes, boys with nicknames like Rat and Chigger, and his polymath, Falstaffian best friend who once ate a still-frozen chicken pie on a bet. Barrowcliffe, whose own schoolboy nickname was Spaz, wonderfully captures the insensitivity, insecurity and selfishness of the adolescent male. His eye for the oddities of 1970s British life is equally astute. At times, Barrowcliffe's relentlessly self-deprecating humor descends into a tedium of self-loathing. The book also loses some of its focus toward the end when D&D gives way to heavy metal clubs and tolerant girlfriends. However, these are minor imperfections when measured against the quality of the author's vision. Barrowcliffe renders all the comedy and sorrow of early manhood, when boys flee the wretchedness of their real status for a taste of power in imaginary domains. (Nov.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs Of Death by Charlie Huston.

the guy is a genius:
www.pulpnoir.com

I've read everything he's put out (other than the graphic novel work) and, if you like pulp, he's about as good as it gets.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I bought The Legend of Drizzt: Collectors Edition book one today
its awesome so far and I plan on getting the other two. Thank god for borders cards

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Currently reading Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz

btw I highly recommend both Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Gripping tales male and female accounts of life in Afghanistan (for anyone already not familiar with the author)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The ABCs and XYZs of Beekeeping.
It's a real page turner.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am currently reading. Natures end by Whitley strieber. Its one of his older books but its a great read.

I actually have a line of books waiting to be read.

I recently read the shack, that was okay.

The book I will be reading next is, ummm, whats it called. I think its called the wild by whitley streiber.

A book that I havent finished but find boring so far is The hunger by Streiber.

If you havent guessed I am a fan of strieber books. For the most part.

Ive also been going through my old college philosophy text book again.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I had just finished three books

While America Sleeps:
Self-Delusion, Military Weakness, and the Threat to Peace Today.

The post-cold war United States, historians Donald and Frederick W. Kagan argue, resembles that cozy England in many ways. In the wake of Vietnam, the American government has been reluctant to commit its forces to the purpose of policing the world--though, the Kagans write, "if the United States is not to take a leading part in such a constabulary, who will?"--and has pursued a policy of brief, limited military encounters that involve little risk of incurring casualties. This policy, coupled with a long period of reductions in military spending and staffing, will, the Kagans believe, lead to disaster, as some other Hitler, or Saddam, or Kim Il Jung rises to trouble the world. Acknowledging that historical analogies are only approximations, the Kagans earnestly argue that England's and America's respective patterns of "self-deluding pseudo-engagements" have proved and will again prove to be misguided evasions, and that it will be in the world's ultimate interest for the United States to remain militarily strong and unafraid of a fight.

Though readers may not agree with their conclusions, the Kagans make a convincing case backed by thoughtful historical analysis. --Gregory McNamee

Wilful Murder: The Sinking Of The Lusitania

On May 7th, 1915 a passenger ship crossing the Atlantic sank with the loss of 1200 lives. On board were some world-famous figures, including multimillionaire Alfred Vanderbilt. But this wasn’t the Titanic and there was no iceberg. The liner was the Lusitania and it was torpedoed by a German U-boat.

The Freemasons: The Illustrated Book of an Ancient Brotherhood

Well done to Michael Johnstone for an excellent and visually entertaining and (MOSTLY) accurate view of the craft of Fremasonry. It is really very refreshing to read such an unbiased and factual account of the histoy and virtues behind masonry around the world.

Well worth a read for non- masons to get a true and unbised report on the institution and for masons to get a 'potted' history of the craft

I have just started to read again

Suez 1956: A Personal Account.

As Foreign Secretary in Eden's Cabinet, Selwyn Lloyd played an important role in the events of 1956, and here, in a book that is part memoir, part history, he gives his side of the story. Like others who had experienced Munich at first hand, he saw disquieting parallels in Nasser's provocations, and urged appropriate action. But the real villain to emerge from the book is Eisenhower's Administration, whose cold betrayal of an old ally smarts to this day. In all, there is little here that will cause us to revise our views of the crisis.

[edit on 21/1/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I normally have several books going at a time, but currently I am reading the book of Urantia. Quite interesting I must say!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Understanding Islam: A guide for the Judaeo-Christian reader by Jerald F. Dirks.

Starts up a bit dull but has some fantastic insights about a quarter of the way through.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I started reading Strieber's The Grays but I haven't been able to finish it and it's back on the bookshelf. Couldn't quite get into it. I think Communion was his best... maybe because I was young teen when I read it the first time...I don't know, but none of his other works can compare to it imo of course.

btw..I'm also guilty of reading several books at once. In addition to the Dean Koontz book, I'm also reading a few different gardening books...Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew being one of them.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Started last night, reading 1945 by Newt Gingrich.

Great read so far.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join