It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy Open Carries and Handles it like a G [VIDEO]

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by poet1b

I know right?

Why envdoke your rights. Total idiot moves there. We should just bow down to all who infringe on them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
can u please stop with all this police hatred ...my freaking god. This guy came with a handgun to a police control...the officer is totally right. Its his safety and its kind of strange when everytime police would do their work people would come with cameras and guns .

It really pisses me of how u "revolutionists" think in america. In germany it would be totally normal that this is a critical situation. STop whining about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
i think the two officers were really polite and calm...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Everything that has no limits becomes indistinct..also freedom. If everyone can stand now near cops with handguns and cameras....it will be not safe anymore for ALL.

Freedom also means: respecting limits. Otherwise its not freedom but anarchy. ANd i know this sounds fine for young revolutionists with their i pad and i phone..just because they can not understand what this really means.
I really think its dangerous when we see everything through our "good-bad" filters . If u would not see those guys as cops u would just see 2 human beings who feel a little confused because of a strange behavior and deal with it in a calm way.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by kauskau

Possessing a camera or gun is not evidence of a crime being or about to be committed.

He was compliant when told to back off the scene. The officers were so damn scared that the first officer turned his back on the camera man. He then parked beside the camera man. Be then stalked the camera man. He then got out and talked to the camera man with his supervisor present, without any defensive body language or intonations of his voice. They must have been pretty damn scared for their lives.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No, guys like this, who push their luck trying to create problems by pushing their rights will most certainly ensure that the states revoke those rights due to their abuse. A police officer has the right to arrest you for interfering with his duty, or if you are giving him reasonable suspicion to believe that you are there to do him harm.

interference with public duties:
If a police officer is performing his or her duties and the actor purposefully disrupts an operation, he or she can be charged with interference with public duties. This can include acts such as striking an officer, giving false information in the middle of an officer’s operation, or simply physically being in the way with the intent of impending an officer’s duties.

Reasonable Suspicion:
Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard in United States law, that a person has been, is, or is about to be, engaged in criminal activity based on specific and articulable facts and inferences. It is the basis for an investigatory or Terry stop by the police and requires less evidence than probable cause, the legal requirement for arrests and warrants. Reasonable suspicion is evaluated using the "reasonable person" or "reasonable officer" standard, in which said person in the same circumstances could reasonably believe a person has been, is, or is about to be, engaged in criminal activity; such suspicion is not a mere hunch. Police may also, based solely on reasonable suspicion of a threat to safety, frisk a suspect for weapons, but not for contraband like drugs. A combination of particular facts, even if individually innocuous, can form the basis of reasonable suspicion.

Showing up at a scene involving a police officer, armed with the intent to intimidate that officer, carrying a video camera to create a scene, and cause that officer to feel in danger, especially when the police officer is ticketing this guys girlfriend, I would say caused that officer reasonable suspicion, and granted him the ability to perform a Terry Stop. In most states a Terry Stop allows the officer to perform a Stop and Frisk for weapons, and allows the officer to require you present identification on demand . This guy should have gone to jail, but the officers showed greater restraint then any that I personally know.

Officer Safety is Always Key
As a general rule — consult your agency P&Ps for your own specific guidelines — a civilian may record a police officer’s activity as long as they:

1.) remain at a reasonable distance, and
2.) don’t interfere with the officers’ duties or create a safety concern for the officer, person detained, or another onlooker

Meanwhile — and again, this is merely a general rule! — based on the totality of the facts surrounding the event, the officer should consider the arrest of the person for the appropriate section if the person:

1.)refuses to stay at a reasonable distance, or
2.) creates through their actions a reasonable safety concern

This guy did not remain at a reasonable distance, he approached right up to the car, and had to be told to back off. His actions most certainly did cause a reasonable safety concern for the officer, and as you can see from the majority of the responses in this thread, most reasonable people tend to agree with the officer in this instance. Most likely, the only reason he got away with it was because the supervisor who showed up realized that 1) he was trying to provoke a situation to film it in an attempt to get the officers into trouble, and 2) because the supervisor was not aware how closely this guy originally walked up to the officer on the scene.

He filmed himself on the way to the scene discussing that he was going to try and cause a problem, which shows that he in fact had intent to interfere with the officer, and he had intent to appear as a threat to the officer. If the officer had arrested him and reviewed his tape, things might have gone much differently in this instance. So, lets be honest here, this was really nothing more then, let me see if I can provoke a situation that will allow me to get my girlfriends ticket dropped, and the supervisor felt it was not worth pursuing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

BUT, having a gun (ESPECIALLY in an open carry state) and a recording device in itself, does not constitute reasonable suspicion.

And again, based on the first officers actions, words, intonations, and body language (you can tell a lot by an officers body language), the officer was NOT in fear for his safety.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto
reply to post by vermonster

Again you take a passive-aggressive swipe at me on a completely unrelated subject. You must feel so good knowing how righteous and all-knowing you are. I take it you are from Vermont from your name. You are doing so much to help this world by sitting back bitching about Henry Kissinger from your armchair and assumabley air-conditioned home.

I'm not here defending porky pig or their ignorance in the matter. I am defending COMMON SENSE. There are many good LEO's in the world, and you would certainly not enjoy living in this country without them. Many have been killed in the line of duty over much less. If an officer is making a routine traffic stop and someone decides to park their car, walk over directly behind him and has a weapon in reach, should he just keep his back turned?

Time to come back to reality, everything isn't such a picture-perfect black and white, right and wrong scenario as you seem to picture it in your head. Furthermore, you make assumptions about people and situations you obviously know NOTHING about. I hope it's enjoyable living in your own little world where you know everything.

Sir, I completely agree with you. things aren't black and white.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
BUT, having a gun (ESPECIALLY in an open carry state) and a recording device in itself, does not constitute reasonable suspicion.

You are correct, carrying a gun and camera in that state is perfectly legal in and of itself.

BUT…
Having a gun and recording device, then entering a traffic stop, especially one where someone that you know is being pulled over, DOES constitute reasonable suspicion. As far as the officer knows he is about to pull that gun to allow their stopped friend to flee. Quite a large number of officer shooting happen during traffic stops, where either the suspect themselves or one of their accomplices shoots the officer then flees the scene. Usually this is because the person either has a warrant, no license, or has contraband in the car.

edit on 7/14/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

But, again, as you can see by the officers' actions, there was no reasonable suspicion.

I agree that there could have been. But in this case, there was not, based on the actions of the officer.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

I think this guy done a great job. i think the officer on scene done some good.I know alot of people that are not felons that i wouldnt to have my back too if they are armed.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by AeonStorm

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by Question Fate

Originally posted by vermonster
This is a great example of an American exercising his rights in a police state. He acts calmly even when the officers lie about the law. I think, whether you believe in open carry or not, this is a great example of someone not letting power hungry jackbooted thugs speak like they are anything but, unintelligent underpaid goons.

It's about 10 minutes, enjoy the show.

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

ps The City of Santa Fe should be ashamed of the first officer. I doubt his high school diploma is legit.

verm

edit on July 12th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

although pete was in the right, its not a good idea to walk up on a traffic stop out of the blue with a gun. whole situation couldve been handled better on both sides.

You're out walking while open-carrying and you come up on a traffic stop. What do you think a better idea would be, take your gun and toss it into some bushes? Now wouldn't THAT look suspicious?

Doesn't matter if it's a good idea or not - he wasn't breaking any laws.

You're kidding right??? He should have left his weapon is his vehicle if he was planning to talk to the police directly!

Would YOU approach the police with a weapon in plain sight if all you planned to do was to talk to them about their actions??

YOU are kidding, right? Did you even watch the video? Did the cop act like he felt threatened to you? After he walks up on the cop and then backs away as requested, the cop walks to his cruiser with HIS BACK TURNED. Not something someone who felt threatened would do. He just got an itch to be a supreme A-hole and harass this guy after the fact.

And yes, I would. And I have.

He was acting PROFESSIONAL! My GOD ....If you were in this officers position what would you do??? I would do exactly what these officers did!
edit on 14-7-2011 by AeonStorm because: typo

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strype

Originally posted by Question Fate

although pete was in the right, its not a good idea to walk up on a traffic stop out of the blue with a gun. whole situation couldve been handled better on both sides.

I think it's quite obvious that a point was being made here. I also think "Pete" handled the situation perfectly. In fact, I think more people should do exactly as "Pete" did in this video. If this is what it takes to show the police that they are NOT any better than an average citizen, then so be it. The past few years have taken police rights to a whole new level. As you can see in this video, they love to abuse "false premise," under the guise of "safety." This is not police work, this is systematical abuse. It's as simple as that. I'm extremely sorry if you're unable to see through the garbage. Do you wear a badge yourself, perhaps?

Cheers,
Strype

ok, heres a scenario for you

youre a cop making a routine stop, and I being a black man, walks up to the stop with a camera and gun and starts questioning you.

would you be "honky dory" with me in this situation or be a little suspicious.

or even this, lets up the ante. I then tell you that you have my girlfriend in the car.

yea, perfectly normal... calm.. situation there. happens all the time.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So yes this guy carried a gun into a police stop, just like the police do. The cop asked him to back away and he did. She leaves, he leaves, cop leaves. Cop starts following said "idiot" and tries to harass him. Clearly the first contact led to no one being hurt or threatened. Afterwards the cop says he feared for his safety?
More like his bravado was threatened and wanted to make it into a situation where said "idiot" would not let it escalate.

Then for further push, he brings the big back-up. Both openly lie to this man and he asserts his rights. Anyone calling this guy the "idiot" I think at best is pot calling kettle. And that is the best scenario for them

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This thread is top-notch vermontster!Im still in a bit of disbelief as to how many people wouldve just rolled over for these officers.If you have a good understanding of the law whether it be local, state, or federal you have no reason to fear police,unless you are knowingly breaking the law,this man knew better!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
No, guys like this, who push their luck trying to create problems by pushing their rights will most certainly ensure that the states revoke those rights due to their abuse.

This concept is disturbing.

States do not get to "revoke" rights because people are "pushing their rights".

This guy acted odd no doubt but he didn't do anything illegal or immoral.

A society the fears their own police is pathetic and in danger.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

How did the cop infringe on that guy's rights? The guy approached the cop, not the other way around. I know, I know, the cop lied. Too bad, the guy should not have been there.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

He didn't. Read the post I was responding to. specifically

--Why waste your time arguing with the cop. Show him your ID, apologize for interfering in his traffic stop, and get on your way.

Now this kid has a local cop who has a beef with him, and word will get sent out to all the other cops. He isn't doing himself any favors.

I get pulled over, I have one hand on the wheel, and one on my roll down window, and look straight ahead. I do as the cops asks, treat him with courtesy, as long as he is courteous to me, and I get out of a lot of tickets that way.
--

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Nothing like good old common sense- which seems to be an uncommon virtue these days.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This is related. Guys are "not arrested" but "detained" cause some pussy cops fear for their safety.

Also:
reply to post by defcon5

How is he entering a traffic stop? He is nowhere near it.

edit on 16/7/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join