It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight dead in Cyprus military base blast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

That is correct the death toll is more than likely to rise and that fact that several people have not been accounted for has promted the coast guard to begin searching in the sea as they may have been thrown into the ocean due to the force of explosion.

Measurements taken at the initial scene of the first explosion have resulted in a 50 meter wide crater. The second explosion was within the power plant that was triggered by the first. The actual power station or what has been left of it survived due to a man made mountain with a height of 50 meters that withstood the force of the explosion thus shielding the power plant from a direct hit.
edit on 11-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sounds like a very bad accident.....just one spark or lit cigarette butt thrown away could cause this much damage if there was a large haul of gun powder.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
update:

The ambassador of Iran was seen entering a meeting behind closed door with high officials from the Cypriot military and intelligence branch , apparently the Cypriot government is asking specific information regarding the complete cargo of the 98 containers.

Once again, no tourists have been injured or otherwise.

update 2 :

The minister of defense has resigned due to his poor leadership that resulted in the loss of lives and injuries.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a few points -

1 the news links clearly states that a small fire - which was being responded to - set off sympathetic detonations

2 - the exact inventory was not even known

3 - who the hell stores munitions next to a powerstation ?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The Minister of Defence addressing the nation regarding his resignation due to the loss of life and injuries that have occurred from the explosion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

i am not being rude - or demanding any personal info - but which cyprus posts did you serve at

you can just answer - brittish , greek cypriot or turkish cypriot

although the last will offend you if you are greek

my point - to put it bluntly - is that standadrds are different at the british posts - a lot different

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by 2012king

i am not being rude - or demanding any personal info - but which cyprus posts did you serve at

you can just answer - brittish , greek cypriot or turkish cypriot

although the last will offend you if you are greek

my point - to put it bluntly - is that standadrds are different at the british posts - a lot different

I served at Episkopi, Dhekelia and Akrotiri. I didnt serve on the base in question but i am assuming that the standards kept there were of a similair if not higher standard to the 3 i did serve on.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Hang on, the minister of defense is resigning? Surely that is a little strange if it was an accident.............

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king

Hang on, the minister of defense is resigning? Surely that is a little strange if it was an accident.............

Yes he has resigned due to his lack of leadership in preventing such an accident. You must understand and i know you do that the cypriot military is always in a ready state mode since 74 and as asked above on what side you were, well that obviously is something we do not discuss in public.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

6 of the 8 BBC Transmitters have been taken out. Was this the target?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
update:

12 and 62 injured so far. News of a mother who lost both her sons in the explosion has been confirmed.

The iranian ambassador to greece has also been contacted and apparently a high level meeting is also being conducted behind closed doors.

I fear that there is more to this story than whats going on, considering Secretary of State H. Clinton is scheduled to arrive in Greece this Sunday, lets see how things pan out in the following hours.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

6 of the 8 BBC Transmitters have been taken out. Was this the target?

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yes that is correct, although the Mount Olympus and Agios Nikolaos echelon bases were not affected.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am not sure why but for some reason i had it in my head that this was a british base.
I was half asleep when i first saw the news so this might be it

Anyway, some of my previous points may not be valid but i still think that whoever was on the base at the time, be it Cypriot UN or British, should have been trained and prepared to deal with anything that could have an adverse effect on items being stored on their base.
I really dont see this being an accident.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It has been estimated that 460 tons of munitions exploded. The reason there is no footage of the naval base across the news is simply because it has been leveled to the ground or has random structures that indicate anything but a naval base.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
One of only two photos available for public viewing of the containers that housed the 460 tons of munitions before the explosion.

Part of the naval base that is still standing

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

..you do realize the one line rule only applies if it doesn't add anything to the discussion? I think the mod was asking a fair question. I don't think the case is that it had anything to do with Ghaddafi, but this is a conspiracy site. A link didn't really need to be supplied as everything you need to know for a quick google was in his post.

I'd rather see a hundred one line posts than one post that is a line and says "second line" under it. I did that for like a week when I first came here.. then realized it was really stupid.

Anyway.. I would say it was likely an accident, but who knows it's still early.

edit on 11-7-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

It is highly likely a horrible accident; if not, had nothing to do with Ghaddafi - who sent two officials to Israel yesterday in talks with Netanyahu. Israel and Cyprus are on good relations. If there would be any finger pointing I'd be pointing in the direction of Hizbollah, Assad or Iran. Most definately NOT Libya!!!

So until we hear otherwise, we should assume this is an accident.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
it has been reported but not confirmed that a branch from the military and intelligence sector from greece along with u.s. officials have both landed in cyprus to help with the investigations.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Around ammunition dumps or storage facilities there are obvious signs posted...no radio traffic within a certain distance. No fires, smoking...open flames et al.

Also dont wear clothing which produces static electricity...polyesters and such. Much of this is common sense stuff except to peoples who have never been around such sites.
I believe these were explosives...not necessarily small arms ammunitons.
Chemical explosives change their stability levels under different temperatures though I am not sure of the detioration rates of different types over years of time. Same with the detonators. Obvioiusly you dont store them in the same close proximity. I think this is sometimes refered to as shelf life.

I too think this is a bad accident and not a terrorist attack.
However..politics is a very different creature.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join