It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight dead in Cyprus military base blast

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Such a keen interest from day one by the u.s. and now israelis into a seemingly bad accident.

Given that I thought (perhaps wrongly) that Britain and Cyprus had a close relationship I am surprised there is no hint of there being any British interest or involvement in aiding the Cypriot Government.. So I guess I find the keenness you have noted as interesting as I find this apparent silence.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
update:

There seems to be talk in the news that the navy chief killed in the blast was friends with individuals who were linked to the group that led the raid on OBL in pakistan. This is what the news are saying but nothing further other than what i just typed here, this could account for the rapid response by u.s. officials but not sure how the israelis are linked to it, that is if they are linked to it at all. You all do understand that news is somewhat slow as it seems to be a security issue rather than an accident since the explosion took out over 80% of the nations grid, something worth noting in times of war.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

LINK

seems to be causing some distress and anger to cyprus citizens...numbered at about 2000 it says...suppressed with tear gas and stun grenades when they started throwing rocks and chanting for the president to step down...
edit on 12-7-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Yes that's correct, it started at about four hours ago and it is exactly what you posted...Good find.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

this news source says 10,000 so idk what the numbers are...says they got real close to the presidential palace before getting turned back by tear gas though...

The storming of the palace followed a peaceful march by some 10,000 people shouting slogans and carrying placards reading “Negligence is criminal.”

interesting that this is causing so much turbulence in the populace...but I'd be ****ed off too

LINK

It seems they ignored offers of help from the U.S. and Germany over 2 years ago to get dispose of all these munitions...it seems like bureaucracy at it's best...I mean think about it...why would they ignore these offers if they could line their pockets by possibly selling these munitions? seems like the only possible explanation for such utter negligence of these explosives...that or just plain stupidity...or a bit of both...
edit on 12-7-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

Unless its military tactic,, then it only makes sence too do that if other side is going too attack by navy. Which of course would make no sense too anyones benefit.

Me.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What does an accident at a military base in some tiny country that doesn't even have 1 million people, got to do with world war three?

Why would Libya or anyone, attack a bunch of confiscated munitions being stored in Cyprus?

This thread belongs in the breaking news section.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I read in a Greek news site that 2 different sources the first being Israel's newspaper « Jerusalem Post» and the second unnamed American secret service that the bullet shells in the boxes that exploded contained depleted uranium.

full article in Greek

I cannot find the original article in the Jerusalem post that the Greek news site claims that is one of the sourses,but this is something that i expected to hear.

In my first post in this thread i wrote that i hoped that they will not use this tragedy to cause more death.They actually doing it right now.If they manage to "proove" that bullet shells with DU traveled from Iran to Syria they have one hell of a reason to attack both countries.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
There is on going investigantion regarding the D.U. and i guess this explains the reaction and interest from the U.S. and Israel, given that we alrady know they were there from he very first moment one should ask did they obviously know something and they simply were not sharing that information.

These photo's were taken several days prior to the explosion, it visible to all that something was terribly wrong.

The red circle shows the blast radius, in the center of the red circle is the 50 meter wide crater and to the right is the now destroyed power plant.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Yeah i just read that they had noticed that and the cause was propably small explosions inside the container.A general had ordered to throw water on the containers 2 or 3 times a day to avoid a bigger explosion.

The article also mentiond that they asked the Greek ministry of defence to examine some samples of the containers and the Greeks had diclined,because they didn't want to get involved in this case.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
WOW, looking at the pic of that swollen container, why the hell didnt they move it away from the rest of them?
As for the guys walking on them, not something i would fancy doing knowing what was inside them!!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
That's right the US, Germany, France and even the UK offered to destroy those munitions at no expense to Cyprus. The communist government in Cyprus refused the offers.
They only intercepted them because the US requested they do so.
But the communist idiots in power decided to hold on to the munitions until a later date when sanctions on Iran might be lifted and they would return them to Iran.

It is sheer incompetence.
High ranking officers in the National Guard warned about the risks, but their political superiors would not listen.
Now this has happened.

About the claims that one of the guys killed had connections with the team that took out Bin Laden.
It would not surprise me in the slightest, especially if the deceased in question was from mainland Greece.
I don't know if any of you remember, but at one of the last military parades in Athens marking Greek Independence Day, there was a group of special forces that took part. They came up with a chant directed at the politicians of Greece basically sending them a warning. The commander of that group has in the past been tasked with protecting US Presidents and other high ranking government officials when they were in Greece. The guy had personal photos with them. He is also friends with special forces counterparts in the US.
I guess these guys form friendships during training exercises and what not.
But having said that, although I think there's a possibility, I think it's a little far fetched.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Hello everyone

I have been reading for a while ATS but I never engaged in the Forum, so this would be my first post!

This might be an old thread, but since I come from Cyprus I thought of updating you with few information for this tragic incident.

For starters, the dead were 13! I have read before someone writing that an injured that had no eyes, mouth and nose due to the explosion, for been unknown for everyone there! No this is false. This was a 18 year old soldier who assisted on getting down the fire. Later on he passed away and his organs were donated and saved many lives.

Between the dead there were also two twin soldiers! (personally knew them) Both of them assisted too for the extinguish of the fire!

The Naval commander was present after he was informed for the fire. He then went there directly to assist the situation. DUE TO HIS COMMANDS, we did not have more killed!! When he went there he ordered all the soldiers to jump into the sea and others to take refuge under the ground! The soldier who did assist to extinguishing the fire went there by themselves to assist the firemen!

Here are some links during the blast and after!

During
www.youtube.com...

The terrifying sound of the biggest blast recorder from a small marine near by
www.youtube.com...

10 minutes after the explosion two soldiers went searching for survivers
www.youtube.com...

UPDATE: An eye-witness, observed a red light beam at 4:10-4:15 in the morning, falling from the sky directly into the naval base. While the eye-witness was talking live during the news, he line went dead!

edit on 19-1-2012 by LOK31 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2012 by LOK31 because: new update

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LOK31

[q]UPDATE: An eye-witness, observed a red light beam at 4:10-4:15 in the morning, falling from the sky directly into the naval base. While the eye-witness was talking live during the news, he line went dead!

I have heard of this but could not verify it so i was unable to mention it. So that makes two of us, although i wasn't aware of a beam but rather a flash so i assumed it was from the explosion.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I can give you the link from the live show but its in greek... yeah could possibly be from the explosion since the light is faster than sound.... most likely what he saw was the explosion followed seconds after with the sound.

edit on 19-1-2012 by LOK31 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LOK31

Sure, post the link up here, no need to ask as i do read/write and speak both modern and ancient greek among other languages.

Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
One year already passed... and no one has yet to be punished........

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Indeed its been one full year and it only seems like yesterday that i was posting this thread and very true and sad that noone was found guilty of negligence. I guess all that we can say is that it was one of those accidents that one tries to put behind him as fast as possible.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Indeed its been one full year and it only seems like yesterday that i was posting this thread and very true and sad that noone was found guilty of negligence. I guess all that we can say is that it was one of those accidents that one tries to put behind him as fast as possible.

Based on the evidence... this is no where close of being an accidence! This is negligence on the top! People havent yet being punished because they have power! I am curios what will follow and who will take the blame!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join